create ringtone problems

Jul 12, 2008
ok so i used to change the filetype of songs to make my own custom ringtones but that trick dosent seem to work anymore. any advice?

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
ok so i used to change the filetype of songs to make my own custom ringtones but that trick dosent seem to work anymore. any advice?
Did you convert them to AAC first, copy to desktop, then rename?

Jul 12, 2008
yeah. like it'll put the file i bring from the desktop in the "ringtones" category on the left of iTunes. but they're still full length, not the 30 secs i made them before i dragged over to my desktop. let me make sure im not missing a dumb little step. i create AAC version, edit the new AAC version to be 30 secs or less of whatever part of the song i want make sure i check the 3 boxes for playback, then drag that song to the desktop, rename it, double click and there ya go.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
here's what i do:

1. choose the song and make it 29 seconds long
2. create it to an AAC file
3. click on the aac version and right click "show in windows explorer"
4. change the file from m4a to m4r.
5. drag it to ringtones.
6. click on the ringtones tab and make sure it's checked
7. sync your phone.

mccray44

Dec 22, 2008
I am new to the iPhone and want to make custom ringtones is there a step by step thread on how to do it? How do I convert song to AAC?

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
I am new to the iPhone and want to make custom ringtones is there a step by step thread on how to do it? How do I convert song to AAC?
Those are the steps that u do right above the post u posted. All of it is done in iTunes.

IMorgoth

Jan 25, 2009
here's what i do:

1. choose the song and make it 29 seconds long
2. create it to an AAC file
3. click on the aac version and right click "show in windows explorer"
4. change the file from m4a to m4r.
5. drag it to ringtones.
6. click on the ringtones tab and make sure it's checked
7. sync your phone.

Not to sound dense, but selecting a song from iTunes, which blocked from being made into ringtone, how does one "make it " 29 seconds ? I'm assuming there IS a way to create a ringtone from ANY song on your iTunes list, whether purchased or not. I've bought songs and created ringtones which are allowed, but I'd really like to make some tones from my own music.

Thanks for your help.

evan424

Sep 14, 2007
I've found the easiest way is to download a program called Iringer from the internet. Then I go to Zedge.com. They have a million sounds/ringtones etc. Save the one you like to your computer and then open Iringer. It lets you select the snippet of the sound you want, fade in/out, and then it imports it into iTunes automatically. No file name changing etc. Really easy! By the way--all completely free!

jdinner

Bronze
Dec 14, 2008
Download a free audio editing program called AUDACITY . You will use it for many other things when you learn it, it is easy too.
Make a song 29 seconds long or shorter and save it to iTunes library.
then in iTunes
Click EDIT > PREFERENCES > GENERAL tab > middle of screen click > IMPORT SETTINGS > Import using AAC Encoder.
Find your 29sec sound clip, right click and choose "CREATE AAC VERSION"
Now, drag the AAC version to your desktop.
Now DELETE both versions from inside iTunes leaving the only copy on your desktop.
Right click the clip on your desktop and change the file extension from m4p to m4r. Just change the p to an r.
Now double click it and it will appear in iTunes inside to newly created folder called RingTones. (That is if it wasn't there before)
It will now appear in the ringtone area when you connect your phone.
Simply sync and your are done.
The newly created ringtone will appear in a sub-menu inside SETTINGS > SOUNDS > RINGTONE called "CUSTOM" on your iPhone.

IMorgoth

Jan 25, 2009
I've found the easiest way is to download a program called Iringer from the internet. Then I go to Zedge.com. They have a million sounds/ringtones etc. Save the one you like to your computer and then open Iringer. It lets you select the snippet of the sound you want, fade in/out, and then it imports it into iTunes automatically. No file name changing etc. Really easy! By the way--all completely free!
Thanks for the info. I gave it a try, and dang if it don't work great! One small hiccup, I tried to import 1 song and it said it had already done so, but it didn't show up in my iTunes file. I closed up everything and restarted my computer, to see if that worked. But that got me thinking, is there any limit to ringtones one can add to their phone ? I wouldn't think so, but then again, i wouldn't think we'd be blocked from making ANY ringtones we wanted, especially if it's our music! :p

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have used iRinger for a while now, and are very happy with it! I went an donate the developer, and that released some nasty effects for use on the ring tones... ;)

IMorgoth

Jan 25, 2009
Oh yeah. I did the same, and I like how the image of the iRinger window gets clearer too! Dunno if I'll use the afore mentioned effects, but 'tis better to have and not need than....well, I'm happy as a clam w/ this application.

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
try Audiko.net - it's so simple and there is no software to download.

IMorgoth

Jan 25, 2009
Isn't Audiko.net a subscription service, that charges like 9.95 a month ? I only looked at it briefly, and may have missed something.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
LOL...guys (and gals!)...just use the FREE and easy of use iRinger - it convert your ringtone directly into iTunes...what more do you want? (maybe SMS -> MMS converter!?....)

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
Audiko.net is free. I use of and haven't even signed up.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
Iringer is great for pc but it doesn't work for mac.

Miss M

Jan 3, 2009
I read everywhere people talking about a 30 sec clip. I actually create mine at 40 and the whole clip plays.

IMorgoth

Jan 25, 2009
To be honest, I've had problems w/ using i-Ringer on a few select songs. Dunno why, but when I try to import , it says no such file exists. Funny, because I can find that song, right there on my iTunes library. Are some songs double blocked or some such?