Crash crash crash

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MuddyPaws, Oct 26, 2011.

1. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

iPad2 iOS5

Apps crash all the time. Safari is hardly usable anymore. It will crash about every 5 minutes. I have tried everything. Any of you find a fix? If not, I hope Apple gets their crap together and fixes with a iOS update soon.

2. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Have you tried a restore? Sometimes it helps.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't have an iPad 2, but I know a few people who do and theirs are working just fine on iOS 5. I suggest restoring to factory settings.

4. InyigoMontoya

InyigoMontoya Contributor
    Bronze

Update mine to iOS 5 out of the box and have had no major issues. Safari works fine, ESPN app works great. Can't say I notice the same performance issues you are seeing. I did a hard reset right after installing iOS 5 and syncing. I agree with Europa. Restore to factory - update, sync and hard reset.

5. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

I would do as everyone is suggesting. Restore and then restore from a backup. If it still happens, you could have a corrupted backup. Try to restore again and set up as new. If you still have issues, it may be the hardware. My wife and I and a friend at work are on iOS5 and everything seems to be running great. As a matter of fact, I have been on iOS5 since the the 5th Beta.

Good luck!

6. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

no issues here
    none at the BETA either
    Some Apps are not ready for iOS5 not Apples vault
    I noticed you got a lot of issues with your Apple products ...

7. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

Wow....like I have said before. iOS is the new windows. For anything wrong with it the first suggestion is to restore. Close all windows and reboot. That don't fix it, format and re-install. LOL

There is a 9 page thread on the Apple support site about the same thing, so it's not just me.

8. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I also haven't had any problems. Neither have my folks.
    I would try a restore. Should help.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You could try resetting all settings first.

10. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I had an iPad 2 for a while that was on various iOS 5 betas, and never experienced anything that bad.

If someone recommends that you restore windows or OSX (not just limited to XP), it's because they don't know how to actually fix the problem. When we recommend to restore iOS, that's because it's the only option. We don't have the ability of a disk utility or checking .plist files or anything like that.

11. greasemuntney

greasemuntney Member
    Bronze

My 1st gen ipad crashed plenty of time son iOS 5 STOCK. checked around and found out that everytime I had iHeart Radio running in the background many different apps would just crash back to springboard. Goto General>About>Diagnostics & Usage>Diagnostics & Usage Data. open the file inside there and see what it says was running and using your memory when your crash occurred. This helped me find my issue. Hope it helps you too.

12. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Sounds like a great goto procedure before the last shot restore. Have to remember this one for future use. Like my new habit of shift dragging the keyboard for numbers.

EiC is great for such little tips and tricks. :D

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

13. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

yes, I'll have to check what is running on crash.

What is this shift drag you speak of?

14. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Something Europa pointed out about the keyboard in iOS. I like being able to long hold a key to reach it's alternate sets and wish this was ported to iOS. Not as good but definitely a shortcut, in iOS, you can swipe from the shift key to an alternate character and the keyboard returns to normal mode when you lift off the screen. Definitely better then having to tap the shift to return to normal. Especially useful with my passwords.

Hope that makes sense to you.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

15. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

Oh, I see. slide from the shift to a capital leter and slide from the number button to get a number.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Press the 123 key but don't let go. Now drag your finger up to a number and let go. The screen will automatically go back to the QWERTY keyboard. It's a faster way to put in passwords that have numbers and letters because you don't have to tap ABC after selecting a number.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Exactly. Pretty cool, huh?

18. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

yes, slick. That'll save a bit on my work password.

Didn't iOS4 have you hit the 123 button and then switched back to letters after you hit 1 number?

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

And make you switch keyboards ten times if you wanted to type ten numbers? No. That would be annoying. It has never been that way.

20. greasemuntney

greasemuntney Member
    Bronze

After seeing the crash report I stopped using iHeart Radio in the background and have had no more crashes. So helped me out. Love this site too. Great information here and plenty of people that doesn't mind helping.