Cracking back and heat, related?

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
Ok, I have had my brand new replacement 3G for 3 days now and I insepected it when I first got it, it was flawless. Now I look today and I have a crack in the exact same spot as my last one, on the black plastic between the silver ring for the headphone jack and the silver bezel. I have not dropped the phone or plugged anything into the jack. The only thing I could think of is the heat the phone creates on top of it being in my pocket in the summer could have expanded the plastic enough to crack it?

Any thoughts? And no, I am by going to take this one back as I see it's now pointless because they'll just keep on cracking.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
You should be able to keep your phone in your pocket. If your pocket can add a few degrees to it then the snug fitting cases should do the same thing.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Hopefully, someone will make disposable iPhone cases out of dry ice to solve the heat problem.....:eek:.
Im thinking those tiny cracks are just in the paint (clearcoat) and not the actual plastic thats cracked.

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
:mad: This is reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally making NOT wanting to upgrade. I just looked at my co-workers black 16gb and his is fine, no cracks at all. Maybe QA is falling asleep at the wheel with some batches.