Cost of ownership: 3GS vs Pre vs G1

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Saw this article on TUAW and thought it worthy of reposting here.

Last edited by a moderator:

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Nice overview with the comparisons. They should have noted that the iPhone was up to 32GB. Despite the cost I still feel the iPhone 3GS comes out the winner.

Nemss316

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
That is a nice comparison. Though, I think right now the G1 isn't really even in discussion anymore. Right now, despite the cost difference, I would still give the nod to the iPhone, mainly for the app community and support.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Nems, you get my vote for best avatar around here in a while!

Nemss316

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Yeah, not to derail this topic, but I've been on a huge Trek kick recently, thanks to the new movie. Thing is, I never was a Star Trek fan before the movie, but I've been on a huge Next Generation kick lately!

Ok, back to the thread!

iStealth

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
Yeah, not to derail this topic, but I've been on a huge Trek kick recently, thanks to the new movie. Thing is, I never was a Star Trek fan before the movie, but I've been on a huge Next Generation kick lately!

Ok, back to the thread!
Good Post - and yes your avatar Rocks!

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I'm just wondering how AT&T can continue to justify charging 20.00 for texting when you are already paying 30.00 for unlimited data. All texting is is data. I'm getting sick and tired of AT&T's poor service (coverage) but premium prices. I may just be leaving AT&T I hate to feel like I'm being screwed...Mark

i

Nemss316

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Mark, I would still hold out. Judging by the news regarding Apple and AT&T's contract negotiations, I'm thinking we'll see the announcement sometime later this year that Apple will be offering the iPhone on other carriers. That will force AT&T to step up to the plate and offer competitive prices.

I do agree that when you look at the price differences above, it does make it hard to justify putting up with AT&T's (lack of) features. But, to me, I know I get more use from my iPhone than I ever would from any other smartphone. But, I'm also biased. :)

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Mark, I would still hold out. Judging by the news regarding Apple and AT&T's contract negotiations, I'm thinking we'll see the announcement sometime later this year that Apple will be offering the iPhone on other carriers. That will force AT&T to step up to the plate and offer competitive prices.

I do agree that when you look at the price differences above, it does make it hard to justify putting up with AT&T's (lack of) features. But, to me, I know I get more use from my iPhone than I ever would from any other smartphone. But, I'm also biased. :)
My father always told me never want something so bad that you let someone make a fool out of you to get it. I still live by that today. It's more about that than the money. Mark

Nemss316

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
That's good advice you were given. I think people were OK dealing with AT&T up to this 3.0 announcement. But now it seems AT&T is still dragging out features, not to mention, features that could see added cost (MMS, Tethering). I honestly feel that may be the final straw for a lot of people, Apple possibly included.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
That's good advice you were given. I think people were OK dealing with AT&T up to this 3.0 announcement. But now it seems AT&T is still dragging out features, not to mention, features that could see added cost (MMS, Tethering). I honestly feel that may be the final straw for a lot of people, Apple possibly included.
Anyone else find it mildly amusing that for the last 2 years all the *****ing that has been done about the lack of mms AT&T has sat back and blamed Apple for not building the functionality into their phone, now that Apple has...AT&T is not ready.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well, to be fair, Apple dragging its heels was part of the problem to begin with. Because iPhones were "special" and didn't support MMS, their accounts got special MMS opt-out settings that need to be manually removed now, which is what's causing the delay. At least, that's what I've read. So we can blame both of them, I suppose.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
so you can only get the Pre with a $99 plan?

In that case, my 3GS will be much cheaper than what they've calculated for any of those.

Nemss316

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Dave, I was never aware that Apple was dragging its feet at the beginning, I'm glad you posted that. That does change a lot regarding ATT, and the complaints on the features.

You learn something new every day!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I just wanted to point out that all those price comparisons were done on the Unlimited scale. The only thing that AT&T doesn't have a different price point on is the Unlimited data. It's always been unlimited and always been 30 for the 3G.
Everything else though, is adjustable to your needs.
While the Pre plan of everything for $99 unlimited, I bet money that there is a limit to "unlimited".

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008

In that case, my 3GS will be much cheaper than what they've calculated for any of those.
I thought the same thing. My cost per month will be $59.50 when I get the 3GS. Much cheaper than $99.

iStealth

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007

Good point, my bill after taxes is about $97 bucks each month. I only need the bare minimum minutes and usually bank about 200 mins. of the 450 I have every month as rollover.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
As Hawk pointed out, the entire comparison is based on maximum/unlimited feature addons.