Couple questions about iPhone i haven't seen answers for

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
will the iPhone be capable of running java type applications that typically open in webbrowswers? For example... online poker.

will the iPhone be capable of displaying live tv in conjunction with a sling box?

thanks!

vtecryder00

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
will the iPhone be capable of running java type applications that typically open in webbrowswers? For example... online poker.

will the iPhone be capable of displaying live tv in conjunction with a sling box?

thanks!
You might have to call Steve Jobs. Here the #

1-800- ***-I-Don't-Know. LOL

emerrill

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007

thanks!
No, no Java, Jobs has made that pretty clear in interviews.

It would only work with the sling box, in theory, if you can view it as streaming quicktime. Although Im not sure if the QT player will or won't support streaming.

Superfreaknduper

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
What is the purpose for not running java applications? Is it a coding/programming thing? Is it because of the security issue, because they ARE allowing the web applications.... I just cant think of a reason for not including it. Any one know?

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
What is the purpose for not running java applications? Is it a coding/programming thing? Is it because of the security issue, because they ARE allowing the web applications.... I just cant think of a reason for not including it. Any one know?
Maybe not in these exact words, but Steve said its like a 2000 pound gorilla that he doesn't want inside the phone.

emerrill

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Java is huge and bloated, and requires a lot of work to implement. There are also security concerns. Yes, they are allowing web apps, but written with JavaScript, which is much more contained than Java is. Basically it's better for them to concentrate on Flash.

Jobs:
"Java's not worth building in [to the phone]. Nobody uses Java anymore. It's this big heavyweight ball and chain."

emerrill

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Not right now. I think he was talking about the flash memory.
No. I was talking about Adobe Flash. No, it doesn't work (at least at the moment), but I'm saying it would be better for them to concentrate on that vs Java. There are some indications that Flash will come in the future, but Java sounds like a total no-go.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
No. I was talking about Adobe Flash. No, it doesn't work (at least at the moment), but I'm saying it would be better for them to concentrate on that vs Java. There are some indications that Flash will come in the future, but Java sounds like a total no-go.
I agree. Definitely a no-go on java apps.

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
I suppose no poker app on my phone is hardly abig deal, i play enough as it is, being able ot play even more is probably bad for my health.. the sling box is an absolute must thogh. I am constantly away from the tv during yankee games and my next phone's #1 priority will be to make 100% sure it is capable of allowing me to watch the games from my phone

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
Slingbox only works with phones with windows mobile 5 or 6 right now. So the answer on that is no.

But you really need 3G for the optimum experience anyway.