Contracts for new phone

Shlov1

Bronze
Jan 12, 2009
I moved to AT&T and got my 3G in January. My question is if I want to upgrade to the new model when it comes out this summer, will I be able to do that and still get the discounted pricing. I know a lot of this is speculation, since, at least officially, there is no new iPhone yet. But I they usually offer a discounted rate for new customers. But if I want to upgrade and am willing to sign a new 2 year contract would I get that discount. I just don't want to have to be out like $400 for a new one. Any ideas on how this is going to work?

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Nope. You'll have to pay retail.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I was told differently. As long as the new iPhone is a completely different model, you will be able to get the subsidized price. The 3G was a different phone from the V1 and they didn't make V1 owners pay the full retail price.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I was told differently. As long as the new iPhone is a completely different model, you will be able to get the subsidized price. The 3G was a different phone from the V1 and they didn't make V1 owners pay the full retail price.
The v1 wasn't subsidized like the 3G was - big difference.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That only worked if you had a V1 and were upgrading to the 3G. It won't work if you have a 3G (V2) and are upgrading to a V3. That was because the V1's weren't subsidized. Meaning everyone paid full cost for them. The 3G's were subsidized if you signed a 2 year contract, which brought the cost down to $200/$300. The unsubsidized cost was $400/$500 for those not eligible for upgrade.

Sorry, you won't be eligible for upgrade, so you'll have to pay the full unsubsidized cost which with probably be $400/$500. AFAIK, You're eligible for upgrade at 12 months or 20 months, depending on your plan.