crystal film cover necessary?

V Diddy

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
the one that you put over your screen..

my sister and i just got it and it came with 2, so she put hers on and i put mine.. but after i applied mine, you can see about 2-3 pieces of lint that got caught in the adhesive and they left some pretty noticeable spots.. so i just took the dang thing off.

is it really necessary? i mean.. the screen already is pretty scratch-resistant.. even in the demo they rubbed some keys on it and not a scratch.

let me know! maybe i can return it and just say that it was defective =P

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
i think its mostly to reduce glare
my friend had one and it really worked
u just loose the amazing quality of the screen

V Diddy

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
i think its mostly to reduce glare
my friend had one and it really worked
u just loose the amazing quality of the screen
oh no i didn't get the anti-glare.. i got the crystal one that's perfectly clear. doesn't do much against glare.. so i ask again.. is it necessary? even now considering it doesn't even reduce glare.. haha

i just read a post about people going completely naked.. i have a crystal-clear hard plastic case made by contour and i love it because you can see the whole body of the phone..

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
V Diddy: I use an anti-glare one and it's the best. Makes reading in any lighting condition a breeze - no glare from the screen.

If you want to put it on without the lint caught underneath, just clean the screen well with a lint free cloth and then quickly put the protector on the screen and make sure to wipe your work area with a lint free cloth and some windex before to get all the lint away.

V Diddy

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
yeah you mentioned the anti-glare screen cover, but mine is just a clear screen cover that doesn't do much for glare.. so is it really necessary? i'm kinda liking the naked glass feel of it.. and plus it's already pretty resistant to scratches so yeah..

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
many people fell for the scratch resistant claim for v1. They then put their phone in their pocket only to pull it out and notice, well, scratches. They swear up and down that keys were in a different pocket than the phone. I think micro sand And every day dirt would be the culprit.

When trying to put the crystal cover on don't peel the whole thing off at once. Start one edge lined up with the home button and peel as you go while at the same time smoothing out air bubbles. It helps to do it around an air cleaner or a room like your bathroom that isn't carpeted and a little moist to help dust fall out of the air.

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I have my clear cover on the screen, because Apple kid told me his iPhone got micro-scratch just putting in his pocket...

so I had no hesitation to buy it when I got my 3G iPhone.

I have no idea if the cover really helps, but somewhat it gives me peace of mind that i got protection... LOL.

and Yes, I cleaned the screen before I put the cover on.

V Diddy

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
anyone else have input? how about all you people who go naked.. do your screens get scratched simply being in your pocket?

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Bottom line.

Glass. Will scratch.

Do a search in the iPhone forums on this and you'll probably get the idea.

iphone1027

Bronze
Jul 2, 2008
I have the anti glare protector & I love it. Not only does it reduce glare but it also adds a feel of traction when using your finger ok the screen. Additionally I hate fingerprints & smudge marks on the screen so the protector prevents that. I agree that glass is glass of will eventually scratch. So personally I would add a screen protector.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
my phone is currently "naked", but thats because the crystal covers are out everywhere and I don't like the frosted look of the anti-glare (available everywhere!)

I just hope I don't put "that" scratch into the phone before I can get one.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I use the anti-glare Crystal Film and like it. What you lose in "amazing clarity" is more than made up for in 0 fingerprints and smudges. Plus, a few wipes up and down with your finger across the screen cleans any oil that may be on it from holding it to your face. You have to be careful and wipe the screen very well with something like a microfiber cloth then apply the film quickly to make sure you don't get any dust under it.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I've used both the anti-glare and crystal clear screen protectors before. Now I just stick with the crystal clear ones. I like the added security and the clear one really doesn't take away any of the LCD's brilliance. They actually get scratches on them as well, but for a nominal fee you can peel it off and apply a new one.

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
the one that you put over your screen..

my sister and i just got it and it came with 2, so she put hers on and i put mine.. but after i applied mine, you can see about 2-3 pieces of lint that got caught in the adhesive and they left some pretty noticeable spots.. so i just took the dang thing off.

is it really necessary? i mean.. the screen already is pretty scratch-resistant.. even in the demo they rubbed some keys on it and not a scratch.

let me know! maybe i can return it and just say that it was defective =P

O yes, another Charger fan in the HOUSEeeeeeeeeeeeee... this is our year for sure....

I got an anti-glare on my iPhone so far.... I am thinking of going completely naked... I want to touch my glass..... I don't care if I mess up this phone because I'm keeping it until the next iPhone anyway.... peace go CHARGERS!

