Creating a WiFi Hotspot

bulls6pack

Bronze
Jan 27, 2009
Peoria, Illinois
Does anyone know how to create a wifi hotspot without a computer? I am very interested in creating a wifi hotspot for myself at work, but I have zero access to computers at work. I have seen such things as Windows Mobile phones and programs those users can download on their phone that turns their phones into hotspots, but I don't think there is anything like that for the iPhone. Another cool thing I have seen is the Verizon Mifi thing, but I have no knowledge of that particular piece of equipment, and I have no idea how it works. Any ideas?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Well, one way or another, you have to have something that has access to the internet first, before you can connect to it to create a wifi hotspot. Whether it's a LAN connection or connection through another device such as a phone with WiMax, but it would also have to have a WiFi card for peer to peer connectivity to make the hotspot.
With no access to computers, your options are pretty limited, and if you make one off your network at work, it's highly likely that you'll get in trouble for doing it.

bulls6pack

Bronze
Jan 27, 2009
Peoria, Illinois
So this Verizon Mifi thing I saw on Best Buys website, do you know anything about it? Im guessing here, but I think that it would have to run off of Verizons network, because it said you can take it on the go with you in your car. So if thats the case then you probably need to have Verizon correct?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Sorry, I don't know anything about it, but I can guess that any device that is used to access the internet through a Cell carrier, is going to cost money. And a monthly plan.

timothy14

Oct 5, 2009
google "use iPhone as wifi hotspot".

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Does anyone know how to create a wifi hotspot without a computer? I am very interested in creating a wifi hotspot for myself at work, but I have zero access to computers at work. I have seen such things as Windows Mobile phones and programs those users can download on their phone that turns their phones into hotspots, but I don't think there is anything like that for the iPhone. Another cool thing I have seen is the Verizon Mifi thing, but I have no knowledge of that particular piece of equipment, and I have no idea how it works. Any ideas?

If you jailbreak an iPhone you can download MyWi or PdaNet. Either on of these applications turns the iPhone into a mobile WiFi hotspot. You should check them out, they are both brilliant.

Maketso

Silver
Jul 17, 2010
I have the Verizon mifi (for the non-jailbreakers, haha) and it's great. Obviously you have to have Verizon wireless service, and you might have to have a computer to set it up the first time, I don't remember. It's about the size of 5 credit cards stacked up. I carry it in my wallet when I travel. It's rechargeable. You can operate 5 devices on it at a time. I have my iPhone , my iPad, my MB, and my printer on it.

surfer

Bronze
Jun 19, 2010
Northwest Arkansas
www.imacguy.com
I have the Verizon mifi (for the non-jailbreakers, haha) and it's great. Obviously you have to have Verizon wireless service, and you might have to have a computer to set it up the first time, I don't remember. It's about the size of 5 credit cards stacked up. I carry it in my wallet when I travel. It's rechargeable. You can operate 5 devices on it at a time. I have my iPhone , my iPad, my MB, and my printer on it.
I saw at Best Buy last night that AT&T has a similar device.

fearofnormalcy

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
New Port Richey, FL
www.facebook.com
If you jailbreak an iPhone you can download MyWi or PdaNet. Either on of these applications turns the iPhone into a mobile WiFi hotspot. You should check them out, they are both brilliant.
I have MyWi, and it's fantastic! Obviously you have to be jailbroken to get it, but as I've said before, it's not really your iPhone until you jailbreak...it's the difference between having a phone and a mobile computing device in your pocket!

That said, MyWi may be the best $20 you'll ever spend, considering AT&T will charge you an extra $20 monthly just to tether a SINGLE device to your iPhone...and you have to have one of the "capped" plans to even do it. No love for us grandfathered in to the old unlimited plan...

MyWi is great: You simply name your WiFi whatever you want, set WEP password if you choose, flick the switch to ON, and it's up and running! I've had my MacBook Pro, iPad AND wife's 3GS all tethered to my 3GS simultaneously, and it worked flawlessly. Whatever your 3G speeds on your iPhone are, is what you can expect surfing speeds to be like on a MyWi connection. Usually not enough speed to support FaceTime, but ample enough to surf the net. It even supports USB tethering, if you're into that sort of thing.

I will say MyWi has the potential to become very expensive if you don't have an Unlimited plan, as it's easy to lose track of data usage as you tether away. Luckily MyWi keeps a tally of what devices are connected, and how much data is being uploaded/downloaded.

In short, I highly recommend MyWi, and personally find it to be the easiest tethering solution available...to jailbreakers, that is!

:)