Cruise Advice

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Hey Guys and Gals...

Getting ready to take a cruise to Cozumel. I was thinking about taking my iPhone. But after reading the stories about cruise ship rates and international rates. I'm thinking even if I do take it. To leave it on Airplane Mode.

Anyone ever use their phone on a cruise ship?

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I've never used my iPhone on a cruise but if I did I would definitely leave it on flight mode to prevent any data usage.

Side Note: I brought a regular mp3 player with me on my last cruise and NEVER used it...IMO, this is why I wouldn't bring my iPhone.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I take my iPhone with me everywhere and I've even used it in areas outside the US where I got a signal, including several cruises. I avoid data use by turning off Data Roaming but the roaming/international usage on the voice calls were a little expensive...something over $1.25/minute.

Just turn off Data Roaming and you'll be fine.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Hey coop long time no see. I would suggest putting your phone in airplane mode for a couple hours, fiddle around with it, and see if it would be worth it to you to take it. Some apps have to go online to be useful so in airplane mode they are worthless! I turn airplane mode on at church so the GSM noise does not affect the churches sound system. While in the churches nursery watching my daughter play I started to use my phone and half of the apps did not work. I don't wear a watch so the clock on my phone makes it a must carry at all times!

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Thanks guys... I appreciate it. I know Carnival has a thing worked out with AT&T. but it appears to be pretty expensive. It looks like they would give AT&T customers a break on a cruise. Apple... I come on here a lot and read. But I don't post much anymore. But this is a great place for information and enjoy reading what everyone writes.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
As far as I know, no cruise line provides free WiFi. It's typically about $0.50/minute or about $100 for a 250 minute package. You can use your own computers in certain areas of the ship (internet cafe, public areas and lounges) but I don't know which lines have access in the cabins. The last one we went on actually did have access but that's because we were just below a lounge and we could pick up the signal.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Does Carnival provide free Wifi?
Most newer Carnival ships nows, boast about there stem to stern wi-fi access. The ship I'm on has wi-fi in certain areas.

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
Well I have a question...how are you going to get any sort of signal in the middle of the ocean? Does the ship have some kind of cell phone tower on it?

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Well I have a question...how are you going to get any sort of signal in the middle of the ocean? Does the ship have some kind of cell phone tower on it?
Ships have satellite links that are used for internet and cell service. The have receivers on the ship that transmit the cell connection over the satellite link.