Contact address can't be found on Google map now

spud

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
seems this got lost in the 1.1.3 discussion thread:

or at least my iPhone is doing this. I upgraded to 1.1.3 and tried out the new google locator. It was pretty accurate, within 500-1000 feet or so. Problem is when I try to pull up a contact's address from my address book, the address does not go into the To section on google maps. I tried it from the From section as well. Anyone else tried this yet?

Mine has the same problem.

Same issue if you bring up a contact and then hit the address, it wont find it on the map anymore.

spud

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
I have found an answer.. However if you have many many addresses, this wont be helpful.

I deleted the address out of my contact.

I then typed in the address in google map search. It found the address and put a pin down.

I hit the arrow over and selected the option to add to current contact. I did that, and now it works fine.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
when I synced for the first time after upgrading, I had several contact conflicts regarding addresses (specifically, the country code was lower case "us" on the phone and capitalized "US" on the computer). So something definitely changed with the way the phone handles addresses in contacts. Could be related?

spud

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
Most definitely. I noticed when i did the search for address on the map then added to contact, the biggest difference in what i typed vs the map putting it in there is that everything was in all CAPS and instead of US...it says UNITED STATES.

I havn't tried manually typing it in a contact yet to see if it works better.. ill let you know.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Most definitely. I noticed when i did the search for address on the map then added to contact, the biggest difference in what i typed vs the map putting it in there is that everything was in all CAPS and instead of US...it says UNITED STATES.

I havn't tried manually typing it in a contact yet to see if it works better.. ill let you know.

I tried my contacts orig addresses and they worked fine.

spud

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
confirmed. when you add an address to a contact, you have to type everything (street, city) IN CAPS. make sure it says "UNITED STATES" NOT us or US also.

what a pain..

Xardis

Jul 10, 2007
One thing I have noticed on my maps since the update is that some streets that were once there are now gone. I created a bookmark several months ago for a specific address, but now the streets for that address are gone and so I cannot get directions from that bookmark anymore Has anyone else noticed this?

spyrwebs

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Travelin man, SOCAL
All of my contact and bookmark addresses work fine. I couldnt find one that didn't work.

All of my addresses has a capital first letter and the rest lower case. I do not see an option were you can type in US. But there is a drop down menu in "edit contacts" that you can pick United States or any other country, spelled out. Maybe you need the latest Vista Outlook.

Aug 11, 2007
I have about 600 contacts and thereforee can not

go through each to change them. This is an Apple problem that needs to be corrected. It is similare to the syncing problem with Outlook that many had until Apple made a change.

Keep posting if there is a better solution.
Thanks.

Aug 11, 2007
Okay, so I went into one contact

and click on the address and it opens google maps automatically, but comes up with Search not found. So I went back into the contact and clicked edit, went to the country link (which says just country) and then clicked on it, chose United States and done, and done. Now when I clidk the address in the contact it opens google maps and finds the address and puts it in the search bar above.
There is not way I am going to go through all my contacts and do this.

Aug 11, 2007
A little more playing with the contacts.

I use Outlook 2007. I went into the contact that I had changed on my iPhone and see that the country is not United States, instead of the normal United States of America. So I went into another contact in my Outlook and went to change the country code, there was only United States of America and no United States, so I manually typed in United States and saved it. Then I synced my iPhone and went into that contact. Again clicked on the address and it still comes up with "No Search Results Found". When i look at the contact on my iPhone the country says United States, but when I go into edit on that contact on the iPhone the Set Country tab is still not set. So I set it to United States under the North America title and save it. Now again the clients address works.

Basically it is a problem with Apple wanting the contact to now say United States and set on the iPhone under the North America group.

Joseph B

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
So I went back into the contact and clicked edit, went to the country link (which says just country) and then clicked on it, chose United States and done, and done. Now when I clidk the address in the contact it opens google maps and finds the address and puts it in the search bar above.
There is not way I am going to go through all my contacts and do this.
This works for me.

