Correct me if I'm wrong...

kimirike

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Is the only thing new with iPhone 3g, 3g, the edges, the color, and gps? As for the firmware will both versions of the iPhone have the exact same capabilities like the apps store, etc?

If this is the case then I think I'm going to keep my iPhone.

$10 extra a month for features that I don't need adds up to $240 over the 2 year contract so the price for owning an iPhone 3g comes to $440, not just $200.

But i do like the color maybe I'll just send it to Color Ware and have it changed to all black for $150.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
don't forget the metal side-buttons... and a rounded back.

But yeah other than that and what you've mentioned are the only differences :)
-iphone v1 will be able to keep up with iPhone 3G software wise, but hardware wise it will never get the 3G or GPS unless implemented externally or internally(If your that tech savvy to do it yourself :)

-And you are right about the 3G plan and everything :)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
also, the back casing on the 3G is plastic.

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
don't forget the metal side-buttons... and a rounded back.

But yeah other than that and what you've mentioned are the only differences :)
-iphone v1 will be able to keep up with iPhone 3G software wise, but hardware wise it will never get the 3G or GPS unless implemented externally or internally(If your that tech savvy to do it yourself :)

-And you are right about the 3G plan and everything :)
I could not find an answer to this but speaking of hardware, does 3G run the same processor as V1 or did APPLE beef it up to handle running a 3G chip?

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Oh yes, My least favorite feature of the whole iPhone 3G:mad::mad:
the plastic back isn't just for cutting costs though. and you will learn to appreciate the plastic back. the intent is to help the phone get better reception. Easier through plastic than aluminum.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
the plastic back isn't just for cutting costs though. and you will learn to appreciate the plastic back. the intent is to help the phone get better reception. Easier through plastic than aluminum.
That's true, but I never had a problem with the iPhone's reception. I've already read that Apple has put the antennas in the bezel too, so maybe the plastic back doesn't help as much as thought.

Joe

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I could not find an answer to this but speaking of hardware, does 3G run the same processor as V1 or did APPLE beef it up to handle running a 3G chip?
I believe it was mentioned it uses the same processor.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Is the only thing new with iPhone 3g, 3g, the edges, the color, and gps? As for the firmware will both versions of the iPhone have the exact same capabilities like the apps store, etc?

If this is the case then I think I'm going to keep my iPhone.

$10 extra a month for features that I don't need adds up to $240 over the 2 year contract so the price for owning an iPhone 3g comes to $440, not just $200.

But i do like the color maybe I'll just send it to Color Ware and have it changed to all black for $150.
It now has a flush headphone jack and improved audio.