Cool 3GS/3.0 Feature of the day: Bluetooth Audio

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
Just hooked my new 3GS to my Pioneer P4100DVD for the first time. I never tried the bluetooth audio before, but it works great. Once you've synced bluetooth for the first time, you never have to again, just get in the car, set the source to bluetooth and start jamming in iTunes, no wires.

BTW, this Pioneer line of car stereos integrates great with 3G and 3GS iPhones (and iPods, etc). With on screen music control, bluetooth phone control, and even video play back on screen, and charging, of course.

carypot

Jun 20, 2009
My new 3GS bluetooth paired with my hands free car phone with no problem. Can I connect it to my stereo in my car too?

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
My new 3GS bluetooth paired with my hands free car phone with no problem. Can I connect it to my stereo in my car too?
If your car stereo supports it.

BTW, bluetooth connection is way better than FM transmission. There's 0 degradation of sound over bluetooth. Sounds just like it's plugged in directly.

carypot

Jun 20, 2009
Thanks, I guess I'll have to contact my car dealer

comncense

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Are you able to play audio apps via Bluetooth also? Like AOL Radio, Pandora and Sirius? If so, I'm going to check that out ASAP for my car.

DavidT

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Baltimore MD
Works with Ford sync as well. Once the phone is paired all you have to do is say phone then say Bluetooth audio and you are in.

comncense

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Works with Ford sync as well. Once the phone is paired all you have to do is say phone then say Bluetooth audio and you are in.
So in your car are you able to play audio using other apps other than the music stored on your phone? So if you opened Pandora Radio on your phone, could you hear the audio through your car speakers via bluetooth?

DavidT

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Baltimore MD
I do not know of other programs since I do not have them. I have used the music and podcasts from my iPhone to the Ford's radio via Bluetooth with no real problems. Of note this works through voice command to start.

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
I use the Apple composite wire with my car radio (pioneer N3) it works great and i can play youtube videos on my car screen and use screenspltr to have my iPhone appear on my car screen
also it charges my 3g because i hooked the usb plug into a hub hooked up to a cig liter source

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
Apparently all audio works. I tried it with the YouTube app and Pandora even has the same UI audio source element that iTunes does on the phone.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Strange thing happened to me. I have a 2009 Acura TSX with technology package. It supports Bluetooth Audio and I was dying to try it with 3.0. I tried it last Wednesday after I installed 3.0 on my iPhone. My car manual said all I had to do with pair my iPhone (which I always have paired with my car) and Bluetooth Audio should automatically connect. Well, it didn't and I couldn't get it to work.

Today, I read this thread and I thought I should try it again. I even found a thread on an Acura forum on how to connect Bluetooth stereo with my iPhone with OS 3.0: http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719913

So, I go to my car and lo and behold, it AUTOMATICALLY recognized my iPhone and I could immediately play songs from the iPhone! I didn't do anything different from last Wednesday.

Since I got it going I decided to try all my apps that had some kind of sound associated with the app.

Here's a list of apps that worked with Bluetooth A2DP stereo in my car:

AP Mobile (for its videos)
Stitcher
Space Ace
The Sims 3
Tiger Woods
Assassin's Creed
Brothers In Arms
Myst (although I needed to change the audio setting)
The Need For Speed
Siberian Attack
Supercross XL
Days of Thunder
Trivial Pursuit
Monopoly
Saturday Night Fever
DanceDance Revolution
Touch Tennis '09
YouTube
Action Bowling
iPump series (when watching its videos)
BeatMaker (this is SUPER SWEET!)
Pandora
WunderRadio
SHOUTcast
PocketGuitar
Bloom
Lightsaber (freakin' awesome)
Star Trek Phaser
Koi Pond (this app is in stereo, cool effect!)
Wings 2
Glyder
Field Goal

Apps That Didn't Work:

TapTap Revenge 2 - I only tried a Death Cab For Cutie song and it stuttered annoyingly.
Ocarina - You'd think THIS of all apps would work! Maybe I'm missing a setting.
Armory Road Rage

So far, A2DP is an overwhelming success in my Acura TSX.
The iPod doesn't sound as good as a direct connection but it is super convenient.

Dec 4, 2007
How do you get bluetooth to play through a standard Jeep stereo system? All the bluetooth car kits I saw said bluetooth but mentioned fm transmission? Confused on how to get this to work without getting a new stereo system

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
BTW, this Pioneer line of car stereos integrates great with 3G and 3GS iPhones (and iPods, etc). With on screen music control, bluetooth phone control, and even video play back on screen, and charging, of course.
Sonicwind, you mentioned video playback, you still need a cable connected for video playback, correct? USB?

How do you get bluetooth to play through a standard Jeep stereo system? All the bluetooth car kits I saw said bluetooth but mentioned fm transmission? Confused on how to get this to work without getting a new stereo system
I was wondering the same thing.

