Consumer Reports won't recommend iPhone 4

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
As one who is always a little cautious when it comes version 1.0 of new tech items, I'm glad that the 3GS I got on July 12th last year has performed so well with iOS4 to allow me time for things to settle out. I used to be an avid subscriber and reader of CR for many years but I outgrew them thanks to the internet and other consumer information resources.

I sincerely hope Apple will man up and fix this but they also need to be more upfront with their customers in the future and stop be so secretive and stop playing "father knows best". The majority of the customer base are adults who can handle the truth and can make their own INFORMED decisions.

YMMV

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
I sincerely have empathy for anyone that is having issues with their phones. I can imagine how anxious you all were to get the phone so early in its life cycle (day one for many I assume). I happen to live in an area called Belle Harbor (near the ocean) in one of the outer Boros of NYC. I have a strong signal where I live and I actually have another AT&T phone (for work) that shows five bars too. I have tried to hold my iPhone (I am a lefty too) in a way so that the bars would diminish. I simply can't do it. Even in areas of Long Island where I work I can't replicate this loss of signal issue.

On the contrary, I truly have to say that my service overall has improved. I no longer drop calls when driving and voice quality has improved (though marginally). I do not doubt for a minute that there exists a problem. I am wondering if it is a batch of phones that are faulty or merely the fact that those experiencing the problem live in fringe areas where the signal is not that great.

If I was experiencing the problem that others are complaining about here I would not even hesitate to bring the phone back to Apple. Common sense tells you that this is definitely not a software issue. Why aren't people going to the Apple store and showing the reps what happens when you hold the phone? I would do that, but then I just realized that some people who have the phone do not live close to an Apple store and it would be inconvenient for them.

I know Apple keeps track of returns as a percent of sales. Any large businesss does. If there is a higher ratio of returns for a particular product then Apple will realize there indeed is a problem. If it is hardware related this is going to be a public relations nightmare for them. Why haven't they even said anything? There is not even an update regarding the firmware release date.

I am definitely keeping mine because I have no issues. I am an extremely fussy consumer. If I buy something and it does not meet my expectations, I return it. Plain and simple. I think everyone on this forum who is having issues should wait no further. Return your phones and tell Apple you'll gladly buy again when they fix the problem. If you are going to sit on the fence, then please don't complain anymore as no one here can help you. You have the power my friends, return your defective units.

Oh..as an aside, I just received my white bumper today and though it is overpriced, I really like it a lot. It makes the phone look like it is actually part of it. It also protects the front and back if you place it face down on a table. As for protection for dropping, well we all know you need a heavy duty case to prevent damage but that is just not something I'm prepared to do.

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008
Yes, we all know there is a problem, BUT this testing debunks Apples reports of this being a "software" issue, and we now know that it is a much larger issue. Apple better get off their high horse and admit failure for once, and do the right thing. I love Apple just as much as the next guy, but come on, step up!
The problem here is there are too many Apple fanboys here. They will accept anything Apple says and minmize the issue.
Too bad they don't emphasize with those who have issues.
There several big issues(death grip, camera, yellow bands, bluetooth etc)with iPhone 4 for many people and yet Apple has said nothing

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah. fanboys. THAT'S the problem. as long as we fanboys are out there Apple won't fix anything.

anyway, people don't emphasize any experiences but their own. I don't choose to not care about signal issues because i think Apple's infallible; i don't care because it doesn't affect me. neither do yellow pictures.

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008
yeah. fanboys. THAT'S the problem. as long as we fanboys are out there Apple won't fix anything.

anyway, people don't emphasize any experiences but their own. I don't choose to not care about signal issues because i think Apple's infallible; i don't care because it doesn't affect me. neither do yellow pictures.
Nope never said fanboys were the problem but here , many seem to think Apple is infallible and if they don't have the issue it is no big deal and get over it.

My camera is not perfect, if I hold the phone correctly I get the signal to drop(this has been less lately), significant BT issues but I do not defend Apple..I understand these issues exist. I am not running out to change my phone either.

I am disappointed as all I hear is how great Apple is and their CS is wonderful. Yet I hear so many cant get phones exchanged or fair help. One person was told they could exchange it but they had no phones and wont get any till the 30day return period is up and they may do nothing for the person. WTF.

I love Apple I own their stock and I think their products are nice and their businesss model is amazing right now. But I will call like I see it. They are not doing well in my eyes right now. The iPhone4 is a premium priced phone and I expect it to work. Sorry, I feel that way.

Potter

Bronze
Jun 16, 2010
Nope never said fanboys were the problem but here , many seem to think Apple is infallible and if they don't have the issue it is no big deal and get over it.

My camera is not perfect, if I hold the phone correctly I get the signal to drop(this has been less lately), significant BT issues but I do not defend Apple..I understand these issues exist. I am not running out to change my phone either.

I am disappointed as all I hear is how great Apple is and their CS is wonderful. Yet I hear so many cant get phones exchanged or fair help. One person was told they could exchange it but they had no phones and wont get any till the 30day return period is up and they may do nothing for the person. WTF.

I love Apple I own their stock and I think their products are nice and their businesss model is amazing right now. But I will call like I see it. They are not doing well in my eyes right now. The iPhone4 is a premium priced phone and I expect it to work. Sorry, I feel that way.
Might want to dump that stock Neal...Tanked almost 2.35 today on news from CR.

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008
Might want to dump that stock Neal...Tanked almost 2.35 today on news from CR.
Nope got it at $86 a share, wish I had bought more, much more. Price dropped less than 1%, not really a drop at all.

