Craigslist scam

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Sure seems like it to me, but I just don't have enough experience with this stuff to know for sure. Is this a scam?:

I am very glad to hear back from you,but i will just like to know if the item is really in good condition?cos i wanna get this for my partner who is on a company project inspector in abroad, and i will not be able to come and pick it up from your place,Because am out of state for a Business trip,so i will be glad if you can help me to handle the shipping and i prefer to paying you $100 for the shipping cost via USPS EXPRESS MAIL INTERNATIONAL EMS AND YOU CAN GET THIS FROM YOUR POST OFFICE THERE....so get back to me with all details to proceed the payment and the total price including the shipping fee as well.....and i will like to pay you via paypal email account...ok.....so do get back to me now with your paypal email personal account for instant payment..ok....
I'd prefer a local, face-to-face transaction, so I'm thinking I'm going to say no to this one... advice?

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
Well if you have a paypal account it can't hurt to see if he actually pays. He can't do anything with just having the account name, everybody needs that to make a payment. If he doesn't pay then screw him. The email does sound weird though.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
There's ways to scam with paypal though, innit?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Dave, I just listed something on Craigslist for the first time ever. I got a very similar email this morning. Trust me, it is a scam. And unfortunately yes, you can be scammed through PayPal.
If this email was sent to you, do as I did and hit delete.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Scam. They use a stolen credit card, you ship it, then Paypal takes the money back.

I'll bet $100 the ship to address is in Nigeria.

I got a similar response to my ad.

mitchellm4

Bronze
Jan 21, 2009
Greensboro, NC
^ yeah when i was selling my ps2 i got an email almost exactly the same. it was a scam. just wait it out and you will get lucky eventually :)

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
I played along a little bit:

Yeah the network provider that works with AT&T is there so no problem
im shipping the item to

Address : No 16, Quarry rd
City : Abeokuta
State : Ogun State
Zip Code : 121101

so get back to me with your paypal email address so that i can proceed
with the payment at once.
regards.

On 22/06/2009, Joe T wrote:
>
> Where do you need it shipped to? Does AT&T provide service there? It
> will only work on AT&T.
>
>
> Sandra Klose <san.klose@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In regards to your response I'll like to buy this item,actually i
>> supposed to come and check the item but im currently not in States
>> right now so i wont be able to come over...im buying it this item for
>> my overseas partner as a compensation gift so I'll like to know the
>> current condition of the item! I offer $400 for the item and payment
>> will we handled via paypal also i'll include $90 for the shipping
>> via USPS PRIORITY MAIL INTL. so you can get back to me with your
>> paypal email address so that i can proceed with the payment at once.
>> Reply Asap.
>>

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Got another just like it from someone else. So annoying.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
I got 2 of those in 1 day. Its a scam.... I was happy at first then when I got the fake paypal email I noticed I was scammed so I did not mail the item. Face to Face is the way to go with craigslist

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Good move, Dave. I wouldn't trust anything other than face-to-face via Craigslist, like you said.

Dave, meet me Black Sheep Pub, midnight, we'll do the exchange. (Don't know how close you are to there!) :cool:

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I'm booking travel arrangements to that address so I can arrive and swift kick them in the nutz!

Xtgirl

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
When I was selling my iPhone on craigslist, most of the emails were either scammers or low ballers....I just waited it out, till I got a normal sounding email from someone who met me in person at a mall and it worked out great.

You can get seriously scammed on paypal too...just cause money goes into your account...you are not safe...paypal will always come after you for the money when they get screwed by these things...

These shipping type emails are always scams.....

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I've now gotten 3 of these and no real replies.

[sigh]

I guess Ebay is my next step.

Woody1776

Bronze
Feb 26, 2008
DFW
I got about 5 of those responses while selling my 3G. Just be patient.

If you list it, they will buy.