Converting downloaded iTunes music so I can actually transfer it to another disc?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

todd1010

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Converting downloaded iTunes music so I can actually transfer it to another hard disk

I wanting to know how to take some iTunes music I just downloaded and put it on another hard drive.

I don't think I can just copy and paste it because of some music rights or something.

I basically just want to be able to listen to wherever/on whatever computer I want.

Can someone help me out?

I thought I read somewhere that I'd want/need to burn the files to a CD and then rip them to mp3 format. Is this correct?

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I wanting to know how to take some iTunes music I just downloaded and put it on another hard drive.

I don't think I can just copy and paste it because of some music rights or something.

I basically just want to be able to listen to wherever/on whatever computer I want.

Can someone help me out?

I thought I read somewhere that I'd want/need to burn the files to a CD and then rip them to mp3 format. Is this correct?
You can do that. I purchased some software that converts the i-tunes music to Mp3. I hated the extra step and wasting CD's. I think my converter is called WMA Converter. It works well. I select a folder a group of songs and it converts in to a output folder.

4mula1

Aug 4, 2007
I wanted to do the exact same thing. Here was my solution.
I bought a 160 gig 2.5in external drive. I plugged it in to my desktop computer and set the iTunes music folder location on that computer to the external drive. I imported all my cds to iTunes which located them to the external drive. I unplugged the external drive from my desktop and plugged it into my laptop. Open iTunes, set the iTunes music folder location on the laptop to the external drive. Then select file/add folder to library and select the iTunes folder on the external drive.
Now you have all your songs available on your laptop.
The 2.5inch drive is small enough to take any where and I got a good one for $100.
I did the same thing with my work desktop. I just keep the external drive in my laptop bag which pretty much goes everywhere I go. Of course I keep the songs I want at the moment on my iPhone.
Just remember if you downloaded the songs from iTunes you can only play them on your 5 authorized computers.