Copy-Paste coming to the App Store? Maybe!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
There is a c/p app ready to go to be sold in the App Store. There is a video in the link posted here. It looks a lot like notes and is easy to use.
There is one hurdle and I quote:
"One thing that might keep MagicPad from making it onto the device is if it does not meet Apple's stringent human interface guidelines, which protect things like the keyboard configuration to keep the end user from getting confused."
Let's keep our fingers crossed on this one.
Here is the link.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Yeah, thing is though, copy & paste is only inside the one application. It's not phone-wide.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Yeah, thing is though, copy & paste is only inside the one application. It's not phone-wide.
Are you serious? I guess I either watched the video too quickly or just wanted to believe we were really getting c/p. I'll have to go back and watch again. That is a big disappointment. Thought we were finally getting something here.:mad: Oh well.......

Smartmouf

Jul 30, 2008
You see, for copy and paste to be useful Apple needs to integrate it within the OS. Until they make it available, apps attempting copy and paste will be useless.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Didn't gearlive see code for copy paste inside the beta 2.1 software? It looks like Apple will make the contribution themselves.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
When we got & paste and people continue to whine about the lack of MMS, they're gonna get it from me. There have been whiners about copy & paste since June '07.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
When we got & paste and people continue to whine about the lack of MMS, they're gonna get it from me. There have been whiners about copy & paste since June '07.
I want c/p but wouldn't consider myself a whiner John. Its a basic feature on most smart phones. I don't whine because I think it will come.....faith. I'd put on a bet with yah only for the fact that my current record on texas hold'm is soo terrible, I don't feel my lucks in;)

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Copy and paste always seemed trivial for me. It can help, but not to the extent where I care.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Copy and paste always seemed trivial for me. It can help, but not to the extent where I care.
Same here, this is my first "smart phone" though so I've never really experienced it on a phone before... and I think that I could be happy without if we could just send contact details by SMS! :mad:

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Same here, this is my first "smart phone" though so I've never really experienced it on a phone before... and I think that I could be happy without if we could just send contact details by SMS! :mad:
I think that would be my biggest want. Maybe that and video recording. But to tell you the truth, I don't need these things. It would just be icing on the cake for me.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
You can send contact detials via email now at least

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
True. I won't be using email very much. I tend to focus solely on texting, so if contact details over SMS would be of the greatest use.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
it's horses for courses. Some want c/p, others SMS forwarding. Some will say they don't any of these missing features. I want them all, some more, some less! I still love the phone and the many other features.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
MagicPad is now for sale in the App Store for $3.99. Are you guys going to reward the company that basically will force Apple to put copy and paste into 2.0.1?

I know you can only cut and paste from note to note (and not from anything else outside the app) but this is probably the cliffs note of how to do copy and paste on the iPhone.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
MagicPad is now for sale in the App Store for $3.99. Are you guys going to reward the company that basically will force Apple to put copy and paste into 2.0.1?

I know you can only cut and paste from note to note (and not from anything else outside the app) but this is probably the cliffs note of how to do copy and paste on the iPhone.
I don't think anyone here at EIC is willing to pay 4 dollars for copy paste.
1. It can be addressed in firmware updates
2. It is not universal, only works within the app
-This in itself is the killer. If a copy paste was integrated universally, then I'm sure they would be making a profit.

One thing comes to mind: Apple is very anti-background process. If thats so, how will they address copy/paste? I don't think its possible/efficient to be running a push c/p system.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I don't think anyone here at EIC is willing to pay 4 dollars for copy paste.
1. It can be addressed in firmware updates
2. It is not universal, only works within the app
-This in itself is the killer. If a copy paste was integrated universally, then I'm sure they would be making a profit.

One thing comes to mind: Apple is very anti-background process. If thats so, how will they address copy/paste? I don't think its possible/efficient to be running a push c/p system.
Well, copy/paste will have to be integrated into 2.0, much like the spell corrector. I won't buy MagicPad either. I'll just wait for the next update... which is supposed to be soon. Like September...

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
i paid for the app...i figured if i cant have phone-wide c/p might as well have it on the phone somewhere lol...its not very useful but the MagicPad app is cool and they are the first to do it so why not...as for the comment about ANY EiC members paying for apps just go look at the how much have you spent in the appstore thread...there are lots of members willing to pay for apps especially useful ones...but this was one giant leap in the copy and paste spectrum for the iPhone and i support those i can for doing something that steps outside the box so to speak