Crackulous to bust iPhone app protection

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
so this is to steal apps. if so isint that $hit illegal man?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
^ Exactly. The other thing that strikes me is how this will affect iPhone developers. To say thanks for creating great apps that you want (if you support this app) you steal their apps and rob them of income they should be getting. To some of the bigger devs, the stolen portion may not make or break them, but for some smaller devs, this potentially pushes them right out of the game.

That'll be great huh. Steal all those great apps, bankrupt the people who make them, leading to less and less quality apps - especially those from smaller devs. Yeah that's sticking it to 'the man' right? Hurt the little guys most.

Way out of order ...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah, and I'm thinking most discussion of this application will be barred from these forums, so be careful folks, and do the right thing.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
^ Exactly. The other thing that strikes me is how this will affect iPhone developers. To say thanks for creating great apps that you want (if you support this app) you steal their apps and rob them of income they should be getting. To some of the bigger devs, the stolen portion may not make or break them, but for some smaller devs, this potentially pushes them right out of the game.

That'll be great huh. Steal all those great apps, bankrupt the people who make them, leading to less and less quality apps - especially those from smaller devs. Yeah that's sticking it to 'the man' right? Hurt the little guys most.

Way out of order ...
None of this matters to these jackals -- they can only think in the short-term.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Great -- now Apple can really focus on preventing jailbreaking...
That's exactly what I was thinking. Apple will no doubt create a new firmware update for the 3G or the next gen that will probably totally prevent jailbreaking. Sometimes these hackers go to far.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I would say the problem is that plenty of "jailbreakers" do not upgrade their firmware without first checking for compatibility. Sure there are a few devs making bucketloads off the app store, but plenty of developers are not doing so well. It's tough enough competing with the .99 cent apps, but now piracy.

FWIW (and I may be in the minority), but would we have these issues if Apple would announced an SDK (or a forthcoming SDK) when the v.1 was released? The jailbreaking community grew in response to Apple's lack of support for native apps and the push was for "web apps". Anyone even use those now?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
FWIW (and I may be in the minority), but would we have these issues if Apple would announced an SDK (or a forthcoming SDK) when the v.1 was released? The jailbreaking community grew in response to Apple's lack of support for native apps and the push was for "web apps". Anyone even use those now?
I think the answer to the first question is, sadly, yes we would. As Napoleon mentioned above, I believe there is little or no 'thinking' done by those who want to steal apps. Or the only thinking is about themselves.

I think there is a HUGE difference between supporting jailbreak, and supporting piracy and theft. The Dev Team has made clear always that they do not support piracy.

The only thing that would've reduced or eliminated the popularity of jailbreaking is if Apple would've made this a completely open platform.

I still use a few web apps - Google Reader is one that I use daily ...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
This is definitely a step backwards for the iPhone development community. I can't see this benefitting anyone aside from the thieves that wish to pilfer free apps from others.

I also agree that Apple will probably get even more aggressive about stopping the Jailbreak process.

CBRfanatic

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Bronx
I personally think this is not a big deal. You all are only complaining about it now because you know about it, but this has been going on for some time now. All you had to do was go to your favorite torrent site and put iPhone or iPod touch apps in the search and hundreds would come up, ive seen one torrent with over 600 apps all unlocked and ready for use with some SSH or even just syncing through iTunes!
Crackulous is just another way to do it soley on the iPhone.
And yes they dev community will loose some money, but the % of people jailbroken compared to the non jailbroken balances it out.
Piracy is in every form of media, from music and movies, to books and video games, you cannot stop piracy, and the iPhone was bound to fall into the scheme of things sooner or later.

Disclaimer: I do not condone or promote piracy

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I think there is a HUGE difference between supporting jailbreak, and supporting piracy and theft. The Dev Team has made clear always that they do not support piracy.
I agree completely.
The only thing that would've reduced or eliminated the popularity of jailbreaking is if Apple would've made this a completely open platform.
Yes and no. It's technically a closed platform, but if native apps were available at launch, I don't see the jailbreak community (users and developers) growing as it did during year one.
I still use a few web apps - Google Reader is one that I use daily ...
Ah! You are correct sir. Google Reader is my favorite app! Going to give Feeds a try. I hear it supports Google Reader.

-Chris

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
While the jailbreaking community definitely made this situation easier to achieve for the warez guys by granting system-level file access, I don't think we can blame them or Apple for this situation. Ever since the Appstore was introduced, I knew it would be hacked. Every platform eventually is, but especially the popular ones.

The Appstore has been easily cracked since inception... this is merely a new delievery method. You really can't stop these guys, all you can do is simply not support them on a personal level.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
honestly, all i have to say is that some apps are worth .99 and others are not. if an app is useful enough, then id gladly pay for it. but most of the time you end up buying an app and turns out to be a crapp, without you ever getting to try it out first. then you end up not ever using it again, and turns out to be a waste of money...

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I agree completely.

Yes and no. It's technically a closed platform, but if native apps were available at launch, I don't see the jailbreak community (users and developers) growing as it did during year one.

Ah! You are correct sir. Google Reader is my favorite app! Going to give Feeds a try. I hear it supports Google Reader.

-Chris
I think you're right on the point about if native apps were available at launch.

I need to try Feeds as well. Have been giving Doppler a whirl, and it's not bad so far - think I prefer it to Byline so far ...

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
honestly, all i have to say is that some apps are worth .99 and others are not. if an app is useful enough, then id gladly pay for it. but most of the time you end up buying an app and turns out to be a crapp, without you ever getting to try it out first. then you end up not ever using it again, and turns out to be a waste of money...
I agree that there are plenty of crap apps out there, that aren't worth squat, and that there should definitely be either a proper trialing mechanism, or more apps that do 'Lite' (free) versions to give you a feel before you purchase a full version.

But ... if I bought a number of new snack products at a grocery store that turned out to be crap, I still wouldn't feel like next visit I'd steal some stuff to make up for it ...

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
If they allowed trials, I bet that would increase downloads. Not sure if that translates to sales, as some apps do fall short.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Good news tonight. Seems Crackulous has been cracked and is getting sold by someone other than its original creator. Apparently the guy who created it is outraged that his pirate app has been pirated. It doesn't get much funnier than that.

Erica at ars technica has an article up on this ...

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Good news tonight. Seems Crackulous has been cracked and is getting sold by someone other than its original creator. Apparently the guy who created it is outraged that his pirate app has been pirated. It doesn't get much funnier than that.

Erica at ars technica has an article up on this ...
Funny..I guess that is what is called poetic justice. What goes around comes around in this case.