could not restore : error -18

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

coreyb

Jul 2, 2007
Please help! I'm trying to update to the latest firmware and iTunes is saying I must restore but when I try to restore it says "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (-18)." Has anyone seen this error code? I tried searching online everywhere and couldn't find anything. I also tried forcing my iPhone into recovery mode by pressing home + power but I never see the yellow triangle. I'm stuck and cannot update my dang phone and cannot sync it either because when I connect the iPhone it says "iTunes cannot read the contents of your iPhone. Go to the Summary tab in iPhone preferences and click Restore to restore this iPhone to factory settings." So I can't sync and I can't update. Argh... I'm desperate... please help! Thanks so much...

Attachments

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
Please help! I'm trying to update to the latest firmware and iTunes is saying I must restore but when I try to restore it says "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (-18)." Has anyone seen this error code? I tried searching online everywhere and couldn't find anything. I also tried forcing my iPhone into recovery mode by pressing home + power but I never see the yellow triangle. I'm stuck and cannot update my dang phone and cannot sync it either because when I connect the iPhone it says "iTunes cannot read the contents of your iPhone. Go to the Summary tab in iPhone preferences and click Restore to restore this iPhone to factory settings." So I can't sync and I can't update. Argh... I'm desperate... please help! Thanks so much...
I have read comments elsewhere in this forum, from those with the same or similar problems. It seems that some have resolved this issue, either by restarting their computers and then iTunes, using a different computer with iTunes installed on it, or using a different USB port on their computers. Give that a try and see if you have any luck.

coreyb

Jul 2, 2007
I have read comments elsewhere in this forum, from those with the same or similar problems. It seems that some have resolved this issue, either by restarting their computers and then iTunes, using a different computer with iTunes installed on it, or using a different USB port on their computers. Give that a try and see if you have any luck.
tried using my buddy's macbook pro instead of my macbook pro and it didn't work... same errors... i haven't tried restarting but i'll give that a shot for sure... thanks for the assistance and fast reply... super appreciated... i hope i can resolve this...

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Did you mod your phone?

coreyb

Jul 2, 2007
fixed it... was able to force into recovery mode by placing it in the dock (had to take it out of the plastic first :))... then a restore was possible...