Fortunately, I only have about 40 contacts that include addresses (the rest are Phone/email/FAX numbers); so this is no big deal for me to fix. But I'd be pretty upset if I had to go through the above procedure for about 600 contacts with addresses!

jwhcowan

Jul 5, 2007
Bigger Maps Issue?

My home is on a walk street (beach). I have been able to use this address with no problems before 1.1.3 - I've had my phone since July.

If I use maps to search for the bookmarked address, or my contact address it drops a pin on it.

If I use maps to get directions from my home to xyz using my bookmarked address, or my contact address it maps it.

However, if I ask maps for directions to my home from xyz using a bookmark, a contact or by manually typing it in it fails EVERY time. I can even get results from my place to xyz then tap the reverse icon and it fails!

I tried everything.... BUT, WAIT There's more :) I tested this on a 1.1.2 hacked phone.... and it has the exact same problem. I wonder if google maps was also updated on Tues. I know of some international addresses that could not be located before this week, and now they are there.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
I saw this thread so i thought id check to see if my contacts are coming up in maps, about half were and half werent, so i wanted to see if there were typing errors, and sure enough, i put in some spaces that shouldnt have been, and some contacts have Road abbreviated to Rd. and Street to St., so when i typed the St. and Rd. out to Street and Road, it made those contacts come up in maps. Apparently there is no margin for error in the contact fields, and no abriviations, give it check to see if this is the reason why its not coming up in your maps.

Jan 12, 2008
This is most annoying, but, can be resolved...

I have done experimenting with my system. Here's what I found.

I am running Windows XP, Outlook 2007.

If you create a contact on the iPhone, it defaults to country="United States". Clicking on the address will work with google map, just fine.

If you edit an existing contact, on the iPhone, and set country="United States" (scroll all the way to the bottom of the list), google maps will then find the address just fine.

So, I'm thinking, I'll edit all my contacts in outlook and it will be easier. Guess what boys and girls, iTunes doesn't sync that field (apparently doesn't recognize the update), so on the iPhone, it still says "United States of America", and google Maps doesn't find it.

Someone messed up. Either Apple, or Google, but this needs a fix. Now. It shouldn't that difficult, but, don't break it back! United States, OR United States of America should work!

Mat

mwimsatt

Feb 14, 2008
Wy it seems to be unpredictable...

Here's my theory (some of which I collected on here):

It doesn't work if Outlook had the country field filled in before you synced the contact (at least if that country is "United States" or "United States of America"). The Address Book doesn't recognize the country (not completely true) so it just includes it in the general address field, along with street address, city, state, ZIP, etc.

Since it appears that they have to include a country to make it work (maybe they didn't before?) they have to make an assumption about all those addresses without country info, so they append "United States" unless they know otherwise. Since they don't recognize the country field from Outlook as the actual country in the database, they treat the address like it is an unknown country and append the default country name again.

Now if you type an address plus "United States" plus "United States" again, Google Maps doesn't know what to do with that. Try it on their standard web interface. Now, I said above that Address Book doesn't recognize the country field from Outlook, but that's obviously not 100% true, since when you manually set the country in the iPhone it seems to replace the country name download from Outlook. So, they can get there, but probably didn't get around to it for this release.

I can imagine the conversation:

"Um, OK, so you're saying you don't have time to finish the part where the iTunes sync automatically translates Outlook's USA naming convention to the standard format we need in or database? OK, let's prioritize this..."

"How many Outlook users do you know who actually enter the country name in their contacts?"

"The guy who knows an Outlook user (this is Apple/Google after all) left early to go mountain biking."

Everyone looks at one another.

"What about Europeans? What if they don't enter a country? Won't it assume the address is in the US?"

"Aren't they all traveling all over the place all the time anyway? They each speak, like, five langauges. Entering the country there is like entering the state here. Right?"

"OK, low priority."