I don't mind using my iPhone as the screen for my vehicle. I wouldn't mind updating my head unit to a regular CD player with A2DP and using the iPhone for the interface. Does Pioneer offer any regular head units that work like this? Everything I see says iPod ready but nothing about phone support.

comncense

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
jarofclay73, so how is the quality of the audio when you use Bluetooth? I've read a few places that when you play audio via A2DP that it skips and goes in and out a lot. I didn't wanna invest in buying a new CD deck with Bluetooth if thats the type of performance I'm gonna get from it.

kwan

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
I had A2DP working well on my 3G. Interestingly, on my 3Gs, its very glitchy. COming in and out all the time. Anyone have their 3Gs working flawlessly?

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
Sonicwind, you mentioned video playback, you still need a cable connected for video playback, correct? USB?
I finally got around to testing this. Originally with a 3G and iPhone OS 2 and the iPod cable that comes from pioneer, I could never get the video to work, now with my 3GS and iPhone OS 3.0, video works, but no sound is played with video. Video works from iTunes or when playing videos taken from the camera. Pictures do not show up, though.

I also bought a 3rd party composite video cable (with audio plugs, too) This works sporadically, but again, only for video. Sometimes when I plug it in, the iPhone says it's not a supported cable. It's very glitchy. I'm going to get the actual Apple, overpriced, cable and try it.[/quote]

I don't mind using my iPhone as the screen for my vehicle. I wouldn't mind updating my head unit to a regular CD player with A2DP and using the iPhone for the interface. Does Pioneer offer any regular head units that work like this? Everything I see says iPod ready but nothing about phone support.
The Pioneer has a menu choice that allows you to give over control to the iPhone/iPod but only when using the iPhone as a source. In other words you can't control other aspects of the Pioneer, just the playback of the iPhone. On a related note, you have to chose this setting, in iPod mode first, before switching to video input mode on the Pioneer, or you won't have access to the iPhone interface, it will just say 'Accessory connected' on the iPhone screen. But I just leave in this mode, since of course the iPhone interface is much better than the Pioneer one for choosing media.

I had A2DP working well on my 3G. Interestingly, on my 3Gs, its very glitchy. COming in and out all the time. Anyone have their 3Gs working flawlessly?
The A2DP on my 3GS connected to my Pioneer car stereo has been working flawlessly. I have not used it with other devices. I used it the other day while waiting in the car while playing the new iPhone Doom game. The car speakers really brought out the audio in the came. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the video out supports sending the game video to the car screen. That would have been cool, just to use the iPhone as a controller.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
Ive got a Kenwood DNX8120 in my truck and never thought about pairing the two. I'll have to check it out

Thanks

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I finally got around to testing this. Originally with a 3G and iPhone OS 2 and the iPod cable that comes from pioneer, I could never get the video to work, now with my 3GS and iPhone OS 3.0, video works, but no sound is played with video. Video works from iTunes or when playing videos taken from the camera. Pictures do not show up, though.

I also bought a 3rd party composite video cable (with audio plugs, too) This works sporadically, but again, only for video. Sometimes when I plug it in, the iPhone says it's not a supported cable. It's very glitchy. I'm going to get the actual Apple, overpriced, cable and try it.

The Pioneer has a menu choice that allows you to give over control to the iPhone/iPod but only when using the iPhone as a source. In other words you can't control other aspects of the Pioneer, just the playback of the iPhone. On a related note, you have to chose this setting, in iPod mode first, before switching to video input mode on the Pioneer, or you won't have access to the iPhone interface, it will just say 'Accessory connected' on the iPhone screen. But I just leave in this mode, since of course the iPhone interface is much better than the Pioneer one for choosing media.

The A2DP on my 3GS connected to my Pioneer car stereo has been working flawlessly. I have not used it with other devices. I used it the other day while waiting in the car while playing the new iPhone Doom game. The car speakers really brought out the audio in the came. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the video out supports sending the game video to the car screen. That would have been cool, just to use the iPhone as a controller.
Very good info, thanks for checking it out for us. Let us know if the Apple cables do the trick.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
Very good info, thanks for checking it out for us. Let us know if the Apple cables do the trick.
Yeah, so the $50 composite cable works perfectly. Now I can watch iTunes or recorded video. Probably some video playback apps would work, too, if there are any. Doesn't send video game video, which would be cool.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Yeah, so the $50 composite cable works perfectly. Now I can watch iTunes or recorded video. Probably some video playback apps would work, too, if there are any. Doesn't send video game video, which would be cool.

That is awesome sonic. You should take a couple of pics of it in action. Its making me regret buying the Sony head unit I bought, but I went cheap and got a CD player instead of a nice video screen.
Making me think Im going to be upgrading soon!