Cropping a photo in the camera roll leaves the original behind?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I had a picture in my camera roll. I used iOS's built-in Crop function to remove approximately half of the picture. Up until now, I had always assumed the edit destroyed the original. Today, when I subsequently imported the cropped picture into the Snapseed app for processing, I saw that the original, uncropped picture popping up after the import was complete, including the cropped portion (from within Snapseed itself, I see the cropped version while browsing the camera roll to select a picture).

As a test, I used the FB app to post that cropped picture to my Timeline. The cropped version is posted, not the original.

I tried the same procedure using an app called SpaceEffect, and it imports the cropped version.

So, does anyone know what's going on behind the scenes? Why is Snapseed getting the original (uncropped) version of the picture, while Facebook and SpaceEffect get the cropped version?

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I had a picture in my camera roll. I used iOS's built-in Crop function to remove approximately half of the picture. Up until now, I had always assumed the edit destroyed the original. Today, when I subsequently imported the cropped picture into the Snapseed app for processing, I saw that the original, uncropped picture popping up after the import was complete, including the cropped portion (from within Snapseed itself, I see the cropped version while browsing the camera roll to select a picture).

As a test, I used the FB app to post that cropped picture to my Timeline. The cropped version is posted, not the original.

I tried the same procedure using an app called SpaceEffect, and it imports the cropped version.

So, does anyone know what's going on behind the scenes? Why is Snapseed getting the original (uncropped) version of the picture, while Facebook and SpaceEffect get the cropped version?
It doesn't really "crop" the image. All you're doing is telling the Photos app to use a specifically portion of the image. You can actually go back to re-edit the photo and zoom back out or uncrop the image by pinching in. The full image is always there.

enjoylife1788

Bronze
Jan 7, 2011
It doesn't really "crop" the image. All you're doing is telling the Photos app to use a specifically portion of the image. You can actually go back to re-edit the photo and zoom back out or uncrop the image by pinching in. The full image is always there.
Exactly. That's what t does.

But as the OP said, he gets different results when trying to access the photo from different app. So that got me interesting. I don't know why it should do that.

Sent using iCafe app

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Exactly. That's what t does.

But as the OP said, he gets different results when trying to access the photo from different app. So that got me interesting. I don't know why it should do that.

Sent using iCafe app
Some devs design their photo editing apps to incorporate the native Photo app settings when importing an image into their apps.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I guess if one wants "true" cropping, one should take a screenshot of the picture while the cropped portion is visible on the screen, but then again, that is going to sacrifice quality if any further zooming takes place thereafter.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I guess if one wants "true" cropping, one should take a screenshot of the picture while the cropped portion is visible on the screen, but then again, that is going to sacrifice quality if any further zooming takes place thereafter.
Or just use a 3rd party photo editing app to crop your image.