Consumer Reports won't recommend iPhone 4

Mickeylittle

Zealot
Gold
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Good thing I'm not selling mine. Phew!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe
What about next June? Are you selling it then? What if Apple comes up with a fix and all ip4s produced after say 8/1/10 are stable but you kept yours due to no problems. Come next June when you go to sell it, if the production date becomes a well known issue, then you will have a hard time getting $100.

This is great news for me because my reception is crap. So my plan is to call Apple today or tomorrow and see if they have a plan. If not then I'm returning mine because I fully believe that they are working on a design change and I doubt it will take a long time for them to have it on the market.

Skb2000

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 1, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
www.sherrylbuchler.com
Will everyone be happy if Apple sent them a free Bumper? I doubt it. There is no question that for what ever reason, Apple screwed up here. Do you want them to do a whole new design? Are you willing to wait for it? If you got a free bumper would you use it or still get something else? Lets get real here. We, the customers, have been clamoring for a new model. Apple complied... perhaps a bit faster than they should have... How many innovative products on the market are perfect when they are released? Can we live happily with what we have or are we going to continue to ***** and moan? Get a case folks and move on! For those of you with Camera issues, this is a different story and it looks like Apple has been good about replacing those phones. Make sure you don't have a case that blocks the flash and remember to take off the plastic from the back! I love my phone and would have gotten a case for it no matter what. I suspect that many of you who are complaining would have as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

MSchott

Jul 10, 2010
i'm sure Apple has a hardware problem on some of the iPhone 4 units. However, mine, which arrived last week does not and the device seems to work as well as a phone as did my 3G. No matter how I hold the phone I don't lose any signal strength according to the phone's meter.

Certainly the operating system is much faster, the call clarity is better and the graphics are in a different league. The folder feature is great.

Overall the iPhone 4 is a significant leap above its predecessors.

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
What about next June? Are you selling it then? What if Apple comes up with a fix and all ip4s produced after say 8/1/10 are stable but you kept yours due to no problems. Come next June when you go to sell it, if the production date becomes a well known issue, then you will have a hard time getting $100.

This is great news for me because my reception is crap. So my plan is to call Apple today or tomorrow and see if they have a plan. If not then I'm returning mine because I fully believe that they are working on a design change and I doubt it will take a long time for them to have it on the market.
I doubt that. My phone works fine and doesn't have any of the issues people are reporting. Besides, i am hoping this phone will last me the full two years. Sick of all this eBay, AT&T, and Apple hoopla just for a new phone. I'm sure if v1 phones are still getting over $100 on bay i could sell this for more. I coiled probably sell it now for way more than I got it for.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I don't read CR anyway, so I could care less what they think. I can do my own research and think for myself and what I think is the 4 is a great phone and I am very happy with it.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm not saying there isn't a major flaw with the iPhone 4 that needs to be addressed, but Consumer Reports' "recommendations" have lost a bit of weight in the past decade in my eyes. Their testing on some things has been suspect enough for me not to really use them as a trusted source anymore.

snowape

Bronze
Jun 17, 2009
Im sure if Apple produces a fix for the hardware issue, at the very least, you will have the option of sending your phone in to fix it. Most likely they will replace the defective unit with a new improved model. Just like when a vehicle has a "recall" you take your vehicle in and have it fixed. Apple is not going to say to millions of consumers, internationally, "sorry the new one is just better and you have to buy a new one."

I also like how CR suggests putting duct tape on your phone..... Im really gonna duct tape a $300.00 phone..... thanks, but no thanks, I'll just go with a case to solve the problem.

Mickeylittle

Zealot
Gold
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Im sure if Apple produces a fix for the hardware issue, at the very least, you will have the option of sending your phone in to fix it. Most likely they will replace the defective unit with a new improved model. Just like when a vehicle has a "recall" you take your vehicle in and have it fixed. Apple is not going to say to millions of consumers, internationally, "sorry the new one is just better and you have to buy a new one."

I also like how CR suggests putting duct tape on your phone..... Im really gonna duct tape a $300.00 phone..... thanks, but no thanks, I'll just go with a case to solve the problem.
I've got a case, ifrogz, on mine and my bars drop the same, with or without the case. But the bottom line here remains that people with decent phone reception just keep telling us without that there is no real issue! Thanks...

The shoe isn't on the other foot. It's on mine so goodbye iPhone 4!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I've got a case, ifrogz, on mine and my bars drop the same, with or without the case. But the bottom line here remains that people with decent phone reception just keep telling us without that there is no real issue! Thanks...

The shoe isn't on the other foot. It's on mine so goodbye iPhone 4!
Speaking of shoes on other feet, one shouldn't expect everyone to feel the same level or anger and betrayal from Apple if we're not all experiencing the same issues. It's obviously a problem, but it's also obviously more of a problem to some than others.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
I'm not saying there isn't a major flaw with the iPhone 4 that needs to be addressed, but Consumer Reports' "recommendations" have lost a bit of weight in the past decade in my eyes. Their testing on some things has been suspect enough for me not to really use them as a trusted source anymore.
Site some examples please...cause I think you are totally wrong.

