Contacts disappear!

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by Calico, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Calico

Calico New Member

I know it must be me but, I have 400 contacts. But when I connected to iTunes and set sync i lost them all!
    I am now worried about connecting again. Luckily I still had details on old phone but don't want to go through that again
    Any help or advice would be great?

2. offroadhunter

offroadhunter Member
    Silver

I also use iDrive lite, free from the app store and has saved me more than once.. works great

3. cdch

cdch New Member

If you are syncing to "outlook" you HAVE TO HAVE OUTLOOK AS YOUR DEFAULT EMAIL then re-sync.

4. kyleplusitunes

Silver

400 contracts? That's a lot of iPhones!

5. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

Are you sure? I flip between several defaults depending on what I am doing. Never lost any contacts. Or are you saying for initial set-up?

6. Watcher

Watcher Zealot
    Gold

Yes, I believe initial setup defaults to where it populates your phone with whatever the selection is to sync contacts from; and if that is currently empty, it will effectively erase what's on your iPhone! :D

7. fanboy

fanboy Member
    Bronze

Last night I left my phone plugged in to my computer to charge. The computer was locked (winblows Vista).

When I woke up the phone was in safe mode. I rebooted, everything looked ok, BUT my contacts are gone. All my recent calls, mail, etc are still in the phone.

My contacts are still in iCould. My mail/contacts settings are set to iClould.

Someone please help me out here, I have no idea what the issue is.

4S iO 5.1.1, Cydia

8. fanboy

fanboy Member
    Bronze

Update: I reomved my icloud contacts via settings and used my work mail account to see what would happen. My work contacts appeared in my phone.

So I removed my work contacts and entered my iCloud info. Nothing. I even trid rebooing the phone. Nothing., contacts are empty but e-mail, notes, calendar appear from iCloud.

9. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

This is a post on an Apple forum question similar to your issue.

"Go to settings/icloud on your phone. Make sure you are logged with your Apple id.
    Contacts should be on, click on it to turn it off and choose keep (even though you show no contacts)
    When the process is done go ahead and turn on contacts again, choose merge. All your contacts should show up if you had a previous backup to icloud.
    You don't have to restore your phone like the previous poster stated, the above worked perfect for me as I also had a blank list after a restore."

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3899761?start=0&tstart=0

If this does not work as people said it did, your contacts should also be saved via iTunes if it was set to backup your contacts when you backup/sync your iPhone. However, restoring via backup would obviously un-jailbreak your iPhone.

10. fanboy

fanboy Member
    Bronze

Thats good advice. Unfortunately it did not work for me.

How can i do a reset/restore and not loose my cydia apps & not have to update to iO6/7.

I jail broke, but i did not un-tether

4S iO5.1.1, Cydia

Sent using iCafe app

11. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I would not be the right person for this question. But I do know that if you have your firmware, iOS 5.1.1, saved on your computer, you can do a restore and revert back to iOS 5.1.1. You would only do this if one of your backups on iTunes has your contacts saved. But, of course this firmware is not available for signing/saving anymore.

Are you able to see your contacts in iCloud? Sadly, you may have to put them back in manually if you would like to keep your Jailbreak.

12. fanboy

fanboy Member
    Bronze

Yeah, contacts are still in iCloud.....perhaps i could import them to google as a backup... My old contacts are still in google from when I switched from Android, there are some changes of course.

Sent using iCafe app

13. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

That would be your best bet to update/re-add them to your iPhone contacts, without worry of losing your jailbreak.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You do not need to restore. Are your contacts still showing up when you log into iCloud from a computer or another device? If so, they are still in the cloud and you can get them back on your phone.

Delete your iCloud account from the phone. If it asks, which it probably won't since your contacts are blank right now, select delete contacts. Make sure there are NO other email accounts that are syncing contacts. If there are, temporarily delete these email accounts from your phone and select delete contacts when/if it asks. Your contact list needs to be blank at this point. Then reboot and add the iCloud account back in. Be sure to toggle contact syncing on. If the contacts still don't show up, reboot. Once they show up add the other email accounts back in and make sure contract syncing is toggled off for all of the other accounts except iCloud.

If they still don't show up on your phone but they do show up on your computer, reset all settings on your phone. This is safe to do on a jailbroken device.

15. fanboy

fanboy Member
    Bronze

Still not showing up. I'm at my computer now.... Going to do a reset...... crossing fingers....

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Just to clarify, they show up on your computer in iCloud but not on the phone, correct?

17. fanboy

fanboy Member
    Bronze

18. fanboy

fanboy Member
    Bronze

call me special ed, but im writing down my cydia stuff because im not sure how to make that come back after a reset... never had to reset before like this.4

19. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Doing a reset of your settings in the settings app will not cause you to lose your jailbreak.

Sent using iCafe app

20. fanboy

fanboy Member
    Bronze

wait, which reset? Erase all media or just erase all settings?