cracking finally happened....

so i have heard all the stories about the back of the 3G cracking, but it finally happened to mine... i don't know when it happened but i can see little cracks around the camera, cracks by the sleep/wake button, cracks by the volume switch, and a crack so big i can feel it by sliding my finger across it by the dock connector. I'm afraid if i just ignore it, the cracks will get bigger. I'm going to Thousand Oaks this weekend and i was wondering if Apple will exchange my phone? I know it will be a refurb but as long as the refurb doesn't have any cracks, im good... Also, my phone's bezel is not flush with the phone so i was wondering if that will be another issue they will take into consideration to exchange my phone. Thanks for any replies... I know this topic has been discussed several times so sorry in advance :) thanks so much

krypto

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
so i have heard all the stories about the back of the 3G cracking, but it finally happened to mine... i don't know when it happened but i can see little cracks around the camera, cracks by the sleep/wake button, cracks by the volume switch, and a crack so big i can feel it by sliding my finger across it by the dock connector. I'm afraid if i just ignore it, the cracks will get bigger. I'm going to Thousand Oaks this weekend and i was wondering if Apple will exchange my phone? I know it will be a refurb but as long as the refurb doesn't have any cracks, im good... Also, my phone's bezel is not flush with the phone so i was wondering if that will be another issue they will take into consideration to exchange my phone. Thanks for any replies... I know this topic has been discussed several times so sorry in advance :) thanks so much
My 3G just started showing these cracks as well. I made an appointment and went to an Apple Store in Honolulu yesterday and the Genius said "it's not supposed to look like that" and swapped out my 3G with a new 3G (not refurbished) no questions asked.

Nemss316

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
That's a bummer!

My friend had this happen to his about a month ago. He literally said he went to bed, the phone was fine. Woke up, and a crack started around his dock, and by lunch, it had grown all the way up to the Apple Logo. He took his phone in, and got it replaced no hassles. I believe he got a brand new phone as well.

Good luck!

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
how long before these cracks start showing up? and are they as noticeable on the black ones?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
This will not be a problem. Apple will replace with no hassle what so ever. As you have guessed, the replacement will be a refurb but will be as good if not better than new. The bezel not being flush has also been a problem with the 3G, so just another reason to get it exchanged.

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
(caution: Possible dumb question)

Do they transfer everything from your old phone to the new? I don't have cracks (yet) but was curious.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Just check your phone's casing and screen very carefuly before leaving the store. Do not accept any imperfections!

You should have no problems. I'm of the opinion that Apple's refurbs stand a much better chance at being perfect than do their new products. Not saying their products are faulty in general, just that the refurbs go through more rigorous quality control.

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
You will get it replaced and about the bezel not being flush with the phone you won't have to worry about that because that's another fault with your phone.

Sorry! Hope it all works out and good luck :)

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Your post has me worried, Rel... I'm starting to wonder how long it'll be before my phone starts developing cracks...

Anyways, good luck with Apple!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
As Dave said, make sure you fully inspect the refurb. Don't be satisfied with anything less than perfect. That being said, you should have it replaced with no problem.

Pimpboy51

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Careful saverino. My less than a month old 3G developed a CRACK ALSO! AND THE BEZEL IS ALSO MESSED UP! So it sounds like a big problem for everyone. Sad part is, I never dropped my phone, and that day I noticed the crack I was so pi$$ed off. It really messed up my Sunday. Next day I DROP the phone for the first time! NO DAMAGE TO IT SURPRISINGLY! so the crack comes out of nowhere! It angers me. I treat this iPhone like a prince. Im going to hopefully get mines replaced saturday

Your post has me worried, Rel... I'm starting to wonder how long it'll be before my phone starts developing cracks...

Anyways, good luck with Apple!
yes i know i remember reading all the other posts a while back ago about the cracks developing, but i had never noticed it because ive had a case on my phone... so i took it off and i see all these cracks... but i made an appointment at thousand oaks... i had no problem with my v1 when i had it replaced there... they were helpful, but this time i will really inspect the phone because last time i walked out and was heading back to bakersfield when i noticed the refurb they gave me had a dead pixel! so i'll let you guys know what's happening with my situation

Pimpboy51

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Even the cases can't protect this cheap crap. I love the iPhone but they made a major mistake in making it plastic. I also have a case on by mine a x a screen protector. Sad thing is there are cracks AND dust under my screen!

jrallan26

Jan 1, 2009
That was my question. Are these iPhone users protection?

Nemss316

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
These cracks certainly seem more common with the white iPhones, while the bezel issues seem to be more common with the black iPhones. Give me a gray color, and these problems will go away!

Pimpboy51

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I got a black iPhone. With 2 silicon cases and screenc protector. I only dropped it once AFTER I noticed the crak