Cracked Glass 4s - Where Should I Repair?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by jbonios, Sep 11, 2012.

1. jbonios

jbonios New Member

The glass on the back of my iPhone 4S is cracked. I have AppleCare +. Should I take it into Apple for a repair or save my incidents for something more significant?

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

While I've never done it, I don't believe it's terribly difficult to source and replace it on your own. I know some here including Marianne have put on custom backplates.

3. jbonios

jbonios New Member

Thanks. I guess part of my concern was with regard to voiding my warranty. Looking forward to the new iPhone hopefully with less total glass.

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I don't believe that's something they can detect, but then again... what do I know.:eek:

Same here on the glass front. I never had a cracked glass screen, but there are no shortage of them. When I was at the Apple Store for my Genius appointment, there was someone with cracked glass. I'm betting it's a regular occurrence and hence the design change with the iPhone 5.

#4 chris, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  5. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

If Apple doesn't want to replace it under the +, which I think they will, it's a piece if cake to change the backplate. Hardest part is getting the pentalobe screwdriver. Put a custom Steve Jobs backplate on mine quite a while ago.

6. monkeysrock0622

Gold

Just replacing the back does not count towards your 2 "incidents". You can get the back replaced for $30 and save your 2 incidents for water damage or a cracked front.

As for the fake backs, tbh as long as it is the same color and design as the original back then you can't really tell its a fake. If you get something that is obviously not the original part, then Apple will not replace your phone even with AppleCare+

7. parmacrafter

parmacrafter Member
    Bronze

Replacing it yourself is very easy. I have replaced both front and back glass recently. I can tell you this......If you ever have to take the phone in and it appears that the two screws have been removed they will void your warranty. The screws are super soft and strip easily. I ordered my new glass from Ebay and got 2 new screws and the screwdriver at the same time.

8. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Yep, just get it replaced for $30 at the Apple store. It doesn't affect your warranty that way.

9. Nocluehow2

Nocluehow2 New Member

wish there was a Apple store closer than 3 hrs from me . I just noticed my back glass has a crack on my 4s . Any links for the repair glass and the tool ? Also a how 2 link ? I'll attempt to replace it myself . I'll be selling it to fund new iPhone5 in a month or 2 and I'll upgrade at that time but not sure as to when I'm eligible but I know it's in the next 2 months and so is my wife's iPhone4 . Thanks

10. parmacrafter

parmacrafter Member
    Bronze

11. treelessbark

treelessbark Member
    Bronze

I want to say ifixit.com really helpful tutorials oh how to replace the glass as well.