Cracked Screen. Repair or buy 3G?

Jun 20, 2008
Ok, Today I accidentally cracked the screen of my iPhone in two places. I called the support telephone number and the person I talked to told me that to repair my screen it would could $199. He also told me that at that price I'd probably just be better off buying the 3G iPhone. I know the logical thing to do would be to buy the 3G iPhone but I just love the way the original iPhone looks and I'm not so sure about the 3G iPhone.

Basically what I want to know is what any of you would do in my situation.

Thanks in Advance.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
in your shoes, i would be tempted to replace my 1st generation iPhone too, but it's so close to the 3G release that i think you should just wait for it, particularly if you are in an area with good 3G coverage.

how about buying the 3G iPhone and seeing how you like it? then, if you really miss the form factor of the 1st generation iPhone, you can return the 3G (AT&T will allow returns within the first 30 days) and then get your 1st generation iPhone repaired/replaced and just keep using that. best of both worlds that way - you get to try the 3G iPhone or get your 1st gen one repaired/replaced depending on what you like the best...

Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
im in the same boat as you are in...but wait ...i thought its $250 to fix it if the screen is broken....
I'll most likely get the 3G iPhone..if i don't like it...return and fix my V1 iPhone...
its just a waiting game now....
a waiting in line game on july 11th..

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
That's great advice Macgirl. By trying out the new 3G iPhone for 30 days, you are giving yourself an opportunity to give the 3G a chance. Because, ultimately, no matter how many people give their opinions, you can only make an informed decision by personally testing the new device.

Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
That's great advice Macgirl. By trying out the new 3G iPhone for 30 days, you are giving yourself an opportunity to give the 3G a chance. Because, ultimately, no matter how many people give their opinions, you can only make an informed decision by personally testing the new device.

ditto....only you can prevent forest fires.....i errrr aaaah mean only you can make the right choice for yourself...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
So long as the old iPhone' screen is still working and responsive, I'd keep it and wait for 3G. It's just around the corner.

- John

bigmac

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Los Angeles
yes but 'trying' the new phone will start a new contract correct? Wont they charge restocking fee too?

Laura123

Jul 17, 2007
repair might get cheaper

I suspect that with the introduction of the 2nd Gen iPhone (aka iPhone 3G) the prices for repairing your original 1st Gen iPhone will DECREASE - check out a third party repair company like ipodjuice.com before and after the release of the new iPhone and you will probably be surprised at the drop in price for a new screen:

http://www.ipodjuice.com/apple-iphone-repair.htm

hope that helps.

Laura

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
im in the same boat as you are in...but wait ...i thought its $250 to fix it if the screen is broken....
I'll most likely get the 3G iPhone..if i don't like it...return and fix my V1 iPhone...
its just a waiting game now....
a waiting in line game on july 11th..
199 to fix 4GB iPhone
249 to fix 8GB iPhone

Even though the Hardware is the same.
Personally I think it should be either A. Both the same or B. Flipped. Allow the users who spent more to buy the 8GB to get their phones repaired cheaper.

Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
199 to fix 4GB iPhone
249 to fix 8GB iPhone

Personally I think it should be either A. Both the same or B. Flipped. Allow the users who spent more to buy the 8GB to get their phones repaired cheaper.
yeah Will, weird on that. $250 to fix my 8GB that sucks balls man. If it becomes cheaper when the new 3G iPhone comes out I will get it fixed. I think I plan on keeping my V1 iPhone for a bit until I'm content that the new iPhone works just as good as the one minus the cracked screen.

Jun 20, 2008
199 to fix 4GB iPhone
249 to fix 8GB iPhone

Really? Because I have an 8GB iPhone and they told me $199 to repair it. I'm wondering if that was just a mistake or if the repair price has come down.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
199 to fix 4GB iPhone
249 to fix 8GB iPhone

I'm pretty sure they just give you a refurb and yours gets harvested to make more refurbs. I very much doubt any actual "repairing" goes on there. That would explain the prices.

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
I would just hang onto it until the 11th and go buy a new one. Alot of people talk about seeing if they like the new one better or not? It's the exact same device, only difference is the plastic back (3g and GPS isn't much of upgrade to me). So, go for the new one, get twice the memory for less then what you paid for the v1 8gb.

Jun 20, 2008
yes but 'trying' the new phone will start a new contract correct? Wont they charge restocking fee too?
Thats actually my main concern. I don't want to end up losing money if I don't like the phone . Also, there's no 3G where I live and from what I understand the data plan for the v2 iPhone costs $30 more. So wouldn't that be paying for something I can't even use? Can someone clear this up for me?

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
buying the new one will add 10 bucks a month to your bill... Something to consider too.. If that is not an issue for you just get the new one and dump the busted one on EBAY...