Corporate Discounts and the 3G iPhone

Jun 22, 2008
Forgive me if this has already been addressed, I am a newbie. Currently I am an AT&T customer without an iPhone and I am receiving a 18% discount on my monthly service plan. This 18% discount applies only to my voice plan, I do not have a data plan. I have heard from coworkers that my discount will work for the iPhone service plans, but when I asked an AT&T employee about the corporate discount he said no it would not. I know the corporate discount did not apply for iPhone v1, but is there any truth to what my coworkers are telling me that it will apply for 3G iPhone ?

Basically what I am trying to determine is what will my monthly bill be?
$39.99 + $30 for data and $4.99 for 200 text = $74.98 plus fees and taxes or will it be
$39.99 - (18% off) or $32.79
$30 - 18% off or $24.60
$32.79 + $24.60 + $4.99 = $62.38 plus fees and taxes.

Thanks for all your help.

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
There is no way to tell now, the iPhone data plan is just going to be a regular pda internet plan now so I don't know why it wouldn't have the discount. I am hoping it does, although I did notice that my discount lowered from 19% to 15%.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Forgive me if this has already been addressed, I am a newbie. Currently I am an AT&T customer without an iPhone and I am receiving a 18% discount on my monthly service plan. This 18% discount applies only to my voice plan, I do not have a data plan. I have heard from coworkers that my discount will work for the iPhone service plans, but when I asked an AT&T employee about the corporate discount he said no it would not. I know the corporate discount did not apply for iPhone v1, but is there any truth to what my coworkers are telling me that it will apply for 3G iPhone ?

$39.99 + $30 for data and $4.99 for 200 text = $74.98 plus fees and taxes or will it be
$30 - 18% off or $24.60

You're going to have to take this up with AT&T customer service. I'm sure they can tell you what to expect with your corporate discount structure.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota

$30 - 18% off or $24.60

I was wondering the same question. Boy Genius Report had a report with a leaked letter from ATT that claims that all discounts will now work. I called the businesss office at ATT who told me this was true. I am looking forward to my 24% off.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I was wondering the same question. Boy Genius Report had a report with a leaked letter from ATT that claims that all discounts will now work. I called the businesss office at ATT who told me this was true. I am looking forward to my 24% off.
24% would be significant. Do you also have to pay the $45 enterprise plan though?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
that's what i'm wondering too. If the data plan is going to be $30 or $45 with any corprate discount?
Sounds like a sneaky way to act like they allow discounts now but really charge even more.

By the way, I called AT&T about whether corporate discounts will work now and all they said to me was they don't know but it is possible. Not too exciting, but since I called I thought I'd add to our pool of knowledge on the subject :).

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
Sounds like a sneaky way to act like they allow discounts now but really charge even more.

By the way, I called AT&T about whether corporate discounts will work now and all they said to me was they don't know but it is possible. Not too exciting, but since I called I thought I'd add to our pool of knowledge on the subject :).
I guess I can't say how AT&T does things, but I have been getting a corporate discount on my Verizon account, and I don't have anything other than 450 minutes a month and unlimited texts. I don't have a data plan, or a Blackberry, or anything like that, yet I still get my company's discount.

My company also gets a discount on Apple products and AT&T hardware and accounts. I have known for a while that neither my Apple discount nor my AT&T hardware discount would apply to the iPhone (v1 or v2). However, I feel quite confident that my iPhone voice and data plan will be eligible for the 20% discount my company provides. I'm really not worried about this.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I guess I can't say how AT&T does things, but I have been getting a corporate discount on my Verizon account, and I don't have anything other than 450 minutes a month and unlimited texts. I don't have a data plan, or a Blackberry, or anything like that, yet I still get my company's discount.

My company also gets a discount on Apple products and AT&T hardware and accounts. I have known for a while that neither my Apple discount nor my AT&T hardware discount would apply to the iPhone (v1 or v2). However, I feel quite confident that my iPhone voice and data plan will be eligible for the 20% discount my company provides. I'm really not worried about this.
That's really cute that you're not worried, but trust me, you should be. AT&T specifically blocked any and all corporate discounts on the first iPhone and they absolutely could do it again for the iPhone 3G.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
24% would be significant. Do you also have to pay the $45 enterprise plan though?
I am on an IRU with FAN# discount. Meaning I pay for my own bill. I can purchase either data plan, but have to get the enterprise if I want to use Activesync to sync with my companies exchange server. As of right now my company will not support the iPhone due to configuration and security issues. Hopefully that will change in the next year. So I will be getting the $30 data + $39.99 voice plan. It comes to something like $55 a month after the discount, which isn't too bad

