Crazy or what ?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by jareknyc, Nov 29, 2014.

1. jareknyc

jareknyc Member
    Silver

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1417299433.581352.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe Forums

2. BobsApple

BobsApple New Member

Probably data usage from AT&T. Not sure what your data cap is.

3. jareknyc

jareknyc Member
    Silver

Unlimited data, that's probably for people with limits

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe Forums

4. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I think everyone gets warnings like that. I'm on unlimited data as well, I wish there was a setting in iOS you could enable so these warnings would disappear.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

That's not crazy at all, just a standard warning... It's just Apple washing its hands of any blame should you incur charges on your phone bill while downloading your iOS update via your cellular network.

It's a bit odd (but it doesn't mean anything) that in this instance, they wrote "will" apply—most warnings of this type use the much less ominous "may" apply.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

NoAnnoyance (Cydia) blocks quite a few of those popups. It might cover that one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Completely forgot about this tweak. Another reason to jailbreak ;)

It would be a nice feature if Apple had a sub-setting which allowed users who have unlimited data to preset a toggle which would disable data usage warnings throughout iOS.

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

...Or if iOS automatically communicated with your wireless carrier and adjusted itself accordingly.

Heck, if they got visual voicemail to work properly, and years ago at that, then I'm sure it would be quite possible to issue a simple true/false query to the network and make the result visible to iOS so that it could behave accordingly.

However, I'm inclined to believe that Apple will always err on the side of caution and warn you about potential data charges, even if the the technology to avoid the warning (when unnecessary) is available. This helps Apple avoid a scenario where hundreds or thousands of pissed off customers who get charged a fee for exceeding a data cap cry foul and attempt to band together and start a class action against it, against the carrier, or against both.

9. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

I have the Overcast app in addition to the native app. Each has the warning regarding potential data charges if one enables downloads over cellular.
    In case the OP cited, I was tempted to reply that it was merely a standard/canned warning that Apple probably requires for all apps ... aka "cover your ...".

YMMV