Could iPhone 3G have a replaceable battery?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Because how many other companys do you know of that make you bring screw drivers with you if you want to change the battery? And how many phones do you know of that have the SIM card in the same compartment as the battery? Almost all of them. If the battery was replaceable don't you think the SIM card would be there too? It seems likely. And then why would be need that tool?

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
Because how many other companys do you know of that make you bring screw drivers with you if you want to change the battery? And how many phones do you know of that have the SIM card in the same compartment as the battery? Almost all of them. If the battery was replaceable don't you think the SIM card would be there too? It seems likely. And then why would be need that tool?
this is also a good point, why would the make getting the sim card out difficult and then use another different way to get the battery out? i still doubt the battery will be removable but this is a good argument lol

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I really don't understand why people long for a replaceable battery so much. Of all the features people whine about, I care the least about this one.

- John

jimwarden

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I really don't understand why people long for a replaceable battery so much. Of all the features people whine about, I care the least about this one.

- John[/QUOTE

Here's a possibility. These screws allow us to take it to the Apple Store to have a larger memory card to be installed, and or a new battery. Jim

TagsxA

Jun 26, 2008

- John
Right there with ya. The only time I've ever replaced a cell phone battery was when I'd get a phone and I could get an extended battery for it. Otherwise I couldn't have cared less.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
Right there with ya. The only time I've ever replaced a cell phone battery was when I'd get a phone and I could get an extended battery for it. Otherwise I couldn't have cared less.
You guys must not travel a lot. I travel quite a bit. Here's a common scenario with me...

From the time I leave my house for the airport, I'm already sending/receiving email to my coworkers and clients. While standing in line at airport security, I'm surfing the web to pass the time. When I'm at the gate waiting for the flight, I'm doing the same (email, surfing), but now I may be listening to music. I'm now on the plane sending/receiving last minute email or making a few phone calls before the flight attendant wants all devices turned off.

In-flight, I'm either watching a movie or listening to music. My flight lands and I'm standing in the aisle of the plane waiting for what seems forever to deplane, so I get caught up in my online forums (like this everythingiCafe).

If I rent a car, I surf to radio-locator.com and find the cool radio stations so that I can program the car's radio preset buttons, and I also surf to a mapping site to get directions. If I don't rent, I'm in a cab, getting caught up on email that I received while in-flight. Either way, I'm probably making a few phone calls to the client or colleagues.

By the time I get to the hotel or to the client site, my battery is way low, and possibly about to die. It could be mid-afternoon by now (depending on which direction I flew--to the east or west coast). I don't have enough battery to make it through the early evening (to more phone calls or to surf at dinner, etc).

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
You guys must not travel a lot. I travel quite a bit. Here's a common scenario with me...

From the time I leave my house for the airport, I'm already sending/receiving email to my coworkers and clients. While standing in line at airport security, I'm surfing the web to pass the time. When I'm at the gate waiting for the flight, I'm doing the same (email, surfing), but now I may be listening to music. I'm now on the plane sending/receiving last minute email or making a few phone calls before the flight attendant wants all devices turned off.

In-flight, I'm either watching a movie or listening to music. My flight lands and I'm standing in the aisle of the plane waiting for what seems forever to deplane, so I get caught up in my online forums (like this everythingiCafe).

If I rent a car, I surf to radio-locator.com and find the cool radio stations so that I can program the car's radio preset buttons, and I also surf to a mapping site to get directions. If I don't rent, I'm in a cab, getting caught up on email that I received while in-flight. Either way, I'm probably making a few phone calls to the client or colleagues.

By the time I get to the hotel or to the client site, my battery is way low, and possibly about to die. It could be mid-afternoon by now (depending on which direction I flew--to the east or west coast). I don't have enough battery to make it through the early evening (to more phone calls or to surf at dinner, etc).
For your situation, I recommend a charger rather than a battery. When I drive I always plug my iPhone in to keep it juiced. You could do the same on the plane and when in the rental.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado

why do you go to a mapping website, why not use google maps on your iPhone

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Maybe Steve Jobs is hoping Sprint will make a commerical about the Instinct's replacable battery. Then, voila!, iPhone 3G has a replacable battery. :p

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Guys... a user-replaceable battery is an industry-standard sort of thing. It is a feature that millions of businesss travelers absolutely need. Charging systems simply are not an option for most of these folks.

There's lots of good arguments for the iPhone, but trying to justify a non-user-replaceable battery is a dead-end argument in my opinion. I doubt the 3G iPhone will do it, but Apple better get hip to that businesss necessity QUICK.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Guys... a user-replaceable battery is an industry-standard sort of thing. It is a feature that millions of businesss travelers absolutely need. Charging systems simply are not an option for most of these folks.

There's lots of good arguments for the iPhone, but trying to justify a non-user-replaceable battery is a dead-end argument in my opinion. I doubt the 3G iPhone will do it, but Apple better get hip to that businesss necessity QUICK.
For me (I can only speak for myself), I use my iPhone 80% for businesss and I travel enough to feel the battery impact. But I haven't found myself wanting another battery, just a place to plug in. :)

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
I travel a lot myself and concentrate on keeping the phone charged rather than carrying a second battery. I have two portable chargers (one a Li-Ion rechargable and one takes AAs). Between those, a car charger, and a USB charge/sync cable (plug into the laptop, which can plug into the wall at the airport if need be), I've got all the charging capacity I need.

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007

Man, that tidbit about Radio-Locator was worth the price of admission alone!

It even finds "empty" fm channels so you can use an fm transmitter to play your iPhone/mp3 on your car radio. Cool!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I've had several phones that had user-replaceable batteries. And i travel quite a bit; I've been to just about every state on the east coast. And not once have I seen the use or need to the replaceable battery. A car charger always does the trick for me, and my iPhone's excellent battery life shrinks the need even more.

- John

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank

- John
+1.

Thats why I shot down the idea of it not having it :p
IMO, I think its not a good idea to have one. The back cover could be like the BlackBerry Pearls, which is wobbly, which could take away from the feel of solidity were used to with iPhone.