Crazy to buy 4s now?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by allbri, May 31, 2012.

1. allbri

allbri New Member

Reasons I want to buy now:
    My Evo is not working well and driving me NUTS!
    4S would be compatible (chargers, etc) with my husbands 4s and kids itouches.
    The 4s is a sure thing...in that I KNOW it works well, good battery life, people are happy with it, etc.
    I could get one NOW
    What if the "5" is buggy or has issues (poor battery life, etc)

Reasons I think I should wait:
    I would like a larger screen (as I am used to the Evo).
    I tend to like to have the latest gadget (when possible ;))
    Don't want to kick myself if the "5" is waay better.
    Don't want to have an outdated, obsolete phone for the next 20 months.

I have debated this in my head and am driving myself crazy!
    Just don't know what to do...ughhh!

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Honestly, it's not a hard decision, for me at least. I don't even have an upgrade available, so I will wait for the iPhone 5, which even then I still will have to wait a few months until my upgrade. Yes, you're right that the new iPhone may have some issues when it first comes out, but normally, at least in the past, those issues were solved within the first few weeks. I can tell you that they test the new phones well before they release them to the stores for sale. Most of the time, devices, especially phones, will have minor issues that can be solved with an updated iOS firmware through iTunes. It's highly unlikely that they will have to pull them off the market for a recall due to any major issues. That is not likely. In my opinion, if I were you, I'd wait for the new iPhone 5. It's been reported to be released in the next six months I do believe.

It's ultimately up to you though. What you could do to ease your mind is to compare the 4S with the iPhone 5 and look at the new features that the 5 has that the 4S does not have. Then decide from there. Of course the iPhone 5 will have a slightly bigger screen but will still be able to handle all applications through the App Store. Yes, I love to have the latest gadget as well, which may force me to wait a little longer until the iPhone 5 is released. What you could do, if you can wait a little longer, is to wait a week after it's released, for any issues to be resolved. I'm not sure what the order of the iPhone 5 will be like, if they would run out quick or not. It's hard to say. Most people get the new phone right when it is released, and then disappointed when they find bugs and issues with it.

Good luck with your decision. iPhone is awesome! Let us know if you have any more questions or concerns!

3. offroadhunter

offroadhunter Member
    Silver

Have you considered buying a used iPhone 4 as an interim solution and when the iP5 is released you can sell and upgrade? You'll be out a few $$ but it may be a solution. I bought my son a used iPhone 4 till the 5 comes out, then he'll upgrade. Not sure if it's an option for you but at least you can get something that works and will be compatible with the accessories you already have.

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

That is actually a great idea. I just looked at AT&T's website for used iPhone 4S's and they are pretty cheap (Refurbished).

16GB iPhone 4S - $149.99. But then you still have to look at the plans and such.

5. allbri

allbri New Member

If I buy a used iPhone can i take it to any carrier?
    And, do I need to sign a contract or could I go month to month until ne ip out?

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I would buy the used phone with a specific carrier, and not eBay. But that is just my opinion. As far as opting out, the contract lengths that I am seeing with AT&T is 2 years. You would have to contact them to get details about a month to month. I have not heard of this.

7. (L)

(L) Contributor
    Bronze

Buy a use phone from Craigslist. You can find them pretty cheap on there.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iCafe

8. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Cheaper, but they would still have to take it to a phone company to get it activated and such. Also Craigslist is not the safest, so it would be suggested to meet the seller in person, take a look at the phone before purchasing it, and make sure it works.

9. (L)

(L) Contributor
    Bronze

I found one for AT&T on Craigslist for $200.00. Don't know how that'd work through a CDMA carrier though.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iCafe

10. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I would rather just go through the carrier store or online website. Much safer and you know exactly what you're receiving.

11. Axne1

Axne1 Member

Boost mobile Is going to start selling the iPhone in sept so.... I'm getting the new one.

I bought my iPhone on contract with vzw, and am kinda thrown by the pre paid iPhone...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk