credit check?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iphone62907

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Can someone please explain the credit check that I need to go through before buying an iPhone? What is it exactly?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyled8888@gmail.com

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
They have to check your credit score to see if you'll likely pay your bills on time. If you score high enough, you'll get an iPhone no problem. If your score is low, then you'll ahve to pay a security deposit which will gain interest and you will get it + interest back after 1 year. Thsi deposit could be $50-$300, depending on how low your score is.

iphone62907

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
They have to check your credit score to see if you'll likely pay your bills on time. If you score high enough, you'll get an iPhone no problem. If your score is low, then you'll ahve to pay a security deposit which will gain interest and you will get it + interest back after 1 year. Thsi deposit could be $50-$300, depending on how low your score is.
thanks! do i do this at the att store or online? i am confused, i have been a cingular customer for a few years

Kyled8888@gmail.com

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
They should already ahve you on file then, in which case you wouldn't need one. (Hopefully you've been paying your bills on time ;) ), but in any case, it's done via iTunes.

Kyled8888@gmail.com

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
No, put in their billing information and SSN in iTunes. You can use your iTunes account though, even if it has your billing info (a separate box will be used for credit check, I called Apple and asked :D )

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
if the parent does the check, the account has to be in their name, so the bill will go to them. You can pay it with debit/credit, but you can't put in yourself as the billing addressee.

And you don't get the deposit back + interest. You just get the deposit back after a year or possibly two years, and the deposits range from $150-$750, not $50-$300 as stated above.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
thanks! do i do this at the att store or online? i am confused, i have been a cingular customer for a few years
as long as you've paid your bill on time, you won't have any problem at all, but if you've slow paid a few times they might want some cash.

They will do a pre-approval at the store just in case you're worried about your credit or a possible deposit requirement.

from the At&t iPHone FAQ:

Activation

Q. How do I activate iPhone?
A.
You activate iPhone in a whole new way—using iTunes right on your computer. All you need is a PC or Mac, a credit card or debit card, access to the Internet and an email address.
The credit approval for your AT&T service also happens on your computer. It’s part of activating through iTunes, but if you’d rather have your credit pre-approved before you leave the store, an AT&T store representative can help you with that

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
It would go to whomever got their credit checked (since the account would then be in their name). It would go to them, unless they change their address to be your address, but then it would still be sent to their name. iTunes billing has no relation to AT&T's service bills.

captain4004

Bronze
May 2, 2007
Charleston SC
Well that sucks....oh well....
If you want the phone bad enough like I do you'll pay it and be happy, I have to pay a $300 deposit and I have a house, I have an old unpaid Suncom bill and that's what caused me to pay a deposit.

I pay my mortgage on time because I do what I gotta do, if I want more money then I go out and make some, so go mow a few lawns, offer to wash the neighbors car etc.

MBHockey

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
I am just curious what constitutes an acceptable credit score for AT&T/Apple? I checked mine the other day on FreeCreditReport.com, and it's a 789 so I'm not worried....but what do you think the cutoff is?

rhproductions

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Tennessee
If you want the phone bad enough like I do you'll pay it and be happy, I have to pay a $300 deposit and I have a house, I have an old unpaid Suncom bill and that's what caused me to pay a deposit.

I pay my mortgage on time because I do what I gotta do, if I want more money then I go out and make some, so go mow a few lawns, offer to wash the neighbors car etc.
I do what I have to do as well, I work everyday and make an exremely decent income for my age. Just because I pay my bills a certain way and haven't even messed with the credit world, I just think they should have another option for finding out if I pay my bills on time, which I do. Thats all. I'll gladly pay the money if I have to to get the beloved iPhone.;)