Potter

Bronze
Jun 16, 2010
you won't last long trading stocks if you're prone to knee-jerk reactions.
I understand what your saying. My point being how susceptible a company is on bad news and given Apple's blasé response some who know more than I with regards to investing say Apple is walking on thin ice.

PS: I don't invest in stocks ever.

RichR

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Can't recommend it? Don't think Apple gives a crap seeing how there is still a waiting list at most Apple stores to get one. And there has yet to be a headline reading "all iPhone 4 users are returning their phones". It's hard for me to call this an antenna issue sense the antenna works perfectly if nobody plays defense on it. I understand how in principle people could be outraged that they can't hold their phone a certain way, but in reality steve jobs fixed the issue a while ago if you want to make a call move your hand accordingly. My main problem with these complaints is that every time somebody wants to prove the issue they cover the antenna of there phone, sense when did Apple promise the antenna would work while the antenna is hampered?

Anyway that's my little rant

Are you serious? Look, I have always been an iPhone fan but the fact remains that I can hold this phone for under 30 secs and see the bars drop before my eyes. I have NEVER had that happen with any other phone I've owned. And the response that Apple gives? Sounds like you have alittle apple-fanboyism man... I can honestly say that the phone is amazing and at the same time say this MUST be addressed. Personnaly, I would like to see them do the right thing here. If not, they will lose ALOT of credit from many people and the next launch may not be as good. This report from CR is bigger than you think. Because of the CR report, channel 7 news ABC had it on there top stories. I have people from all over laughing about this. My father in-law that knows NOTHING about cell phones is even busting my chops cause I own the new iPhone. God for bid I drop a call. I get a return call back asking if I was holding the phone the right way... See how that stems out...

That's MY rant!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Can we please stop using the words "fanboy" and "whiner"? Both are nothing but antagonism and a detriment to actual discourse.

Mickeylittle

Zealot
Gold
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Are you serious? Look, I have always been an iPhone fan but the fact remains that I can hold this phone for under 30 secs and see the bars drop before my eyes. I have NEVER had that happen with any other phone I've owned. And the response that Apple gives? Sounds like you have alittle apple-fanboyism man... I can honestly say that the phone is amazing and at the same time say this MUST be addressed. Personnaly, I would like to see them do the right thing here. If not, they will lose ALOT of credit from many people and the next launch may not be as good. This report from CR is bigger than you think. Because of the CR report, channel 7 news ABC had it on there top stories. I have people from all over laughing about this. My father in-law that knows NOTHING about cell phones is even busting my chops cause I own the new iPhone. God for bid I drop a call. I get a return call back asking if I was holding the phone the right way... See how that stems out...

That's MY rant!
That last line is funny! That's what I need is for my friends to call back and remind me of the proper iPhone 4 holding instructions! That's sweet!

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
I was reading the consumer reports article somewhere else & at the bottom it read that a judge had approved a class action suit against Apple.

RPMSTL

Bronze
Jun 22, 2009
I do not own an iPhone 4 but did play with a friends the other night.

Picked up phone in his kitchen - 5 bars and full Wifi meter. Touched the left black bar while holding the phone like I was going to make a call. Within 10 seconds the phone lost 2 bars on the cell side and 1 bar on the wifi meter. Released my hold and bars returned within a few seconds. I did not make a call so I can't say reception was a problem, simply reporting on seeing the bars drop with my own eyes.

My buddy says the iPhone 4's reception and voice quality are better than his 3G. Stated the wifi reception was much better as well.

Personally, I am waiting on this upgrade for a while to see how it plays out. My 3GS drops calls each and every day.

Can you hear me now?

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
My 3GS drops calls too on occasion but it's because my girlfriend & a couple other friends have sprint & verizon.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
I always gotta throw my 0.02 in the mix. On the reception issue...using a case is a "fix" and I have no objection since I use cases anyway. Some people don't or they are just incensed that Apple suggests a case as a solution. The bluetooth issue is annoying. I alway use my bluetooth and if it doesn't sound good I am not happy. I have done several voicemail tests and while I can be heard the sound quality sucks. I thought it was ok but it isn't. The camera issue is also annoying. Great pics in daylight and bright light but low light and cases cause crappy pics. Can these issues be fixed with firmware updates? I am counting on it. Apple isn't the only smartphone that has issues on launch so let's be real about that. I DO empathize with those having issues. I think Apple's warranty has prevented a lot of people from returning the phone. Apple's customer service IS great and there is more positive than negative in that regard. Just because a poster says they aren't having issues in no way means they don't empathize with those that are having them. We are sharing information good and bad. Who thinks Apple is infallible? I have not gotten that from anyone on this board.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
I have an iPhone and don't have the problem as do others, so this issue is not a blanket iPhone 4 issue like people make it out to be. If you have the issue treat it like a typical tech problem and get tech support. If it's really that big of a problem then take it back but that's the thing it's not a big issue, it's the biggest by far issue in the iPhone but relatively it's not. If NYC or Sony or nokia had this it wouldn't get more than a sentence or two in a tech review. And at the end of the day the iPhone 4 is perfect in every other way, worst case scenario is that you have to sacrifice by moving your finger a millimeter or so up or down. I understand this can be very annoying for those who suffer for it and I empathize with you in that but there is a quick and instant fix that nobody seems to want to use. Can we jus t enjoy our iPhone 4's and talk about beneficial things again please.