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
many people fell for the scratch resistant claim for v1. They then put their phone in their pocket only to pull it out and notice, well, scratches. They swear up and down that keys were in a different pocket than the phone. I think micro sand And every day dirt would be the culprit.

When trying to put the crystal cover on don't peel the whole thing off at once. Start one edge lined up with the home button and peel as you go while at the same time smoothing out air bubbles. It helps to do it around an air cleaner or a room like your bathroom that isn't carpeted and a little moist to help dust fall out of the air.
This is absolutely correct, with v1 I had the crystal cover on for several months, a couple of months ago I decided to take it off and never bothered to replace it. I would put the phone in my pocket or purse, well I don't know in which one it happened but my screen had 1 ugly noticeable scratch on it. I will not have v2 naked. I ordered an invisible shield for front and back. Can't wait til' it gets here cause I'm paranoid v2 is going to get a scratch.

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
The Invisible Shield is a great product, but it has sort of a tacky feel to it, which makes my finger kind of stick and drag when I do swipes on the screen. I've tried every form of iPhone case/protection there is out there (and that is almost literally true, I hate to admit), and I think the Crystal film sets are by far the best. The are very smooth to the touch and fit very well, and are nearly indestructible - mine lasts for months and months.

I personally prefer the crystal clear one over the anti-glare one. The anti-glare version will definitely hide the fingerprints and smudges better than anything else you can put on your screen. But IMO, the screen loses some of its brilliance...it makes it look kind of grainy or pixelated. The Crystal screen looks just like the naked screen - dazzling hi res brilliance, but shows all the smears and fingerprints. So really it just depends on what's more important to you. I watch a ton of video, so obviously the screen clarity is most important to me.

But either way, why wouldn't you put a cover on the screen? Even if you don't plan on keeping it any longer than whenever the next version of the iPhone comes out, you can still get a better price on eBay if there are no screen scratches. :)

z28black98

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I have used the crystal films since day one. The anti-glare films look grainy. I don't care for that at all. It all depends on what your preferences are. I have used the crystal films and love it. It does show fingerprints and smudges, but it doesn't bother me at all. I also have an echoshield black case on my V1. It is 100% protected. Only scratch on the phone itself is on the back, my fiancee knocked it out of my hands in the kitchen on the 2nd day I got it, before the echoshield arrived in the mail. Other then that, its PERFECT!

Jul 7, 2007
You can use films, for sure, but it is possible to "go naked" and be fine. I got my 1st gen iPhone on day 1 and I've never used a film (or a case, for that matter), and my screen is completely scratch free. After a year of constant use there is not one mark at all, and I keep it in my pocket, behind my wallet. The back of my phone has some small scratches and blemishes, but not the screen.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The Invisible Shield is a great product, but it has sort of a tacky feel to it, which makes my finger kind of stick and drag when I do swipes on the screen. I've tried every form of iPhone case/protection there is out there (and that is almost literally true, I hate to admit), and I think the Crystal film sets are by far the best. The are very smooth to the touch and fit very well, and are nearly indestructible - mine lasts for months and months.

I personally prefer the crystal clear one over the anti-glare one. The anti-glare version will definitely hide the fingerprints and smudges better than anything else you can put on your screen. But IMO, the screen loses some of its brilliance...it makes it look kind of grainy or pixelated. The Crystal screen looks just like the naked screen - dazzling hi res brilliance, but shows all the smears and fingerprints. So really it just depends on what's more important to you. I watch a ton of video, so obviously the screen clarity is most important to me.

But either way, why wouldn't you put a cover on the screen? Even if you don't plan on keeping it any longer than whenever the next version of the iPhone comes out, you can still get a better price on eBay if there are no screen scratches. :)
This sums my opinion up perfectly.

The trick is to apply them correctly. It takes patience, skill, and luck all combined. But once you do it right, it should last for months and months.

I used to use antiglares, and they are quite a bit easier to apply because they're stiffer. They also cover microdust pretty well. But, like others here, I felt the image suffered too greatly, even for the other wonderful benefits.

So it's Crystal for me. Looks and feels just like glass. Why not do it?

V Diddy

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
O yes, another Charger fan in the HOUSEeeeeeeeeeeeee... this is our year for sure....

I got an anti-glare on my iPhone so far.... I am thinking of going completely naked... I want to touch my glass..... I don't care if I mess up this phone because I'm keeping it until the next iPhone anyway.... peace go CHARGERS!
whoooooooo!

i just hope gates is back to 100% by week 1... and hardwick.