Cool..so Flash is coming to the iPhone!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DigitalEndorphins

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
http://mailbox.allthingsd.com/20070705/questions-about-Apples-iphone/

"If the iPhone’s Web browser is so good, why can’t it play video on Web sites I visit?
At launch, the iPhone version of the Safari browser is missing some plug-ins needed for playing common types of Web videos. The most important of these is the plug-in for Adobe’s Flash technology. Apple says it plans to add that plug-in through an early software update, which I am guessing will occur within the next couple of months. However, a separate program included on the iPhone can play a limited selection of videos from YouTube, and the phone can play videos you purchase from Apple’s iTunes store, and certain videos you create yourself."

According to the above article, it appears we will be able to enjoy Flash Sites/Vids soon!

Sorry if this has been posted already, but it excited me and perhaps this is news to some of you all.

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Be careful what you ask for...
  • longer load times for webpages
  • animated advertisements
  • increased battery drain (just to due to the ads alone, worse if you play a video)
  • popups
  • added instability and safari crashes
Does the "content" of having flash offset this? In most cases no.

So far I'm not missing flash... in fact, if they ever do allow it I hope they provide an option to turn it off.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
So far I'm not missing flash... in fact, if they ever do allow it I hope they provide an option to turn it off.
I so agree. Flash is going to be a big draw on battery life and I hope we get the option to turn it off.

Not to mention, most of what flash gets used for is annoying ads

godspropy

Jun 13, 2007
Be careful what you ask for...
  • longer load times for webpages
  • animated advertisements
  • increased battery drain (just to due to the ads alone, worse if you play a video)
  • popups
  • added instability and safari crashes
Does the "content" of having flash offset this? In most cases no.

Settings > Safari > Plug-ins [On/Off]

iphonenotify

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Hey, flash would be great! And remember just like all of the other plugins you could turn it off if it were getting problematic. You know, like in settings, safari.

Jul 3, 2007
they need to make it like the 'No Flash' add on that's in Firefox. Example: the page loads with 2 advertisements and 1 flash movie with a little flash icon, click on the icon and safari loads just that flash file instead of disabling all flash Applets in the options menu.

done and done! :)