Contact ringtones

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Does anyone have this working?

My caller ID works fine but the incoming call always rings with my default tone.

I've set the contact ringtone to both custom and stock ringtones with the same result.

I recall on my pocket PC phone that the issue was the number of contacts and the OS having to run through the whole list to find the ringtone, in which time the call had been answered or timed out.

I only have around 300 contacts on my iPhone so I don't think this is the issue.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Have you checked to ensure that the ringtone works on the phone? I mean by going into settings and sounds and making sure you can hear the ringtone WITHOUT having applied it to someone? I'm sure you have but just checking.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Yep, all ringtones work on the phone fine.

Whatever ringtone I have assigned to a contact it always plays the default ringtone, which can be any of the ringtones I have.

Mine is an unlocked 1.1.1 iPhone.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
What do you have set as your default ringtone? I highly doubt this will do anything, but try applying a stock Apple ringtone (such as Marimba) as your default and then go back through the contacts and select a contact and hit edit and make sure the ringtone you want is selected. Maybe having a default ringtone that is one you've added is messing it up.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
What version of the firmware? I'm using 1.1.2, and I've got custom ringtones set for a dozen or so people (all different ringtones). They work just fine. I can only guess maybe the ringtone isn't in the correct format? Does the ringtone play when you select it on the iPhone as the default ringer?

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
What version of the firmware? I'm using 1.1.2, and I've got custom ringtones set for a dozen or so people (all different ringtones). They work just fine. I can only guess maybe the ringtone isn't in the correct format? Does the ringtone play when you select it on the iPhone as the default ringer?
I'm using 1.1.1. All of the ringtones work as the default ringtone.

What do you have set as your default ringtone? I highly doubt this will do anything, but try applying a stock Apple ringtone (such as Marimba) as your default and then go back through the contacts and select a contact and hit edit and make sure the ringtone you want is selected. Maybe having a default ringtone that is one you've added is messing it up.
I'll give this a go tomorrow.

Thanks for the help, it's appreciated.