Cracked back glass iPhone 5

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Badfishy

Contributor
Bronze
May 17, 2011
Houston, Texas
I dropped my iPhone 5 a few weeks ago and it landed just right to crack the bottom piece of glass on the back. It just shattered and stayed there. I wasn't using a case cause' I'm cool like that! I figured I could easily hide it with a skin or case and it wouldn't even be noticeable. I then started scouring the web for a fix and couldn't find any. I wound up going to eBay and found the glass pieces for under $10 for the top and bottom set from China.

I carefuly removed the broken glass with a precision screwdriver. It is glued to the casing pretty good. After removing all the glass and glue remnants, I cut and stuck permanent, double-sided tape to the back of the new piece of glass. I then lined it up to the casing and pressed firmly. It's been attached for about 2 weeks now with no problems. It looks and feels like new again! This was cheaper than paying my warranty deductible and I didn't use a replacement claim on something simple. I hope this helps some folks out there.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362433202.746678.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362433215.212548.jpg

Badfishy

Contributor
Bronze
May 17, 2011
Houston, Texas
Just figured I would share this research in case anybody else has the same issue. It's just more cost effective to fix it than pay the warranty deductible and lose a warranty trade in. I couldn't find anything else on the web and took a chance when peeling the broken glass off.

Badfishy

Contributor
Bronze
May 17, 2011
Houston, Texas
Nope. They look identical to OEM. All of the prior glue must be removed to get it flush to the aluminum. I didn't want to glue it in case it was subpar quality, so I just used a permanent 3m double sided tape.

Badfishy

Contributor
Bronze
May 17, 2011
Houston, Texas
Update:

Still using the same replacement glass with no problems. In fact, I forgot all about it until a PM with some questions about it today. Glad I was able to fix it myself and save some money!

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Looks like a nice straight forward fix, so much for Apple's Nonsense about the computer looking for the best fit glass piece per aluminum frame, if true, then it's totally unnecessary :D