Contact pictures, do they need to stay in Photos?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by fsas06, Oct 1, 2014.

1. fsas06

fsas06 Member
    Silver

I was going to add some contacts photos, but it looks like they have to have the pictures saved in the Photos app. I deleted the pictures and some of the contacts pictures are gone, but others are still there. Ny cousin has photos assigned to contacts and has deleted the photos, but they are still set for the contact. Does anyone know?

#1 fsas06, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2014
  2. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

I know that contact photos have always been a mystery on the iOS devices in terms of how they behave if uploaded from a computer/outlook vs. added via the phone. As an experiment, I just took a photo with my phone and added it to a contact that was existing on my phone. It "uploaded" the photo from my recent photos and placed it in my contact. I then went and deleted the photo from the phone and it stayed in the contact. I'm currently using iOS 8.0.2. Not sure if that matters in this case.

3. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

They should get saved in the .vcf file of the individual contact. I've never had the problem you're describing and have used iPhones since 2007. Do you sync your contacts with iCloud?

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

If you sync contact photos from iCloud or Google contacts, the contact's photo will show small like it has in iOS 7. You need to enter the photos manually for them to show full screen like they did before iOS 7. If they have already been synced, and they show small, just delete them and enter the photo in from the photos app.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Yes, it stays in contacts if you delete it from the photos app.

6. fsas06

fsas06 Member
    Silver

i am on 8.0.2, im not sure if my contacts sync with icloud, i know they back up to cloud, but ill check that out and see...not sure if thats that same thing. and im just trying to get the contact photos for text landscape (i have 6+) and when you double hit home button it shows the pic on the top.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

How many contacts do you need photos for? If you have photos of these contacts in the Photos app, just put enter them in manually. Go to a contact. Tap "edit" in the top right. Then tap the photo or "add photo". You will get options. pick "Choose Photo. Pick out the photo to use and tap it. Then tap "Choose". Then tap "done" in the upper right.

8. fsas06

fsas06 Member
    Silver

its just for the few people that i frequently text, so maybe 7 or so pics, but those are the steps i have done and some pictures stay to the contact and 3 or 4 pictures disappear after i delete the pictures from my photos.

9. fsas06

fsas06 Member
    Silver

i wonder i fim deleting the picture to quickly and icloud hasn't had time to sync the photos to the contacts? ill leave the pictures in my photos for a little before i delete them to give cloud a chance to maybe sync the pics. if thats not it then i don't know why some pictures are staying and others are not.

10. Njshoremom4gurlz

Njshoremom4gurlz Contributor
    Silver

It stays on I have old pics on my contacts still lol

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

What has iCloud got to do with it? I don't sync contact photos from anywhere. I just manually add them from the Photos app. You may need to delete the synced photo, then add it back in from the photos app. Be sure you're adding the photos from the photo album "Recently Added" and not from "Shared". The contact photos should not vanish when you delete it from the Photos app. Why not sync? You can, but if you use a synced photo, when that person calls, their photo shows small up in the right corner. When they are entered in manually, they show full screen. Like this:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412431069.701442.jpg

12. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I've usually used MS Outlook to add the photos to my contacts and then sync the phone to my PC so most of the pictures were never on the phone to start with and I have never had a problem retaining the photos in my contacts on the phone or on my iPad.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Sent from my iPhone 5