Corrupted Battery Compartment?

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
Hello guys. This is urgent, as I need to get this thing going before winter. I have a weather station by La Crosse Technology model WS-1510-IT. There is massive corrosion in the battery compartment. I'm not very happy, as this thing is a ton of money. Late spring, it was minor. Touched vinegar on it. Boom! Gone! Replaced the batteries. Now, going outside to maintain my thermo sensors I open up the battery and I see this. Oh....crap.... This is very bad, worse then the first time. It's mainly in between the batteries. What can I do? Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
It's hard to determine what caused this based on pictures. I'd take it to any nearby electrician and ask for help. Sorry.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
If it is outside it is because of moisture. Try putting a little glue around the battery cover. Will keep it dry. Will have to use a knife to get back into it to change the batteries but should solve the problem.

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
If it is outside it is because of moisture. Try putting a little glue around the battery cover. Will keep it dry. Will have to use a knife to get back into it to change the batteries but should solve the problem.
Its indoor, as it's the thing that tells me the readings.

So a knife will take it out and not get it to come back? Thanks.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Its indoor, as it's the thing that tells me the readings.

So a knife will take it out and not get it to come back? Thanks.
No I meant to cut the glue away.
If it is indoors. Clean it really good. Use a little vinegar like u did before. Dry it. Blow it out with compressed air. Clean it agin. Use a blow dryer to dry it and put new batteries in it.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
If you want to clean the contactors, the best thing to use is alcohol wipes or something very similar. Compressed air is also handy. It's not massive corrosion either, the battery has just popped.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Two submariners giving electrical advice. Lol. I am a mechanic by trade although I know a lot about electrical.

Oct 3, 2009
alcohol won't neutralize the acid. Once you get that taken care of and all cleaned up, there are a few ways to stop it in the future. One is to coat things in there with dielectric grease. Another is to get a set of the felt rings for car batteries. Slice a chunk off one and slide it in the battery compartment.

This is how I keep corrosion out of my electrical test equipment.

These are the rings I an talking about.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
I prefer these rings. Lol
ImageUploadedByiCafe1320900760.636958.jpg

I didn't think about electricians grease. Mac probably doesn't have that though.

JFN

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Nor Cal
I'm thinking the corrosion started from a leaking battery, carefuly clean the a rea with baking soda an a water mixture, use a Q tip when clean, then go to the local small airport in your area and ask a mechanic to give it a shot of Corrosion X or ACF 50 which will stop any further growth. Both chemicals are safe for plastic and electrical components. If it,s too bad you may need to return to Mfg for repair. Ymmv

Oct 3, 2009
Oh, and ILI....vinegar is an acid. You shouldn't clean with it. The point to cleaning that stuff out is to neutralize the acid.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Two submariners giving electrical advice. Lol. I am a mechanic by trade although I know a lot about electrical.

I'm am an electrician. Recently qualified as an electrical engineer.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Oh, and ILI....vinegar is an acid. You shouldn't clean with it. The point to cleaning that stuff out is to neutralize the acid.
Alcohol wipes. They clean the contactors :)

Oct 3, 2009
Wait....you said vinegar not alcohol originally. Isopropyl alcohol is a neutral.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Wait....you said vinegar not alcohol originally. Isopropyl alcohol is a neutral.
I didn't say Vinegar. I wouldn't suggest something like that, for a start it stinks and secondly why would I waste something that tastes gorgeous on chips?

Oct 3, 2009
I didn't say Vinegar. I wouldn't suggest something like that, for a start it stinks and secondly why would I waste something that taste gorgeous on chips?
Whoopes....confused you with the OP