continued dropped calls...

FuelieNova

Contributor
Silver
Aug 3, 2008
So I sit here on hold with Apple... four dropped calls this morning. This problem has gotten worse. They replaced my phone a couple of weeks ago but it didn't take care of it. This happens on 3G or EDGE... full signal strength area.

Is there a lemon law on this?
Tg

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
I assume you have upgraded to 2.1? This type of issue was addressed in that software upgrade.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
My guess, if he/she has gotten this far then they've already tried 2.1. Don't think there is a lemon law but I bet if you raise holy hell then they will make an accommodation. Especially if you've already tried a replacement.

I've been pretty happy since going to 2.1, no real issues thus far. knock knock

Good luck with that.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I'm running on 2.1 jailbroken and I still get dropped calls. I restored the phone back (non jailbroken) to make sure the jailbreak wasn't causing the problems, but dropped calls still there. I've just come to the conclusion the having an iPhone means getting dropped calls. It's a pain, but I just call the person back.

jbrown425

Sep 29, 2008
I had the exact same problem on a 3g. Apple replaced my phone and problem continued. I finally restored in iTunes as a new phone not to a backup and the problem was resolved.
Try that and let me know how it goes.
Goodluck!

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
In the end, some people have worse coverage than others. I have great coverage. But, not everyone is so lucky.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I'm running on 2.1 jailbroken and I still get dropped calls. I restored the phone back (non jailbroken) to make sure the jailbreak wasn't causing the problems, but dropped calls still there. I've just come to the conclusion the having an iPhone means getting dropped calls. It's a pain, but I just call the person back.
Ravman, you are absolutely correct. If you can't live with the dropped calls, the iPhone may not be for you.

FuelieNova

Contributor
Silver
Aug 3, 2008
Update...
Yes I have 2.1 installed.

I spent about an hour with Apple on the phone. They had me make a call on the iPhone while I was on the land line with them. Guess what... about 3 minutes into the call I got a dropped call. At least they could verify my complaint.

As stated above, they had me do a restore as a new phone, they did not want me to restore from my backup file. So far no dropped calls, however I told them I do not have confidence that this will be a permanent fix. They partially agreed.... woo hoo.

I agreed to see how it goes, they thought the next step might be to replace the sim module...

Like I have said in the past... I love the phone, I have a problem accepting the reliability. I live in a large metro area with great coverage. They laughed when I told them when I bought a cell phone I at least expected it to perform the most basic function of a cell phone... talk on the phone. I would probably be more accepting of other problems... but phone problems? They acknowledged many many calls with the same concerns.

Now I kid you not... the guy made a comment to me "just don't tell me you want cut-n-paste". I asked him why he made that comment... he said his last several callers had been complaining about it!

The saga continues
Tg

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I think the problem may be more with the AT&T 3G coverage. Try go down to EDGE and see if you get dropped calls.

AT&T is continuing to upgrade into 2009.

Also, if a lot of peeps in your area have not upgraded to 2.1, they may be sucking "too much juice" and causing these problems. I had read about this but I'm not sure if this is 100% true or not.

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
Although the service bars look good on 3g since 2.1 I still had some dropped calls. I shut 3g off, use edge and now have no problems. I will turn 3g on for surfing and apps if wifi is not available.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
When I had a BlackJack on ATT 3G network I had dropped calls a bunch. Not at first but right after the ATT Cingular merge it was bad. It was pretty ridiculous. The iPhone has not even approached the amount of frustation I had with the BlackJack on ATT 3G. So it probably does have more to do with coverage.

redstar299

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
try a restore...I just did and its a little better -on 2.1

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I did a restore back to 2.1 last night. My phone was acting weird, so I thought a restore might fix the problems. I restrained from jail breaking the phone, and I set it up as a new phone (not from a backup).

The very first call I made after the restore, dropped in under 10 seconds :(

I'm here in LA and had 5 bars of signal strength.

try a restore...I just did and its a little better -on 2.1

FuelieNova

Contributor
Silver
Aug 3, 2008
Update time... again...

I called ATT on dropped calls yesterday. After 45 min with the first lady, she put me up to her manager. I spent 30 min with him and all he could say is that I was past my 30 day period and that they have a lot of money invested in these iPhones and he would not allow me to swap back to my original blackberry with out resigning a new two year contract. I let him know that is not acceptable, after much discussion in which he mostly listened, he told me he would talk with his boss and call me by the end of the businesss day yesterday. I asked him to confirm that, he said absolutely he would call back... he has not!

I stopped in the ATT store this morning and they offered to replace the sim, the guy felt that is most likely the problem. After replacing the sim I was driving towards minneapolis and you guessed it... call failed!

The next exit up was the Apple store I normally go to, stopped in there and talked to the guiness. He told me he doubted if the phone was the problem. He requested to hook it up to diagnostics... guess what... 30% dropped calls!

The guy was beside himself, he made the comment that he is not sure he has seen 30% dropped calls before. Of course he offered to replace the phone at this point. I got sucked in and agreed.

So here I set, no confidence in Apple, ATT did not call back and another replacement iPhone.

Whats a guy to do?
Tg