Contacts disappear!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Calico

Feb 11, 2011
Brecon beacons in wales
I know it must be me but, I have 400 contacts. But when I connected to iTunes and set sync i lost them all!
I am now worried about connecting again. Luckily I still had details on old phone but don't want to go through that again
Any help or advice would be great?

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
If you are syncing to "outlook" you HAVE TO HAVE OUTLOOK AS YOUR DEFAULT EMAIL then re-sync.
Are you sure? I flip between several defaults depending on what I am doing. Never lost any contacts. Or are you saying for initial set-up?

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Are you sure? I flip between several defaults depending on what I am doing. Never lost any contacts. Or are you saying for initial set-up?
Yes, I believe initial setup defaults to where it populates your phone with whatever the selection is to sync contacts from; and if that is currently empty, it will effectively erase what's on your iPhone! :D

fanboy

Bronze
Feb 5, 2012
Last night I left my phone plugged in to my computer to charge. The computer was locked (winblows Vista).

When I woke up the phone was in safe mode. I rebooted, everything looked ok, BUT my contacts are gone. All my recent calls, mail, etc are still in the phone.

My contacts are still in iCould. My mail/contacts settings are set to iClould.

Someone please help me out here, I have no idea what the issue is.

4S iO 5.1.1, Cydia

fanboy

Bronze
Feb 5, 2012
Update: I reomved my icloud contacts via settings and used my work mail account to see what would happen. My work contacts appeared in my phone.

So I removed my work contacts and entered my iCloud info. Nothing. I even trid rebooing the phone. Nothing., contacts are empty but e-mail, notes, calendar appear from iCloud.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Update: I reomved my icloud contacts via settings and used my work mail account to see what would happen. My work contacts appeared in my phone.

So I removed my work contacts and entered my iCloud info. Nothing. I even trid rebooing the phone. Nothing., contacts are empty but e-mail, notes, calendar appear from iCloud.
This is a post on an Apple forum question similar to your issue.

"Go to settings/icloud on your phone. Make sure you are logged with your Apple id.
Contacts should be on, click on it to turn it off and choose keep (even though you show no contacts)
When the process is done go ahead and turn on contacts again, choose merge. All your contacts should show up if you had a previous backup to icloud.
You don't have to restore your phone like the previous poster stated, the above worked perfect for me as I also had a blank list after a restore."

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3899761?start=0&tstart=0

If this does not work as people said it did, your contacts should also be saved via iTunes if it was set to backup your contacts when you backup/sync your iPhone. However, restoring via backup would obviously un-jailbreak your iPhone.

fanboy

Bronze
Feb 5, 2012
Thats good advice. Unfortunately it did not work for me.

How can i do a reset/restore and not loose my cydia apps & not have to update to iO6/7.

I jail broke, but i did not un-tether

4S iO5.1.1, Cydia

Sent using iCafe app

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Thats good advice. Unfortunately it did not work for me.

How can i do a reset/restore and not loose my cydia apps & not have to update to iO6/7.

I jail broke, but i did not un-tether

4S iO5.1.1, Cydia

Sent using iCafe app
I would not be the right person for this question. But I do know that if you have your firmware, iOS 5.1.1, saved on your computer, you can do a restore and revert back to iOS 5.1.1. You would only do this if one of your backups on iTunes has your contacts saved. But, of course this firmware is not available for signing/saving anymore.

Are you able to see your contacts in iCloud? Sadly, you may have to put them back in manually if you would like to keep your Jailbreak.

fanboy

Bronze
Feb 5, 2012
Yeah, contacts are still in iCloud.....perhaps i could import them to google as a backup... My old contacts are still in google from when I switched from Android, there are some changes of course.

Sent using iCafe app

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Yeah, contacts are still in iCloud.....perhaps i could import them to google as a backup... My old contacts are still in google from when I switched from Android, there are some changes of course.

Sent using iCafe app
That would be your best bet to update/re-add them to your iPhone contacts, without worry of losing your jailbreak.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You do not need to restore. Are your contacts still showing up when you log into iCloud from a computer or another device? If so, they are still in the cloud and you can get them back on your phone.

Delete your iCloud account from the phone. If it asks, which it probably won't since your contacts are blank right now, select delete contacts. Make sure there are NO other email accounts that are syncing contacts. If there are, temporarily delete these email accounts from your phone and select delete contacts when/if it asks. Your contact list needs to be blank at this point. Then reboot and add the iCloud account back in. Be sure to toggle contact syncing on. If the contacts still don't show up, reboot. Once they show up add the other email accounts back in and make sure contract syncing is toggled off for all of the other accounts except iCloud.

If they still don't show up on your phone but they do show up on your computer, reset all settings on your phone. This is safe to do on a jailbroken device.

fanboy

Bronze
Feb 5, 2012
If they still don't show up on your phone but they do show up on your computer, reset all settings on your phone. This is safe to do on a jailbroken device.
Still not showing up. I'm at my computer now.... Going to do a reset...... crossing fingers....

fanboy

Bronze
Feb 5, 2012
call me special ed, but im writing down my cydia stuff because im not sure how to make that come back after a reset... never had to reset before like this.4