Coverage areas

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I know that with the way that people talk about AT&T, Verizon and Sprint, everyone has their own opinion about who's got better service and such. Swagger in particular ( I love ya man, but you are someone that really loves Sprint, so I used you as an example) thinks Sprint is #1- especially with his pre.

I went to the 3 main carrier sites and took a look at their coverage areas for the US. This should be current coverage only, and I looked at each one for voice and one for Data, since both are what current trend phones use.

Take a look for yourself and see if you can figure out who has the best overall coverage.

http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?langauge=EN

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...NEWREQUEST&lid=//global//plans//coverage+maps

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

I can tell you that I see verizon has the best calling coverage out there, but is actually lacking in "extended services" coverage. Select that option and refresh the map to see it.
Sprint lacks in both areas, so unless they aren't hitting you for roaming charges, your service could be severely limited if you need it in an area outside of a major metropolitan city.
AT&T is the only one that has a coverage area just slightly smaller than Verizon's calling area, but AT&T's calling and data coverage are exactly the same.

It's something to think about for those of you who might want to go and try out the competition because you might not be happy with AT&T.

Here is something else to factor in as well. Coverage should be the main concern, but billing, customer service, and overall customer satisfaction should be factored in as well.
There are a lot of people here that have had AT&T service for longer than 5 years, and in this day and age, that is some serious loyalty, but the same can be said about some members that just wanted an iPhone and came here from another company that they were with for a long time and were happy with their service too.
And for every 10 success stories, there is always 1 horror story. With Sprint, I know more horror stories about service here in Atlanta than success stories. And with Verizon, I here more complaints about billing and customer service than anything else.

Just things to consider. And the next time you watch a Sprint, Verizon, or AT&T ad, notice how they word their statement about coverage. You'll be surprised what you missed before, now that you've seen their coverage maps.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
There are a lot of people here that have had AT&T service for longer than 5 years, and in this day and age, that is some serious loyalty
Agree...A company should never get so big as to forget customer loyalty.
Apple almost made that mistake but redeemed themselves with the 100 dollar rebate.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Great points, Hawk!

One unfortunate thing to remember is that these coverage maps are unreliable. The map may show 3G, but in reality you may be challenged to find EDGE or 1XRTT.

Regarding Verizon and Sprint, both carriers make use of a Preferred Roaming List (PRL) that is used to tell the device the order of preference in finding towers. Because it costs the carriers to roam on other networks, the PRL will reflect the carrier's preference. As an example, you could be in an area with excellent Sprint Coverage. On a Verizon device, the PRL may tell the device to look only for the weak Verizon signal.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Agree...A company should never get so big as to forget customer loyalty.
Apple almost made that mistake but redeemed themselves with the 100 dollar rebate.
I think loyalty to a fortune 500 company is a fallacy. We may have good experiences and prefer the comfort of a specific company. But, in the end, you are just Bantha poo in their eyes. Pick the company that best serves your needs.

That is why these exclusivity agreements are nothing short of legal monopolies. If multiple carriers can carry the same device and provide differences in terms of quality of network coverage and cost, wouldn't than affect your "loyalty" to a specific company?

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
I think loyalty to a fortune 500 company is a fallacy. We may have good experiences and prefer the comfort of a specific company. But, in the end, you are just Bantha poo in their eyes. Pick the company that best serves your needs.

That is why these exclusivity agreements are nothing short of legal monopolies. If multiple carriers can carry the same device and provide differences in terms of quality of network coverage and cost, wouldn't than affect your "loyalty" to a specific company?
Excellent point..i have to say all things being equal i would definitely jump ship to a cheaper carrier if given the choice...who wouldn't, but AT&T is holding all the cards, which makes them our boss..sort of, so how about some incentives to stay with our present employer (AT&T)...all the companies ive worked for reward long standing loyalty very well.
Just an analogy.

Dec 17, 2008
PA
Who has rollover minutes?
Who has the iPhone?
Who has 3G coverage all over the East Coast?

That's why I stay I like AT&T.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Who has rollover minutes?
Who has the iPhone?
Who has 3G coverage all over the East Coast?

That's why I stay I like AT&T.
Who has 3G coverage only in the streets of Atlanta, but no 3G coverage inside a hotel in downtown Atlanta?

Rollover minutes for me are a joke. I don't talk that much. How about data rollover?:p

argeleri

Bronze
Jun 12, 2009
San Francisco
I've seen a lot of these coverage maps that these carriers put out. What I'm curious about is the "dropped call rate". You might be able to make the call but then it drops - seems to happen a lot here in san francisco with my AT&T friends. Not sure if thats a coverage issue or network issue?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Who has 3G coverage only in the streets of Atlanta, but no 3G coverage inside a hotel in downtown Atlanta?

Rollover minutes for me are a joke. I don't talk that much. How about data rollover?:p
I'm with you about inside building coverage, but it wouldn't be limited to just AT&T, it should be all carriers. My company just bought an old IBM building justnorth of the perimeter in Atlanta, and inside the building, I'm lucky to get 2 bars edge at my desk. Most of the first floor is dead. The second floor is only slightly better, but still mostly edge.
Step outside the building and have full 3g signal, and I'm talking less than 10 paces from the door.

Something about the concrete and steel buildings that kills the signal.

Roll over data would only be worth it if they gave you like 2 gb a month usage and you rolled over what you don't use. But there are some people that use that much inside of a day or two.

Dec 17, 2008
PA

I find I always have over a 1000 min a month for 3 lines on a 450min plan because of rollover.

Friends on verizon have a 750 min plan on 2 lines and are always worried about going over.

The data plan is unlimited.Hope it stays that way.

Phxblue

Bronze
Apr 13, 2008
The Valley, AZ
I am gonna laugh my tail off when Verizon gets the iPhone and then has their network get pounded into submission. They will understand AT&T's plight when it happens.