Control your fan Speed.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
So i found this app via the Apple forums. It basically allows you to set the minimum fan speed for your Intel Macbook.

It was recommended for people bootcamping because apparently Windows doesn't manage the fans properly. So by setting the minimum fan speed in OSX, and then restarting, your macbook will retain this setting when it boots to Windows, which is very handy for people that do CPU and/or Video intensive things in Windows (like gaming).

I haven't given it a SERIOUS stress test yet, but upon installation i boosted the default fan speed by 1500 rpm, and it lowered the temperature by ~10 C.

here's the link.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
So i found this app via the Apple forums. It basically allows you to set the minimum fan speed for your Intel Macbook.

It was recommended for people bootcamping because apparently Windows doesn't manage the fans properly. So by setting the minimum fan speed in OSX, and then restarting, your macbook will retain this setting when it boots to Windows, which is very handy for people that do CPU and/or Video intensive things in Windows (like gaming).

I haven't given it a SERIOUS stress test yet, but upon installation i boosted the default fan speed by 1500 rpm, and it lowered the temperature by ~10 C.

here's the link.
Nice find.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
So, if we increase our fan speed, what will that do to our battery life?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
it will shorten it. but the program has different settings for being on battery power, on ac power and while charging the battery.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
This is nice. I was installing some things, and had a heavy load on the cpu's, so I maxed it, just for fun. I FELT the computer drop 20 degrees (F). Too cool. No pun intended.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, next time i fire up XP for a game, i'll run this first... it'll be interesting to see how it goes.