Crashed iPod Touch, Can't reboot

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Nov 26, 2007
I recently updated the firmware on my iPod, stupidly forgetting that you shouldn't do that once you've cracked it. I used a program called ibrickr to reinstall the old firmware. I went to bed letting it download the old firmware and when I woke up it was 99.9% done. Figuring it froze or something went wrong I closed ibrickr and started the program back up. It went through a series of steps I'm a little foggy on, but the basic point is that I tried to reinstall the old firmware from the file that I think didn't quite download properly and now every time I plug my ipod in (because the battery died) it will try and boot but can't. It keeps going to the Apple logo, then I see a scrolling text thing like it's booting, then it repeats back to the Apple logo.....on and on until the battery dies again. Is there a way I can fix this problem or am I f*cked?

Scythal

Nov 29, 2007
Had the same unfortunate experience. Just press both the on/off switch and the home button for 30 seconds or so, until it reboots and display the default factory picture (mine was an invite to plug the USB connector, it could also be a yellow triangle).

I think this neverending loop is due to the mail program being installed while trying to restore.

More details here (check at the bottom of the page), or here.

Good luck! Once you got a hold of the iPod again, iTunes will most probably update it directly to 1.1.2, so you will have to downgrade to 1.1.1 and jailbreak again, check this link, get the zip file on that page, and follow the instruction it contains.

(meh... just saw the date of this post, am I late? ;))

Aug 17, 2010
this is a little late but for everyone else whos iPod touch/iPhone/(maybe) ipad has crashed this is how to fix it!

you cant just restart it (hold the "power" button and the "home" button), this will do absolutely nothing! some other people say to "master reboot" or whatever. this does not work either! when you master reboot, your ipod does show you to hook it up to iTunes, but when you do, iTunes does not read your ipod! here is thee way to fix youre crashed iPod touch, iPhone, and/or maybe ipad in just 10 easy steps:

1: plug in a USB cord to your computer that hooks up to your iPod touch.. etc. don't plug your iPod touch in yet!

2: make sure your iPod touch is off. if you don't know how to turn it off while the Apple logo is frozen in the middle of the screen, just hold the "power" button and the "home" button at the same time, until the screen turns black, then let go! (if you don't know what the home button is, its the only button on the front of your iPod touch with the little white square on it)

3: hold in the home button on your iPod touch.

4: while youre still holding in the home button, plug your iPod touch into the other end of the USB cord!

5: keep holding the home button until the picture*** shows up. (*** by the "picture" i mean the little picture that will show up showing the USB cord pointing to hook up to iTunes) heres a little diagram ==ll --> iTunes

6: now your computer and iTunes should read your ipod! if iTunes doesn't pop up, then just open it yourself!

7: over in the left column, it should show your "iPod Touch" or your iPhone or ipad

8: click that, and then click "restore"!

9: your ipod and iTunes will do a bunch of loading!

10: congrats, you just fixed your iPod touch/iPhone/ipad!

have fun and enjoy!

Scythal

Nov 29, 2007