Create/Edit ringtones through iTunes only (Windows)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

RS1001

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
Minneapolis
Ok here is how I create Ring tones by using iTunes only.
1. Select song frong fron iTunes library that is a mp3.
2. Right click and convert selection to ACC
3. Right click new acc file in iTunes and "Get Info"
4. Choose Options tab and change start and stop times to 0 and 30 seconds. (check boxes)
5. Right click and convert selection to ACC again (new song is created but only 30 sec)
6. Right click new acc song and select "show in Windows Explorer"
7. Seclect properties and change .m4a to .m4r
8. Double click the file and vola... it is now in the ring tone folder
9. Sync and listen....:cool::cool::cool:

RS1001

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
Minneapolis
Not really

a bit late.[/quote]

Not really, my post tells someone how to create ringtones using iTunes to edit existing songs in iTunes and not have to use third party app

swampduck

Bronze
Oct 19, 2007
and probably a known fact, but you can set the times in the song to anywhere you want...not necessarily 0 and 30 seconds..I have some that start a minute into the song

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Also worth noting, though I haven't tried it myself, is that apparently there is no real need to limit it to 30 seconds. Others have reported successfuly creating and syncing longer ringtones.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
oK i'M A NEWBIE.....how do ypu know which songs in iTunes library are mp3s and can be converted?
It doesn't actually have to be an MP3. Basically, if it's in your iTunes library at all, you can convert it to AAC. It could be a WAV, AIFF, etc. no difference.

jafundy

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Ok tried that and now can't find where to change from .m4a to m4r. Files in Windoes say mpeg 4. Told you I'm new.....

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ok tried that and now can't find where to change from .m4a to m4r. Files in Windoes say mpeg 4. Told you I'm new.....
Follow the steps carefuly. Assuming you've made your ~30sec clip, you have to convert the clip into AAC first in iTunes, then right-click THE NEW FILE that iTunes created (right click it IN iTunes) and select "show in Windows Explorer". THEN you rename THIS file (in Explorer) ... It should be an *.m4a file... change it to *.m4r and double click it right there. It should be added to your ringtone folder (in iTunes).

tupacinla

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Great post! Thanks. One question though.

Is there a way to change the aac bitrate higher? When i play back the aac version, the volume comes out lower than the original... :(

I think I just need to change the bitrate.

eTEK

Bronze
Oct 7, 2007
Great post! Thanks. One question though.

Is there a way to change the aac bitrate higher? When i play back the aac version, the volume comes out lower than the original... :(

I think I just need to change the bitrate.

Open iTunes, Go to edit -> preferences then go to the advanced tab then the important tab then look for setting and scroll to customize.

jafundy

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Dang....still having a problem. when i go into Windows says MPEG4 audio file. Click on properties and no where to change to .m4r. Got Windows XP. What am i doing wrong?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Make sure in Windows under folder view options that you select to show extensions for all file types. I bet that's your problem...

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
well the only way i can make a ringtone is somethn i purchased from the iTunes store...how bout it still charges me an additional dollar after the purchase...man come on...

handi

Oct 9, 2007
Ok i have tried every step again and again, its still showing up as an mp3 when i go to show it in windows explorer.