Contact Groups

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by silvermoon, Mar 27, 2014.

1. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I was going through my contacts and cleaning out old contacts. I wanted to organize them into a group, but I could not find a way to add a new group in the Contacts app. Is there a way to add new groups?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You'll need to log into iCloud on your MacBook to do this. The groups will sync to your iPhone after you add them on the computer.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ph2667

3. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Sadly, this can't be done in the contacts app. 3rd part app or syncing via something like Outlook is the only way I know of. Maybe there is another option for Mac users?

4. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

This is a major omission - being able to add Groups on your iPhone - that I read was being addressed in iOS 8. I had hoped that 7.1 would bring this feature but alas, no soap.

5. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Yeah, I agree that something like this could not be too difficult to add in iOS 8. It's a shame that small features like this were not even a part of iOS 7.

6. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Thanks. I was hoping it could be done on the phone.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It can be done on iCloud.com on a Mac or PC.

Screen Shot 2014-03-27 at 8.32.25 AM.png

#7 Europa, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  8. Vcoronel127

Vcoronel127 Member
    Bronze

I hope they address this with iOS 8. I'm still waiting for them smart group contacts.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

That app seems to be meant only to export your contact list to a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet and vice versa. I guess this would be useful if you need to share all your contacts with someone else who doesn't have an iPhone and for whatever reason they wanted all your contacts' details in an Excel spreadsheet. I can't think of many scenarios where this would be super useful in 2014... except maybe at your workplace, the boss has suddenly changed everyone with a job title of "Sandwich maker" to a new job title called "Sandwich artist", and there were 587 employees affected by this change; I could see how it would be easier to change them all using a spreadsheet as opposed to going into each employee's contact card individually.

You mentioned that you set up a group titled "Family" and later noticed the group was listed in the contacts on your phone, but this is just because "Family" happens to be one of the the default group names built into iOS (the other two being "Dining" and "Friends").

Try setting up a group titled "Geeks" and you'll notice that that new group will not be listed.

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I figured something like that. I haven't even looked at it that close. I doubt I'll ever use it for anything. It's just another useless app in my purchased list. I have a few.