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota

$30 - 18% off or $24.60

Here are some links with answers that I have found on the internet. These links coupled with what the guy from ATT businesss department told me, make me believe this is true. This makes a lot of sense with the change in the iPhone's subsidized pricing. The iPhone doesn't have a special plan anymore so why would it be excluded. Hope this answers your questions

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/06/09/iphone-3g-the-details-you-never-wanted-to-know/

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=5582059

http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/print?board.id=Apple&message.id=23807&page=2&format=page

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
If your account has a FAN number applied to it, you're getting a discount off the monthly voice service, nothing more. I'm an AT&T employee and there is no discount for anything relating to the iPhone due to the agreements between AT&T and Apple.

So, to answer your question, I would be absolutely, completely and utterly shocked if AT&T were to ever give discounts on anything other than voice. It doesn't happen now with texting, PDA plans, AT&T Navigator (formerly TeleNav), early nights and weekends, etc. All FEATURES (which is what your data plan is) do not apply and probably never will.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
If your account has a FAN number applied to it, you're getting a discount off the monthly voice service, nothing more. I'm an AT&T employee and there is no discount for anything relating to the iPhone due to the agreements between AT&T and Apple.

So, to answer your question, I would be absolutely, completely and utterly shocked if AT&T were to ever give discounts on anything other than voice. It doesn't happen now with texting, PDA plans, AT&T Navigator (formerly TeleNav), early nights and weekends, etc. All FEATURES (which is what your data plan is) do not apply and probably never will.
Not to start an argument here, but I believe the policy you are stating has to do with the original iPhone. The agreement with Apple and AT&T has changed dramatically with the release of iPhone 3G. I can go to AT&T website under my FAN# and it shows all the discounts. I shows a 24% discount on all voice and data services (ie. visual voicemail, email, and internet). It does not discount any other add-ons like text, navigation, ect... I was concerned about the data not being covered and called the section of AT&T that covers businesss accounts. The guy was very helpful and actually sounded knowledgeable of the questions I had. I gave him my FAN# and he told me that I was covered for 24% off for both Voice and Data. I asked him if he was sure about the data and he said yes. He said this discount would not work on the old iPhone plans, but would work with iPhone 3G plans. This discount is for voice and data plans only. No discount on the phone or extras.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota

$30 - 18% off or $24.60

Try this site to see what your are eligible for. You won't see the original iPhone on there, but the discounts you see for the other phones should apply to the new iPhone 3G

https://www.wireless.att.com/businesss/authenticate/

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
"This is the amount you will save on your rate plan's Monthly Service Charge. AT&T offers a variety of service discount structures. The amount of your service discount, and the charges to which it applies, are all subject to the arrangement between your company and AT&T. Under some service discount structures, this discount may also be applied to other qualified charges as well. You should contact your management or the appropriate department within your company responsible for wireless program administration with questions on the specific discount available to you. Service discount is available to you through your employer's qualified businesss agreement with AT&T. You must be a qualified employee or otherwise eligible to participate in your company's program in order to receive this benefit."

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
I only get 15% discount from the IRS (Department of Treasury). What companies are you guys using to get 25%+? I hope this discount works on the iPhone plan.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
I only get 15% discount from the IRS (Department of Treasury). What companies are you guys using to get 25%+? I hope this discount works on the iPhone plan.
I work for the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
That's really cute that you're not worried, but trust me, you should be. AT&T specifically blocked any and all corporate discounts on the first iPhone and they absolutely could do it again for the iPhone 3G.

The only reason that corp. discounts were/are blocked on the v.1 iPhone, is due to the structuring of the payouts to Apple, nothing more. now that the iPhone will become another 'regular' phone in terms of how att handles the plans, payouts, etc. they will allow corp discounts and stuff like that.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
The only reason that corp. discounts were/are blocked on the v.1 iPhone, is due to the structuring of the payouts to Apple, nothing more. now that the iPhone will become another 'regular' phone in terms of how att handles the plans, payouts, etc. they will allow corp discounts and stuff like that.
I think you're exactly right.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm defintely going to check if I can get a corporate discount. I remember we had discounts with AT&T before it changed to Cingular (which is before it got changed back to AT&T).