Contact Lists

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Stargrrl

Jun 30, 2007
I'd like to have two separate contacts lists, one for one of my businessses and one for the other anyone know of a way to do this on the iPhone?

Thanks,
Stargrrl

Jul 2, 2007
I'd like to have two separate contacts lists, one for one of my businessses and one for the other anyone know of a way to do this on the iPhone?

Thanks,
Stargrrl
if your on a mac its easy. just create a group in your address book. then drag those contacts to that group. once sync'd your new group will appear on your phone.

Jul 2, 2007
That would be nice. One of the
main reasons I got the iPhone
was because I assumed it would
have advanced sorting and grouping
in the contacts.
it can and it can't. when you sync your phone to your computer is loads that info. so if you have groups set up in your contacts, then you will have groups set up on your phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeadSpider

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Vacherie,Louisiana
it can and it can't. when you sync your phone to your computer is loads that info. so if you have groups set up in your contacts, then you will have groups set up on your phone.
Hrmm.... I will see if I can set that up when
I get home from work. Thanks. I will just have
to figure out where on my pc I modify the contacts.

*EDIT*
Thank you, I figured how to do the groups.
Happy Meter = :p

uptodate

Sep 28, 2009
managing contact groups

not sure if any of you are still looking for ways to manage contact groups, but there are a number of applications that'll do this. For instance: Buddy Groups, Bump, ABContacts, etc.

Most cost money, but I downloaded the free Buddy Groups Lite and it handles everything I need: grouping contacts, trading contacts (over wifi/bluetooth), sending photos, etc. I'd recommend giving it a try.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
We are a 2 - 3GS household. How do I keep our contact lists separate when we sync in iTunes?
If you each make a group for your contacts and place ALL of your contacts in that group...then use the sync for "selected" groups you should be able to select your group. Just need to remember put a check next to your group each time you sync. Definitely can't have iTunes on auto sync to do this. Or you could leave both groups checked and have them on each iPhone if you don't want to bother remembering to change it for each sync. Just select your group when using the phone. Easy to do if using Windows Address Book....a bit more complicated if you are using Outlook. Which program are you using to sync contacts?

rohantmh

Aug 28, 2007
Humble, TX
If you each make a group for your contacts and place ALL of your contacts in that group...then use the sync for "selected" groups you should be able to select your group. Just need to remember put a check next to your group each time you sync. Definitely can't have iTunes on auto sync to do this. Or you could leave both groups checked and have them on each iPhone if you don't want to bother remembering to change it for each sync. Just select your group when using the phone. Easy to do if using Windows Address Book....a bit more complicated if you are using Outlook. Which program are you using to sync contacts?
Microsoft Outlook

Oct 15, 2009
anyone using Yahoo contacts?

I am trying to figure out the best way to keep up to date contact info for a club i am a part of. Normally i use Excel but that can't be modified on the phone. my next thought was to use my Yahoo account but it doesn't sync in groups as you all have been discussing. All the contacts transfered but not in any divisions. Do you think i should try a different approach?
Thanks for your help.

Angelika

Nov 24, 2009
I have a iPhone 3gs and use OE.
In OE, create your groups in the address phone. I have 2 groups, Family and Business. I actually have numerous groups, but these 2 groups were created specifically for my iPhone.

open iTunes. and have your iPhone plugged in to your computer.
Under the device link ( in left column ) select your iPhone.
numerous tabs across the top will appear.
select "info".
in the contacts section I have these items checked:
Sync contacts with Windows Address Book.
Selected Groups (under this section all my contact groups are listed, and I have checked ONLY those groups I want on my iPhone).

Works real sweet!

I can update either from my iPhone or in OE and everytime I plug in my iPhone, iTunes checks for updates on both and updates the other.

I discovered this technique because when I first got my iPhone, it downloaded every contact in my OE address book. That was the default it was set at. Whoooaaa! So after much research I discovered how to replace it with the list I really needed in my phone.