Control Sky+ from your iPhone

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
I really love the versatility of my iPhone and use Signal to control iTunes on my media server.

It got me thinking that controlling Sky+ from the iPhone would be useful too.

For the non-Europeans here, Sky+ is a satellite TV receiver/PVR, a bit like a Tivo, which didn't really catch on here.

So, I found a device that utilises the RF2 out connection to control Sky+ and it can be accessed from a web page via Apache server.

It works fine on the PC but the interface is too small for the iPhone.

What interest would there be for this?

I can design the interface and need some collaborative help from somone with HTML experience to rewrite the code (which just amounts to re siting the hot spots on the web page, to suit an iPhone layout of the Sky+ controls).

Who's interested then?

Last edited by a moderator:

Arisea

Oct 11, 2008
Me too

hey mate, i also would like to control sky through my (not quite the same as your iPhone) ipod touch 2nd gen. You are looking for someone to program an app or something for use on the iPhone that allows you to use sky. unfortunately i cant help you here. But, i know something that may help you. i currently run a program on my ipod touch which allows me to pretty much fully control my home PC on my ipod touch, so long im connected to WiFi. You can download the program off the iTunes app store, its called VNC Lite (this is the free version i run) and then for your computer download tight VNC (i wont go into detail, but i got it all working by watching videos on youtube, and it worked like a dream for me.)

i can connect to my computer anywhere i like and control it, so in a way if u run VNC to control the computer, then you could go to that website RF2 server apache thingy and control sky... right?

erm if that doesn't work, have you tried opening the RF2 apache whatsit in Safari on your iPhone?

hey i was also wondering if u could either post on this forum or send me a msg what this website thing is? Cause i had a quick look around but found nothing

cheers mate.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Here's the link.

I'm now using Intelliremote from the appstore to control Sky+ from my iPhone (and all my other A/V equipment) and it works great.

You'll need a USB IRT and it works great.