Credit Card Help!

johnnyboy

Sep 8, 2008
So my local best buy just started to sell the iPhone 3g yesterday, and i'm looking to finally purchase it...i'm 19 years old and don't have a credit card, but my aunt agreed to use her credit card for the monthy billing and i just pay her for everything monthy...but heres my confusion now...if the iPhone is going to be under her name,does that mean when people try to call me they are going to see her name instead of mine?(assuming the iPhone is under her name because it's under her credit card)...so my question basically is there any way i can put the iPhone under my name but still at the same time be using my aunt's credit card for the phone?...sorry if this sounded alittle confusing...help would be muchly appreciated...thank you!

-Johnny

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
Why are you have to Use a credit card? You don't have a bank account with a debit card?

johnnyboy

Sep 8, 2008
Why are you have to Use a credit card? You don't have a bank account with a debit card?
i do have a bank account, and i tried to apply for a credit card, but they denied me...two times now...and i heard debit isn't that safe

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
debit cards are still protected through your bank and being that its best buy, I doubt there will be a high chance of a scam issue.

Also too, just because you buy the phone with a credit card, doesn't mean that you will being paying your monthly bill with a credit card. AT&T does run a credit check and if you don't pass, you'll have to put down a 500 dollar deposit, but that doesn't equate you to needing a credit card to pay the monthly bill.

As for your aunt's name coming up on caller ID, that will depend on the person your calling service provider. AFAIK, no cell provider puts a name on your cell phone with the #, its up to you to type in the contact to go with the #. Now for land lines.... you got me! I haven't used a land line in my home in years.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
I don't see how debit and credit are any different. I don't know how to answer your questions but I don't think what card the funds come from should matter. Just make sure your name is on the contract.

johnnyboy

Sep 8, 2008
debit cards are still protected through your bank and being that its best buy, I doubt there will be a high chance of a scam issue.

Also too, just because you buy the phone with a credit card, doesn't mean that you will being paying your monthly bill with a credit card. AT&T does run a credit check and if you don't pass, you'll have to put down a 500 dollar deposit, but that doesn't equate you to needing a credit card to pay the monthly bill.

As for your aunt's name coming up on caller ID, that will depend on the person your calling service provider. AFAIK, no cell provider puts a name on your cell phone with the #, its up to you to type in the contact to go with the #. Now for land lines.... you got me! I haven't used a land line in my home in years.
so if me and my aunt go to best buy to buy the phone, can we tell them to put my name as the cell phone contact instead of my aunts?

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
so if me and my aunt go to best buy to buy the phone, can we tell them to put my name as the cell phone contact instead of my aunts?
Well, as an authorized user, BUT AT&T might not let the contract go through under your name without the deposit if you don't have good credit. It doesn't matter who pays for the phone, let me explain. When I bought my 3G, I was going to use my joint account to pay for the phone, but I didn't have my check card with me. My wife had her's with her name on it and we used that to pay for the phone, but the phone went in my name.... now my case was a little different as it was a replacement for my v1 iPhone and my number just got transfered over, so maybe thats why it wasn't an issue.

I say, give AT&T a call, explain that you have the $$, but don't "believe" in credit cards, explain that your family member with a CC is going to help you, but you want the account in your name and see what they say.

SPB3690

Jul 18, 2008
i do have a bank account, and i tried to apply for a credit card, but they denied me...two times now...and i heard debit isn't that safe
First and formost, you need to figure out why you have been denied a credit card........ Twice......... Generally, anyone with a pulse can get some form of credit card. I would advise you to check your credit just to make sure you are not a victim of some type of fraud or theft.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
You don't have to have a cc, for the monthly billing you can pay by check, cc or cash at most corporate AT&T stores

You may need a cc for the initial purchase but definitely not for your monthly bill. You say you have a bank account ,use their bill pay service. I personally use my debit card to pay all my bills and it is just as safe as using a credit card

tbs

Bronze
Aug 23, 2008
When I got my iPhone 3G it was purchased by my husband so we could take advantage of his corporate discount. He signed the contract. When the phone was initially setup it had his call ID info. The person at the AT&T store said they (locally) couldn't change it that we needed to call AT&T. The next day we did and in a matter of minutes they made the change online and it took effect immediately. The caller ID now shows my name.

The next thing my husband did was add me as an authorized user on the account so I could call AT&T directly.

Dec 18, 2007
Danbury, CT
Why don't you apply for a Best Buy Card? They will generally give one to anybody and it will help you to establish credit. At 19 years old, you want to get your credit established now.

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
the best buy card gave me an idea. When I was at the Apple store, there were those who did bring cash, well the Apple employees let them buy a gift card with the cash and then was able to use the gift card for the phone... see if best buy will let you do that too.