Cool Mac tricks

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
so i've been doin research, not sure if there is a thread about this, but i have found some really cool key strokes and stuff for my mac. i'm not sure if they are only on macbook pro's but i would assume they would be on all Apples. here are a couple cool ones i have found.

control-option-command-8 : all at the same time like switches your screen color, pretty cool imo.
control-command-D : put your mouse over any word on your screen and click this and it will give you a definition of the word, works for all real words.
control-2 finger on trackpad towards the screen : zooms in on the whole screen, and vice versa to reverse.

feel free to post up any cool ones you know or find out as well, its always interesting to learn more stuff about these things.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I love stumbling upon special keystrokes.

Command + H hides all windows open on my friend's MacBook but not on my Air

That's the only really cool one I know of so far, but I'll be on the lookout for more.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
I love stumbling upon special keystrokes.

Command + H hides all windows open on my friend's MacBook but not on my Air

That's the only really cool one I know of so far, but I'll be on the lookout for more.
this doesn't work on my macbook pro.....

keep em coming guys, these tricks are awesome

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
this doesn't work on my macbook pro.....

keep em coming guys, these tricks are awesome
huh, that always has worked on any mac I've owned. You have be in the program for it to work....

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
those are sweet! Can't wait to use a few

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Looks like some of yours came from this cool little article of Ten Things mac will do we might have forgotten.

http://lifehacker.com/390226/top-10-things-you-forgot-your-mac-can-do

22 year Macaholic here and I love tips and tricks and shortcuts and dangit forget them as fast as learn them. Here are a few sites of interest and hopefully helpful.

There is also a section of the Apple site itself which has weekly or monthly User Tips that are wonderful -- can't find the dang linky right now
This is a video tip section which is decent.

http://www.apple.com/businesss/theater/#tutorial=managingbrowsertabs

OK, found it, this is the Tip of TheWeek part of Apple site which is awesome.

http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/

Dashboard widget for Daily Mac Tips

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/blogs_forums/mactipsdailymactipstricksandhacks.html

Keyboard Shortcuts summary -- tons here

http://developer.apple.com/document...GKeyboardShortcuts/chapter_950_section_1.html

I'll make up a list of little shortcuts I use daily which seem second nature to me but which have some new Mac friends surprised to learn them.

May 6, 2007
United States
Great Mac tricks. I encourage you to look around other sites, such as YouTube, as there are so many cool tricks out there. I don't usually take interest in this kind of thing, but the word definition one is really cool. Thanks again.

Witness

Zealot
Gold
Jun 18, 2007
Miami,Florida
hold shift Apple 4 to select an area on your screen and take a snapshot of it.

Witness

Zealot
Gold
Jun 18, 2007
Miami,Florida
If you click the spacebar on any selected file most of the time it shows you a preview of it.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
command spacebar will open up spotlight. You can immediately start to type and application's name and then hit enter to launch the program, or say system preferences.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
command spacebar will open up spotlight. You can immediately start to type and application's name and then hit enter to launch the program, or say system preferences.
I think this is hands down one of the best features on a mac. To be able to find ANY file on my computer, whether it be searching for an Application, and email (searching any keywords in that email, name, address subject ANYTHING), same for files. I use this almost every time I use my computer! the only time I open a window is to copy files or just miscellaneous things.
I LOVE SPOTLIGHT!

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
This is not a shortcut key but...
By pressing Command + Spacebar to get spotlight THEN
you can type in calculations, words to get definitions, thesaurus, Apple (do not know what it does but it is there) and lastly wikipedia.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
No one has any tips or tricks?

I got one for Gmail and Apple Mail

In the article Quickly Attach File in your browser Drag and Drop you can simply drag a file from your desktop or in any folder right in the "choose file" button. The same is true for Mail, just drag the file you want right into the Mail icon (for me, in the dock) then a new message dialogue box will appear with the attachment already there!

This is handy for me cause i frequently "forget" to attach files, then have to reply and say "Sorry, I am an idiot and forgot the most important part of this email, here you go."

Let's get this thread going, I love new tricks and tips!
If we can get some advanced "tip-ers" to maybe get some scripting in here, I have only heard about it but don't know much on it.

cough cough lincoln cough cough
I am a lot of respect for you, you are very young, but yet full of knowledge!