Could you help me with this Apple Store receipt?

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Hello there,

As some of you may know, my old 2008 MacBook Pro had a graphics card issue that was Apple's fault and this is the article indicating that: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

Anyway, I bought my laptop from BestBuy in the US and the Apple Store lady on the phone told me that since it's a factory problem, they'll most likely fix it for me for free, especially after I did the Apple Hardware Test and it identified the graphics card as the problem, meaning I'd have to get the whole logic board replaced for that.

I sent it with a friend of my Dad's who took it to an Apple Store in a place called Fair Oaks in California and they fixed it. I would like to know, though, if my Dad's friend actually had to pay for it or if they fixed it for free.

This is the receipt:

As you can see in the paper, it says the Price is 524 USD but the Amount Due is $0, does that mean it cost 425 but Apple will take care of that since it's their fault or what does it mean? I know some of you may think "Well, why don't you ask him if he paid?" but there's a personal reason why I cannot which I will not discuss here, if you don't mind. I just want to know if this has been fixed for free or paid for, as I cannot really determine from the paper.

p.s. the part of the paper that doesn't appear under the receipt just has the parts that have been changed (which cost $457) and the Hardware Repair Labor ($39).

Thank you very much.

Aug 31, 2010
It looks to me like Apple took care of it and nothing had to be paid. But that's just my guess...

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
The fact that it says that the Amount Due is $0.00 makes me think so, too. I don't know what they mean by Amount Due, though, does that mean if a product costs $100, for instance, and you have a 50% discount, it'll say the Amount Due is $50 instead? Since that's what you owe them from the original amount?

Aug 31, 2010
Yes, that is what makes sense to me anyways!

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Thanks for your reply, Ginny. By the way, I am not sure but wasn't that Rugaby's profile picture at a certain time? For some reason every time I see it I automatically assume you're Ray rather than Ginny. lol

It's either that or I am obsessed with the guy and am seeing him every where, which cannot be a good sign. :D

Aug 31, 2010
Yeah, we thought we were being clever (he's got my old avatar) but I think we ended up tricking ourselves more than anyone! I keep seeing my picture and thinking....why would I write that?! Haha :p

katelynneemma

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 15, 2011
N.Y.
Then I guess we're all obsessed with him cause were all having the same problem, just don't tell him that his heads big enough as it is :p

I believe that means that it was taken care of by Apple. I remember my replacement iPhone 4 receipt looking the same as that and they replaced it free at the genius bar.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Thank you for your replies, guys, now I feel better knowing they kept their word and fixed it for free even though I didn't take it there myself.

Yeah, we thought we were being clever (he's got my old avatar) but I think we ended up tricking ourselves more than anyone! I keep seeing my picture and thinking....why would I write that?! Haha :p
Yeah! You're tricking me as well. lol

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I'm guessing the valuation allows them to book the expense/loss for tax purposes. Also the repair department shows revenue metrics.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Like everyone else is saying, Looks like Apple did the repair with no cost incurred to you.