I for one am glad that a neutral third party like CR is out there. They tested the phone and PROVED there is an issue, despite the fact that Apple says there isn't one. Without an organization like this we would only have the manufacter spin on everything.

Just curious...if you do not believe in CR then who do you rely on for this trusted information?

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
Speaking of shoes on other feet, one shouldn't expect everyone to feel the same level or anger and betrayal from Apple if we're not all experiencing the same issues. It's obviously a problem, but it's also obviously more of a problem to some than others.
Lets not minimize the issue by saying that some are willing to accept it. That is not relevant.

There is a flaw with the phone. It should be acknowledged and fixed promptly.

Mickeylittle

Zealot
Gold
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
That's what I was saying! You with good reception can't empathize with those without. My problem since day one has been the attitude of the lucky owners saying that we're making a mountain out of a molehill! Now CR won't endorse the phone but they're not really reliable anyway, Apple says they calculated some measurements wrong and more and more people recognize that as a crap excuse but it's not acceptable to talk bad about them! So screw it! Mine's going back. And yes, tell me I should have sent it back 3 weeks ago instead of complaining but I was really hoping for a fix!

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
That's what I was saying! You with good reception can't empathize with those without.
But one can at least sympathize with those people who had acceptable coverage on their previous iPhone but get no service on their iPhone 4 when holding it. It's not that all the phones don't have the issue, it's that signal strength determines how noticeable it is to the end user.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
ZipZap, CR's ratings of several products I've used over the years have just raised an eyebrow on more than one occasion. I'm not saying they don't serve a valuable purpose, it's just that they are not infallible. I think they are spot on with their testing of this situation, though, so perhaps my opinion of CR is of no importance here. I apologize for the tangent.

And Mickey, while I do empathize with you, I can't be angry at Apple until the full story unfolds. I think it's ridiculous how long it's taking, but I'm pretty confident Apple will do us right in the end. I just have the luxury of patience due to my minimal experience with the problems.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I've got a case, ifrogz, on mine and my bars drop the same, with or without the case.
Mickey, that sounds abnormal to me - even with the deathgrip problems. Everything i have heard indicates if you have a non-conductive material covering the antenna, your reception should be at least as good as with a 3G or 3GS. Have you tried getting a replacement from the Apple store? Yours could be MORE defective than the rest...

as for CR, i have a feeling some grandstanding may be going on here. It would surely be a great feather in their hat to have run this story just before Apple releases a fix for the issue.

Mickeylittle

Zealot
Gold
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Mickey, that sounds abnormal to me - even with the deathgrip problems. Everything i have heard indicates if you have a non-conductive material covering the antenna, your reception should be at least as good as with a 3G or 3GS. Have you tried getting a replacement from the Apple store? Yours could be MORE defective than the rest...

as for CR, i have a feeling some grandstanding may be going on here. It would surely be a great feather in their hat to have run this story just before Apple releases a fix for the issue.
No I haven't. Mine drops consistently, case or no case. If I hold the phone using only the top half it works fine. It doesn't require a death grip, I can barely hold it. I guess I'll call Apple although they're probably getting slammed with calls.

Potter

Bronze
Jun 16, 2010
How odd, no Consumer Reports threads at Apple discussions... Betcha the mods over there are busy.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
Can't recommend it? Don't think Apple gives a crap seeing how there is still a waiting list at most Apple stores to get one. And there has yet to be a headline reading "all iPhone 4 users are returning their phones". It's hard for me to call this an antenna issue sense the antenna works perfectly if nobody plays defense on it. I understand how in principle people could be outraged that they can't hold their phone a certain way, but in reality steve jobs fixed the issue a while ago if you want to make a call move your hand accordingly. My main problem with these complaints is that every time somebody wants to prove the issue they cover the antenna of there phone, sense when did Apple promise the antenna would work while the antenna is hampered?

Anyway that's my little rant

Mickeylittle

Zealot
Gold
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Can't recommend it? Don't think Apple gives a crap seeing how there is still a waiting list at most Apple stores to get one. And there has yet to be a headline reading "all iPhone 4 users are returning their phones". It's hard for me to call this an antenna issue sense the antenna works perfectly if nobody plays defense on it. I understand how in principle people could be outraged that they can't hold their phone a certain way, but in reality steve jobs fixed the issue a while ago if you want to make a call move your hand accordingly. My main problem with these complaints is that every time somebody wants to prove the issue they cover the antenna of there phone, sense when did Apple promise the antenna would work while the antenna is hampered?

Anyway that's my little rant
This is my point Dave!
No I'm not talking to you Kevlar ;-)