Copy movie to iPhone

nydmx

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
I am at work and I want to copy a mp4 movie to my iPhone, but when i try to sync its telling me that all my files will be erased. Please help!

This is not the same pc i use to sync on a normal basis

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
You can't sync with two computers using iTunes. If you try to sync on a computer other than the once you normally use, you will have the issue you are having.

dsuppa

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
New Jersey
www.dfsdesigns.com
Unfortunately you can't do it. Seems like Apple took this idea from the Zune, that was a PITA so sync and so is this. Other than that I love the phone.

I could have sworn I was able to plug my iPod into anyones computer and put stoff on there w/o blowing everything else out

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I am at work and I want to copy a mp4 movie to my iPhone, but when i try to sync its telling me that all my files will be erased. Please help!

This is not the same pc i use to sync on a normal basis
Think about what the word "synchronize" means.
It means that the iPhone will be set up like the folders you select on the computer. Meaning that if you have folders A, B and C on the computer, then folders A, B and C will be on the iPhone, in the same structure.

So, if the files aren't there, then it's gonna try to mirror what's on the computer, on to the iPhone. Meaning, if your "tunes" folder is empty on the 2nd computer you sync to, it will empty the folder on the iPhone, as well.

dsuppa

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
New Jersey
www.dfsdesigns.com
Think about what the word "synchronize" means.
It means that the iPhone will be set up like the folders you select on the computer. Meaning that if you have folders A, B and C on the computer, then folders A, B and C will be on the iPhone, in the same structure.

So, if the files aren't there, then it's gonna try to mirror what's on the computer, on to the iPhone. Meaning, if your "tunes" folder is empty on the 2nd computer you sync to, it will empty the folder on the iPhone, as well.
True syncronization would copy the missing files onto the new machine and the missing files on the iPod from the machine. So that both the computer and the iPod match each other.

nydmx

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
I understand that, (regarding sync), but with my ipod i was able to drag a song from my work pc and place on the left pane were my ipod was listed and it would copy the file, with out syncing the whole thing.
I guess that is what i am looking for, just to copy one file and not sync,

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I think in the sensen of iPod/iPhone synchronization, it just looks at what's on the computer and makes the iPod/iPhone match it. So if the computer has less files then the iPod/iPhone, then the syncing will delete those files.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
True syncronization would copy the missing files onto the new machine and the missing files on the iPod from the machine. So that both the computer and the iPod match each other.
Right, it does what Wildonrio says, and pretty much mirrors what the PC has. So, it's not 100% REAL Synchronization, it's more of "Mirroring" the PC's selected drives.

Martlet

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
I understand that, (regarding sync), but with my ipod i was able to drag a song from my work pc and place on the left pane were my ipod was listed and it would copy the file, with out syncing the whole thing.
I guess that is what i am looking for, just to copy one file and not sync,
Yes, this is where the iPhone differs from the iPod. Manually managing your library is an option on the iPod, but not on the iPhone.

On the iPhone, all your music really does have to be on one computer.

Similiarly, the iPod can be used in disk mode to store files, the iPhone doesn't have a disk mode.