Copy & Paste apps: Clippy vs. hClipboard

Which new Copy & Paste app is better? (Please only vote if you have tried both)

• Clippy

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • hClipboard

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Wow after a year and a half of waiting, two copy and paste apps arrive in the same week and no one has any comments?

I'll start. Clippy is extremely simple and highlights what text is being copied, but it's kind of annoying to have it pop up the Copy and Paste menu every time you go to the number keyboard.

hChipboard has it's own special keyboard and is full of cool features like templates, home/end keys, an entire clipboard to save many different copied texts, yet it has a small learning curve and doesn't highlight the text it is copying.

I think overall hClipboard takes the cake. It's slightly counter intuitive, but really that isn't a disadvantage at all once you figure out what the buttons do.

EDIT: Clippy has just gotten a lot better. It no longer pops up on the ?123 keyboard every time, but only when you HOLD the ?123 button for a second first. You can also now copy a lot more things than hClipboard can do. Pretty much any text in the entire iPhone structure can be copied by simply pressing and holding the text, even non-editable text! If I could change my vote to Clippy, I would. Check out my updated review here.

Last edited by a moderator:

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
It is amazing that 2 did show up in the same week. I voted for hClipboard. It works well for me. I am still waiting to get a viewmymessage to see if it works, although most of my family and friends leave me out of the mms sending now because they are use to me reminding them to email me the pictures instead.
But I am happy that we finally do have a fairly decent copy & paste. It's about freakin' time:).

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I can't believe there isn't more excitement surrounding this. I mean, this is it. Yeah, it's not Apple sanctioned but jeez, the fact that we can actually do it now is such a relief.

And I really wonder why Chris didn't even post a news article about it on the homepage. He posted about the Cydia bluetooth transfer app and that's not nearly as exciting IMO...

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I got Clippy a few days ago and thought "Yay, finally!" but after you brought up hClipboard, I got that and think I like it better. BTW, there was something about Clippy on EIC. I learned about it from EIC tweeting about it on Twitter.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I prefer hClipboard - it does a very good job with handling everything - the extra features make it nice as well. I'm having a problem with the copying text bookmarklet - whenever I try to use it, I can't get the text in Safari to turn into a textbox. Any ideas?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I prefer hClipboard - it does a very good job with handling everything - the extra features make it nice as well. I'm having a problem with the copying text bookmarklet - whenever I try to use it, I can't get the text in Safari to turn into a textbox. Any ideas?
Are you touching the text with your finger?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Have are the instructions to add the copy text in Safari bookmarklet, along with find in page and open in new tab:

Find in Page: http://www.ipuhelin.com/en/safariplus/

Open in New Tab: http://gadgets.inventivelabs.com.au/tabulate

By the way, I'm on my phone and I used hclipboard to paste that. It really works!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I know where to find them - my problem is that the copy text doesn't work. I run the bookmarklet, then tap the text I want to copy - no entry field appears.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
theyre both pretty good, and clippy got an update yesterday to add a clipboard. so only time will tell how much better these two will get.

but for the time being, hclipboard seems to work the best, its easier to select and copy. and they work great with the safari bookmarklets

*edit* in the last clippy update, you are now able to copy from texts, so its a lot easier to forward texts

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I know where to find them - my problem is that the copy text doesn't work. I run the bookmarklet, then tap the text I want to copy - no entry field appears.
Try this. Copy the following text on your home computer, and paste it in an email forwarded to yourself:

javascript:void%28s%3Dprompt%28%27Find%20text%3A%27%2C%27%27%29%29%3Bs%3D%27%28%27+s+%27%29%27%3Bx%3Dnew%20RegExp%28s%2C%27gi%27%29%3Brn%3DMath.floor%28Math.random%28%29*100%29%3Brid%3D%27z%27%20+%20rn%3Bb%20%3D%20document.body.innerHTML%3Bb%3Db.replace%28x%2C%27%3Cspan%20name%3D%27%20+%20rid%20+%20%27%20id%3D%27%20+%20rid%20+%20%27%20style%3D%5C%27color%3A%23000%3Bbackground-color%3Ayellow%3B%20font-weight%3Abold%3B%5C%27%3E%241%3C/span%3E%27%29%3Bvoid%28document.body.innerHTML%3Db%29%3Balert%28%27Found%20%27%20+%20document.getElementsByName%28rid%29.length%20+%20%27%20matches.%27%29%3Bwindow.scrollTo%280%2Cdocument.getElementsByName%28rid%29%5B0%5D.offsetTop%29%3B

Now check your email on your iPhone, forward that email to get editable text, then copy and paste all the code. Now go into your bookmarks in Safari, go to your Copy webpage text bookmark that isn't working, select the URL, delete everything in there, and put in the code above. If that doesn't work, I don't know what will.

theyre both pretty good, and clippy got an update yesterday to add a clipboard. so only time will tell how much better these two will get.

but for the time being, hclipboard seems to work the best, its easier to select and copy. and they work great with the safari bookmarklets

*edit* in the last clippy update, you are now able to copy from texts, so its a lot easier to forward texts
I have since deleted Clippy. Tell me, how does this new clipboard work? Does it still pop up the copy/paste bar above the ?123 keyboard every time? Or is there a separate layout like how hClipboard does it?

toothdoc

Jan 27, 2009
clippy upgrade?

I have had Clippy for a week or so but today when i went to use it it said, beta has expired, please upgrade. it is version .94 and i don't see another version. I tried removing and re-installing and still the same. Anyone else getting this?

Jul 23, 2007
I have had Clippy for a week or so but today when i went to use it it said, beta has expired, please upgrade. it is version .94 and i don't see another version. I tried removing and re-installing and still the same. Anyone else getting this?
I'm getting this too, just today. Looking for a fix.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I just uninstalled Clippy completely and reinstalled it from Cydia, and it's working fine.

Also, for anyone who is having a hard time copying SMS messages with the newest version of Clippy, you need to hold your fingertip on the SMS message for a second (in the previous version, you had to double-tap the SMS message).

Jul 23, 2007
I just uninstalled Clippy completely and reinstalled it from Cydia, and it's working fine.

Also, for anyone who is having a hard time copying SMS messages with the newest version of Clippy, you need to hold your fingertip on the SMS message for a second (in the previous version, you had to double-tap the SMS message).
There is yet another upgrade and seems to be working. Seems like there is some changes though... the added menu doesn't show up on the # page. But if you just hold down the #/Letter button up pops a menu overlay!