Creating New E-Mail Folders

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Vistacode

Jul 19, 2007
Anyone found the real deal on this yet?...

The manual shows additional e-mail folders (instead of just Inbox, Sent, and Trash). I don't see any way to create these types of additional folders. I thought maybe they need to be designated in Mail on my mac and then Synced, but that didn't work either. Considering the incredible e-mailing capabilities of the iPhone, organizing your e-mail is key.

For instance, I create an e-mail with any specific info I know I'll need while on the road the following day (images, names/numbers, links, notes, etc.) and send it to my phone. The links open web pages or an addressed e-mail, and any phone number in the e-mail dials the phone. Keep in mind that any number your iPhone has dialed, can then be easily used to create a new contact file on the phone.

I probably understand the reasons why there isn't advanced features like copying/pasting and saving any e-mail attachments... yet. Hopefully they're coming.

But simply organizaing your e-mails into folders is important. How can this be done?

Thanks for any Help.

Bri

stiphone

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
Tucson, Arizona
just for your information, I just found out recently too that Gmail doesn't allow you to create folders whereas Yahoo mail allows it. Just log in to your Yahoo mail via the web browser and create folders from there. After that, presto! It appears on the iPhone.

I've also discovered that I cannot move emails to folders in another email account on the iPhone.

Hope this helps.....

AngelJO008

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
I hope that they change this part of the mail system. I'm not too fond of Yahoo mail so I use gmail, and I would like to be able to utilize folders on my iPhone for my gmail account.

Sep 17, 2008
Creating folders

if you create a label on your gmail account the next time you sync up a new folder will show up on your default gmail screen under [Gmail]Trash.

Oct 24, 2008
Extra Folders

I have POP email and also have an additional folder on my email but this hasn't appeared on my iPhone, I still only see Inbox, sent and Trashdoes anyone know if this is just because it is POP3.:(

oakie

Bronze
Oct 18, 2008
Las Vegas
www.revtarded.com
I hope that they change this part of the mail system. I'm not too fond of Yahoo mail so I use gmail, and I would like to be able to utilize folders on my iPhone for my gmail account.
this is not an iPhone issue... this is a gmail issue. gmail doesn't use folders, and as such, there is no way to make the iPhone support gmail "folders" when the functionality doesn't exist within gmail.

you do get a folder type of emulation within the email app on the iPhone, but it merely flags the emails with the standard gmail flagging system. you can create flags within the gmail web app.

Nov 25, 2008
Folders and sub folders in Mail on the iPhone 3G

Hi guys (& gals) ...

Just to let you know, and someone has probably worked it out already so apologies if someone has and I'm just blabbing on about something everyone already knows, but I've just worked out how to set up folders, but more importantly sub folders in Mail on the iPhone.

For those who don't know, (and this is using a gMail account and set up as IMAP) - log into your gMail account via your browser - go to settings - go to labels - then simply type in your subfolder as below .:

INBOX/Test Folder/Test Sub Folder

Remember that this works like a tree diagram - levels, and sub levels etc.

Click create.

Save changes.

Have a cup of tea / coffee / and check your iPhone (assuming you're set up to use IMAP) - hey presto - folders & sub folders available to use as required !

HTH

Ben

Jul 1, 2009
Replying through Gmail IMAP

I'm running my email through the Zoho POP server but they don't yet support IMAP. I've seen quite a few people suggesting forwarding my emails to Gmail and then using IMAP, but when I do this any reply I send comes from the Gmail account and not the Zoho. Obviously this is just going to confuse everyone I reply to. Is there a way around this?

Oct 30, 2008
I'm running my email through the Zoho POP server but they don't yet support IMAP. I've seen quite a few people suggesting forwarding my emails to Gmail and then using IMAP, but when I do this any reply I send comes from the Gmail account and not the Zoho. Obviously this is just going to confuse everyone I reply to. Is there a way around this?
After you verify that you own the other account you can set GMail to send mail from either account. I have mine set to reply from the account that the original mail was sent to. you can also change it for each outgoing email.

Ken

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
With a Pop account ( I have verizon/Outlook) is there a way to set up a saved mail folder on the iPhone? or will all my mail have to stay in the inbox.
Actually, POP Mail from my ISP can be saved in my subfolders in a separate GMail account right on the iPhone. So if you set up the folders you need in GMail, some mail from your other accounts can be saved there. Probably just POP and not IMAP.

Brent89

Dec 6, 2010
Not 10 minutes ago I created 3 new folders(labels) on my G-mail account in a PC. Without any syncing or any effort on my part these new folders appeared in my iPhone4 and Ipad. It might be a Mobile Me thing, I just don't know. I believe it happened with my Previous phone(iPhone3G). I would like to be able to create the folders in the iPhone or Ipad but I don't think its possible. Maybe it will be in a lter version of iOS. In my Imac i've created folders for my Mobile Me e-mail account and they show up in the phone and iPad. Regardless of whether Mobile Me makes this possible I'm sure checking the right boxes in iTunes and syncing will accomplish the same result.

Jan 4, 2011
I have been trying to create new folders to store saved mail on the iPhone. There is a new folder in the Mobile me account, but I cannot do this in the yahoo account. However, following the ios4 upgrade in November all my yahoo folders miraculously appeared on my ipad - but still no sign of them on my iPhone 4.

Anyone know why?

Apr 5, 2011
E-Mail Folders

The only way I found to create new folders is to create new accounts, using the same email address and log in information for my POP account. Setting up duplicate accounts with different names, problem is you then have to go through each account and delete the emails you do not want saved in that account as all emails to that address will be received in all of the accounts you have set up, much duplication of effort for such a minor problem - why not just fix it. In a businesss where I have to manage several projects at a time, I like to save emails to project folders, After using a BlackBerry for several years I am not at all impressed with this iPhone - Business unfriendly.