Contacts issue on iCloud

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by TarekElsakka, Feb 20, 2015.

1. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

Hello there,
    So I am going to try and make this as simple as possible because I do not know exactly how to explain it, but I am having an issue with my iPhone and my Dad's iPhone. Recently I took my Dad's old iPhone 5 5 which has all his data on it; he was connected to iCloud and when he logged in iCloud on his new iPhone 6 it supposedly downloaded all the data, but apparently it didn't. One of the most annoying things about it is the Contacts, because there seem to be more contacts on the 5 than on the 6, and I am not sure how to go about transferring them to the iPhone 6. When I access http://www.icloud.com via PC, there are certain contacts on the iPhone 5 that I do not see there, so my question is: how do I upload ALL the contacts on the 5 directly to iCloud without creating duplicates or whatnot?

There are several email addresses synced with the iPhone 5 and 6 like hotmail, gmail, and his work's exchange server, all of which seem to be syncing contacts, but for some reason there are still some missing contacts that exist on the 5 but not the 6.

Is there a way to deal with this without going through too much hassle? The easiest way I can think of is to connect the iPhone 6 to my Mac and restore via iTunes, but that means all his new data (WhatsApp, etc.) will be gone and replaced by the old ones, correct?

Any help is appreciated, and I am sorry if this is too long and not as simple as I had hoped. lol

Thank you for your time!

EDIT: I just checked the numbers and there are about a thousand more contacts on the phone than on iCloud.

2. GolfnCPA

GolfnCPA New Member

Sounds like you have a number of groups in your contacts. Each sync service has its own group and set, and would bet some of them are duped among the groups.

You can try turning off contacts sync and when given the option to remove or keep on the phone, choose to keep. Then turn off iCloud contact sync. Wait for a moment, then turn it back on. It should give you the option to merge the contacts with iCloud. At that point it should get everything over to iCloud, and there is a way to set it up to prevent duplicate entries.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

3. GolfnCPA

GolfnCPA New Member

Clarify-start by turning off contact sync services for your other accounts first, do iCloud last.

4. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

Thank you for your reply. I am going to attempt that in a while. For the time being, I am backing up all my contacts to my PC using an app called PhoneView for Mac.

5. GolfnCPA

GolfnCPA New Member

Best of luck.

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

If it's not too many, you can always add those missing manually. Just tap the + and add a contact. Enter the info and a profile pic. Some of the contacts may be Gmail contacts. Go to settings >Mail, Contacts and Calendars.> Gmail>Toggle on contacts. If it's already on, toggle off, then back on. Then check his contacts.

Sent from my ancient iPhone 5 (no longer trustworthy)

7. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

I have similar issue . Will try toggling off and back on. Thanks !!! By the way, may i ask why do you feel iphone 5 is no longer trustworthy ?

8. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

Thanks for your suggestion, but unfortunately I have over 6000 contacts so that's going to be too much work!

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You know 6,000 people/businesses well enough to add to contacts? You must add anybody and everything! :D

10. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

Well I barely have 600 contacts myself (a lot of unnecessary people included) but those are my Dad's since he first got a cell phone, I guess. lol

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I have 172 contacts. But I'm an old fart. One thing I don't do, is add all my Facebook friends as a contact.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Did you get this fixed or do you still need help with it, @TarekElsakka?

13. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

I partially got it fixed using an app called iFile, if I remember correctly, on my Mac.

14. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I was having too many issues I could not fix without restoring as new. Did that, so all is running smooth now. I guess I should make it trustworthy again. :)