Contacts not showing when they call

kertavax

Oct 2, 2008
Hi there!

Sorry for the following essay ...

I just got myself the iPhone 3G 16 GB model and it's jailbroken and unlocked and all since I live in Iceland so that was quite necessary for it to work properly.

There's just one problem though: I've saved a few contacts into my address book and also assigned pictures to each and every one of them but when they give me a call their numbers just show up on the screen.

Ex. I save a bogus person Eric Michaels as a contact with the phone number 6961113 and assign to him a picture of a donkey. But when Eric calls, the phone only displays the default 'earth' picture and the number '696-1113'.

I've also tried saving the number with the Icelandic area code (+354) in front of the number and that way gives me Eric's information when I receive a text message from him - but then again, the same problem continues when he tries to call me (... and the same dull 'earth' picture is shown).

Lastly, I saved both variations of the phone number to his contact info but to no avail.

I have the newest update so I don't think that's the cause.

I don't really know where to look for the problem using iPhoneBrowser so any kind of help would be much appreciated. :)

- Egill from Iceland

claygreenberg

Bronze
Oct 3, 2008
Do you, by any chance, have the numbers in your contacts more than once? I once had a similar problem to yours and found that I had duplicates. As soon as I deleted the duplicates everything worked correctly

kertavax

Oct 2, 2008
Do you, by any chance, have the numbers in your contacts more than once? I once had a similar problem to yours and found that I had duplicates. As soon as I deleted the duplicates everything worked correctly
Well, like I said before, i first tried to have only one number to each of them in the 7 digit format '696-1113'. When that didn't work I tried putting the area code in front of the number '+354' so that it has this format now '+3546961113'.

That fixed the text message problem (I now see when my contacts text me) put the phone call issues remain.

Thanks again though for the input. Any other thoughts or ideas?

claygreenberg

Bronze
Oct 3, 2008
I don't have any other ideas, except that I went through exactly the same problem. I didn't REALIZE that some of my numbers were entered twice (as separate entries) in my contacts. Are you SURE yours aren't? If so, then I would try rebooting your iPhone. It might help the situation.

kertavax

Oct 2, 2008
I don't have any other ideas, except that I went through exactly the same problem. I didn't REALIZE that some of my numbers were entered twice (as separate entries) in my contacts. Are you SURE yours aren't? If so, then I would try rebooting your iPhone. It might help the situation.
Yeah I'm positive - all the numbers are stand-alones' in my address book so this is quite puzzling, really.

This is pretty frustrating because this is supposed to be a very basic function.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
Try going to settings>phone and turn on international assist on/off. Or delete one of your contacts and re-enter there information.

kertavax

Oct 2, 2008
Try going to settings>phone and turn on international assist on/off. Or delete one of your contacts and re-enter there information.
Well no I tried that but to no avail. But a have an update: Like before, when any one of my contacts give me a call their information doesn't appear on the screen - HOWEVER - when I have a missed call and check 'missed calls' THEN their info is there! :S spooky stuff?

HURRAY HURRAY I figured it out! There's a CallerID Fix available and you can install it from the Localization category of both the Installer 4 and Cydia through the iSpazio Repository - I used Cydia and now my contacts show up IF I save both variations of their numbers (with and without the area code in front of their numbers)!

Just thought I'd let you know if this happens to anyone!